M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed I have a slight tick sound when cruising, also I might be crazy but it seems like the front brake is sticking. When I pull the front brake in should I see the pads move? Also I decided to check the oil level since I just changed it last week. I cruised around for awhile then came in the garage, shut it down and let it cool down for 3 minutes while I sat on it and kept it level. I checked the oil after 3 minutes and its not showing up on the dipstick. I leaned it over on the stand and then let it sit for a couple more minutes and its in the middle. Is this correct or should it be showing it up when the bike is level?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I noticed I have a slight tick sound when cruising, also I might be crazy but it seems like the front brake is sticking. When I pull the front brake in should I see the pads move? Also I decided to check the oil level since I just changed it last week. I cruised around for awhile then came in the garage, shut it down and let it cool down for 3 minutes while I sat on it and kept it level. I checked the oil after 3 minutes and its not showing up on the dipstick. I leaned it over on the stand and then let it sit for a couple more minutes and its in the middle. Is this correct or should it be showing it up when the bike is level?
Oil level should be checked with the bike in the upright postion.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
No doubt checking the oil on this bike is a PITA. I believe that even after riding you need to let the motor idle for 15 minutes and do the 3 minute cool down while vertical to get an accurate reading. After getting an accurate reading....lean the bike on it's side stand and read it again. Now check before riding and it should be where it was while on the side stand. If these things start failing due to low oil level, the class action suit would be a slam dunk. Wish we either has a sight glass or a easy to read dipstick check

·
Registered
917 Posts
Your brake pads are always just riding on the surface of the rotors, you will not see the pads move when you apply the brakes.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,940 Posts
Do the cold check on it, it's easier and just as reliable.

Park the bike overnight or for several hours. While the bike is still on the side stand and before you move or start it, pull the dipstick out and see what it reads. It will read the same as doing the 15/3 hot check. Just be sure and don't move the bike at all before you check it. And don't pull the dipstick out and sit it back in like the hot check, just remove it and read it.

I've done mine like that for 3 years now, and so have a lot of others. But it needs to sit long enough for the oil to drain down for this to work, you can't just lean it over hot and check it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts