M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas.

Just received my Metzeler tires from Direct Line and about to take them to the dealer to have them installed.

What is a fair price for them to charge me to install these tires and to also install new spark plugs?

Also, where do you guys get your plugs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Not sure if it was a fair price or not but I paid 70$ to have the Metzelers installed (Front and Rear). I hope you have good luck with the dealer installing your tires. My dealer wouldn't install tires not purchased from them. As a matter of fact none of the bike shops I found around here would do it.

Fortunately I have a good relationship with my dealer and he bought the tires for me off the web, then just charged me "Cost" for the tires.
In the end it all worked out the same for me but I guess it keeps them straight with the insurance companies.

Plugs I did myself, bought them from the steeler for about 4$ a piece.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Local shops here are the best for me. Dealers have quoted me $35, $40, and $60 for JUST my front tire (granted...I have tubed tires).

Found a new wrench I really like. Called him at 1 pm to ask if he could install that evening. His performance motorcycle shop is kinda off the beaten path. He agreed to do it, met me in town (pouring down the rain...I bet he didn't expect me to actually show up, lol) in his car so I could follow him home/to his shop. Put his helper guy on it while he worked with the other customer that had scheduled work in advance (some guy doing big $$$ mods to a FAST bike). He said he'd charge me $40 cause I didn't buy the tire from him.

I gladly paid the $40 for short notice work....and gave the guy that actually did the work another $10 for staying late to do it. Paid $50...more than I needed to, but the service for me was well worth it.

So: shop around. Look for local shops and not just at dealers. You may find somebody you want to do all your future work, like I did.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I get mine done for $20 a tire if I take the rim to him. If I take the bike to him it is $30 per tire. Either way I don`t think that is too bad of a price.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
WINGYS109 said:
I get mine done for $20 a tire if I take the rim to him. If I take the bike to him it is $30 per tire. Either way I don`t think that is too bad of a price.
This is true, all places I checked offered lower prices if I took the wheel & new tire vs. the whole bike.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer charged me $44 for the front, $59 for the rear, $46 for the plugs, and $74 to adjust the throttle body. And then I picked up the bike and they did not even clean the wheels. Pretty standard practice for that dealer.

My rear brake disc has some play in it that I thought was excessive, but the "17-year" suzuki mechanic there said that was the design of the bike and it is because of the shaft drive. Does anybody out there have this slop? You can grab the brake disc and it will move about 1/4" forward or aft, unlike the front discs, which do not move at all.

Oh yeah, the new Metzeler tires are awesome! Took a bit of getting used to, since these tires, compared to the stock ones, really allow the bike to lean over easier. I don't feel to push the bike over, or even hang a knee out on sharp turns.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The maintenance schedule for California models says that should be inspected at 600 miles. I told them to do it at the last service but there was no indication they did it on the last service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts