M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I find that I have to countersteer like crazy on the 109 but not near as much on my GSXR (bodysteer it more).

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I find that I have to countersteer like crazy on the 109 but not near as much on my GSXR (bodysteer it more).
Even with the E3 tires? I found that it takes little effort with these tires. Bike falls into the curves pretty effortlessly.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Isnt counter steering how one steers a motorcycle at speed? Push right, go left.
I believe its just the opposite push right go right, push left go left. the front wheel is pointing in the opposite direction of your lean

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
It's pretty much an automatic reaction . I really only become aware of it in a sharp curve when I lean her over pretty good. Or hit a long curve at high speed.

It's something you need to practice at straight crusing speed (70Mph) on the road for obstacle avoidance. I say that because most people will target fixate on an obstacle and run it over.

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
643 Posts
I believe its just the opposite push right go right, push left go left. the front wheel is pointing in the opposite direction of your lean
The front wheel does point just slightly opposite of your lean, but to go left, you do push right and vice versa.

And it isn't much of a push either...

·
Registered
216 Posts
countersteer

:agree: Go on YouTube and watch some of the instructional videos for motorcycle countersteer. The visual will prove the quote above!!

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
it is not automatic

You have to do more than lean, some have wrecked by just trying to lean more to make a hard curve, if they push on the bar on the right as in a right hand turn it will turn the wheel slightely left and cause the bike to lean more to the right and make the turn, but you guys know this

Doc

·
Registered
361 Posts
Let me see, to go right I need to turn left and to go left I need to turn right.
Or was that the opposite? I thought I was always going the wrong way because I was old now I know it's because I don't know which way to turn.

·
Registered
643 Posts
it's actually push right go right and push left go left. everybody does it. it's a good thing to practice too.
Originally Posted by Pharvey
Isnt counter steering how one steers a motorcycle at speed? Push right, go left.
I think we are all trying to say the same thing......"push right, go right" is referring to pushing your right hand (which steers the wheel slightly left) and leaning right to turn to the right. Some of us are reading into "push right" as moving the tire to the right as opposed to the hand, which would end up turning you left.

What's happening is when you push the right handle, the wheel turns left. Push left, the wheel turns right and through leaning, the bike turns to the left.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Some of you missed physics class .:eek: The front wheel is a gyro . Before you hustle a bike through some tight twisties at speed , you better figure that out . The gyro effect occurs at speeds above 20 MPH . If you want to go right , you better push right . Hence the term...COUNTERSTEERING !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts