M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, when I got my 07 M109 someone had already wired in a couple of cheap led strips below the back taillight, and the one of the right was doing the strobe. I ordered a relay from MeanCycles and had my dealer put it in the last time I was in for a new tire, the strobing was gone and I was happy.
I don't do much to the bike, I don't have time, so I pay to have stuff done generally, so my free time can be riding. But.... I decided I wanted a little better visibility and 12v electronics are usually not a big deal for me. So I purchased a new tail light(led with the integrated signals) and some new front turn signals. I also got the led switch bulbs for the front signals, and got new 1157 sockets, since the existing ones were in really poor shape.
Everything went fine with the tail light install, until I moved up front and started working on my front signals. I cleaned up a lot of old bad wiring from LED's and such that the previous owner had installed with just electrical tape and twisted wires, but I'm having an issue up front. I wired the first light up, everything was fine, but when I wired the second one, something went crazy. If I turn the turn signal on while the key is off, it works.... which has never been the case, but then when I turn the key on, I get the steady light, but no flash.... and then I noticed my taillight was staying on, and I had to turn on the key, turn on the flasher, then turn it off and turn off the key to get the tail light to turn off.
I think, but am not sure, that part, if not all, of my problem might be this resistor like apparatus that I found wired into the led strips for turn signals in the back. I took a pic of it, but the label is impossible to read, and I'm hoping someone on here might know what it is, and if I should just eliminate it. There are two purple wires and one black coming out of it. I will be glad to take any pics that are necessary for help. And I appreciate any and all suggestions. Here is the watchamacallit.....

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
That piece in the first post is probably a load resistor, folks used to use those so their turn signals would flash at the correct rate. If you're doing LED's front and rear, remove that and get an electronic flasher for it. That may also fix your other issues but I'm not sure. It's hard to troubleshoot wiring when you're not there looking at it..

I don't see where it says that comes with a relay, but I've never seen a two wire relay. The minimum you have to have is a 3 wire, which is one for the trigger source, power in, and power out, I'm not sure why you would need a relay for that setup anyway.

On the electronic flasher, they make two types. One just wires in line with your stock flasher relay by cutting a couple wires at the relay and splicing it in, the other replaces the flasher completely. The first is a little cheaper than the second, but the second is plug and play and is what most use

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok..... quick update, got em working, will explain later for any that might benefit. I like it! Details to follow in a few days.... gotta ride.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, took me a bit to find the time to post this info, but thought perhaps it would be useful someone else in the same boat. As I said, I don't typically work on my ride, I use the time I have to ride.... and leave the mechanical side to others who enjoy that sort of thing. I'm a bit on the bigger side, and tight spaces are not conducive to productivity for me. With that said, my local shop, which is over an hour away, would really have balked at the mods I was determined to install, so I opted to try it.
I purchased the combination tail light/signal light that I linked above, and it does come with a relay, which I will link here: LED Relay
The instructions for this are kind of helpful, but you have to play with it to get it to work. The instructions for the relay refer to the black wire and the red wire.... the relay actually came with a yellow wire and a black... so I tried just substituting the yellow for red, but that is actually the opposite of what was needed.
The instructions also recommended pushing the two wires out of the stock block and connecting to the relay, it came with a plastic modular plug that allowed me to push the wires directly onto the slides after removing them from the relay block, but after 3 attempts to tighten the clips and tape them inside the plug, they still managed to pull off and I lost turn signal flash, so I cut the ends off, used good crimpers and shrinkwrap and hard wired the new relay in. This solved the problem of not flashing. I did, as Zoom suggested, already remove the old load resistor, but it didn't seem to affect anything.
I already had an aftermarket led flasher put in, in the place of the factory flasher to solve the quick led flash, but this did not allow the tail light to flash, and when I hooked up the new led's in the front sockets, I didn't have enough juice thru the flasher to make everything work. I kept the LED flasher unit in place of the OEM flasher, as I didn't think to get the original back from the dealer when he installed the aftermarket. But with the additional relay installed that came with the tail light, everything works great.
One other mod I did, was replacing the front turn signals, I used the same type of mount and all, but replaced the OEM ones, as a previous owner had broken the seal and fasten on the lenses, and every time you wanted to change the bulbs, you had to cut a line of silicone that was holding the lens cover in, clean it all off, and then silicone it back in place. I also didn't care much for the special bulbs required and the sockets were a bit rusty. So bought some new sockets here: Turn signal sockets on Ebay I didn't care for the type of lights that came with these, but they beat the $200 I was quoted for factory, and I just gutted them and wired in new 1157 sockets from Advanced Auto so that I could use the dual switching bulbs like these: Flasher bulbs on Ebay.
The Beast looks great with the new lights, and as soon as I'm able to get some good pics of the lights all lit up, I'll post them for all.
If you are trying something like this, and need some help, reply to this post and I'll try my best to help guide you.
Ride, ride, ride.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts