M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Just under 2000 miles I got my bike Dyno'ed and since then the thing shifts from 1st to 2nd without the loud clunk sound. I have 2300 miles on now.

The rear brake squeeking started up just a bit ago and today I took the rear caliper off and spun the one pad out and coated both metal surfaces with CRC Brake Quiet. Took less than 30 minutes with drying time and now no more squeek.

Funny thing I am experimenting with rite now is I first used Sunoco Ultra (which is 93 oct. was 94 oct) and comparing my gas milage with Citgo 93 oct. I get better gas milage with Citgo gas. Unscientific but I am satisfied with the results. JOHN

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hmm...I dunno scientifically, but I'll take a stab.

It burns slower, so it lasts longer, so you can use the gas longer, so your mileage increases.

You just get (I think with the higher compression engines that require it) less power for the longer miles.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
wildwolf said:
Hmm...I dunno scientifically, but I'll take a stab.

It burns slower, so it lasts longer, so you can use the gas longer, so your mileage increases.

You just get (I think with the higher compression engines that require it) less power for the longer miles.
I'm not seeing how this is true. The fact that the gas burns slower (if that is the case) should have no bearing on fuel mileage because the injectors are going to inject a certain amount of fuel each stroke... be it 94 or 93 or 92 octane. Anything that does not get burned goes out the exhaust, not used. Fuel mileage is directly related to how much you twist the "go" side of the bars. The harder you twist it, the more fuel the injectors send, the lower your gas mileage. It's determined in the MAP of the computer. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Lower octane burns faster. The higher the octane the more "controlled" the burn. So with lower and the faster burn you get more power. It can sometimes produce knock in a higher compression engine.

G

·
I have been waiting for the whole OCTANE Post.

If you run HIGER Octane than required you will be detuning your engine.

You should run the lowest possible OCTANE without pre-ignition.

If you run Higer Octane than required you are essentially lowering your compression ratio, or piston capacity.

Lower OCTANE equals faster burn, bigger explosion, Lower (Flash Point) Heat, Lower Pressure. (Nitro Cellulose Gun Powder)

Higer OCTANE equals Slower burn, smaller explosion, Higher (Flash Point) Heat, Higher Pressure. (Black Powder)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
raw_taz said:
I have been waiting for the whole OCTANE Post.

If you run HIGER Octane than required you will be detuning your engine.

You should run the lowest possible OCTANE without pre-ignition.

If you run Higer Octane than required you are essentially lowering your compression ratio, or piston capacity.

Lower OCTANE equals faster burn, bigger explosion, Lower Heat, Lower Pressure. (Nitro Cellulose Gun Powder)

Higer OCTANE equals Slower burn, smaller explosion, Higher Heat, Higher Pressure. (Black Powder)
I have no training in this fuel characteristics field BUT:

...I always understood that Higher Octane was required for higher compression ratios to REDUCE heat. IE if I want to run full boost in my Godzilla (effectively upping the compression of the fuel/air mix) I need Av/Gas or 100+ octane to stop detonation and the extra heat (from the added fuel per cycle) from cooking my pistons. Have I got this wrong?
:read:

·
Registered
752 Posts
raw_taz said:
Here are some posts on the VTX board that may clarify. They have different problem (low compression motor) but if we use the recommended octane or lowest possible without knocking or Detonation your bike will run best.
+1 :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry People...I didn't mean to start a whole octain thing. Sunoco Ultra (at least in my neighborhood) is no longer 94 but is now 93 octain. I was comparing Citgo 93 to Sunoco 93. I seem to get 10 more miles using Citgo gas when the 1st fuel bar disappears. I fill up when the blinking lite comes on.
As far as the Dyno results - 106.47 HP 101.37 Torque and 110.47 HP and 98.24

The fuel/air curve pretty much follows the other Dyno's found on this website.
I was going to put a Power Commander on it but ya know, It's plenty fast for me as is.

Now for the DISS - a guy with a beautiful well known bike came in with $8000.00 of engine work and was almost at this stock M109R level. This is a nice bike. JOHN

G

·
mack400 said:
Sorry People...I didn't mean to start a whole octain thing. Sunoco Ultra (at least in my neighborhood) is no longer 94 but is now 93 octain. I was comparing Citgo 93 to Sunoco 93. I seem to get 10 more miles using Citgo gas when the 1st fuel bar disappears. I fill up when the blinking lite comes on.Â
As far as the Dyno results - 106.47 HP 101.37 Torque and 110.47 HP and 98.24

The fuel/air curve pretty much follows the other Dyno's found on this website.
I was going to put a Power Commander on it but ya know, It's plenty fast for me as is.

Now for the DISS - a guy with a beautiful well known bike came in with $8000.00 of engine work and was almost at this stock M109R level. This is a nice bike.  JOHN
I had the same scenario with my VTX at a Dyno Shoot out stock bike beat the $34,000 well known bike the guy was pissed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts