M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has already been covered but I couldn't find it on a search. I recently changed my oil - I added the required 3.8 qts. of oil, but according to the dipstick reading it is still almost a qt. low. I checked it hot just like suggested by Lamonster. Has anyone else experienced this? I have been driving it like this for a few days - scared to add oil for fear of overfilling it, and scared I don't have enough oil in it.  Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Make sure you let it warm up at least fifteen minutes and cool for 5. After my first oil change I checked the oil without letting it warm up enough and got a low reading also. After letting it warm up 15 min and then cooling for 5 it was right on the mark.

cdswank

·
Registered
961 Posts
Cash,

I kow what you're talking about. FYI... the .8 quarts comes to 25.6 oz. of oil. So, if you had the first 3 qts. and run it for 15 min. and then you add 23-25 oz. it should put you at the right oil level. This has been my experience.

C-One

PS. The total amount of oil in onces is 121, if you want to measure it perfectly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i wished someone could get an EXACT measure on this dam thing,,,i put 3qrts and 28ozs this time and checked as per the dam book,,,measured perfect on the stick and has been fine for 400 miles,UNTIL last night i did a 100mph run,,shifted at 6 grand every gear,got home and left side air box was puuuuucking oil,,took it apart and cleaned it out and the dam intake hose from the throttle body came loose so i had to remove tank to get it back on !! so right now im thinking wtf !!! my bandit 1200s never had any problems in the 5 years i had it !!! so i guess ill have to suck 2-3 more ounces out of the btch and try it again !!!

G

·
caliber said:
i wished someone could get an EXACT measure on this dam thing,,,i put 3qrts and 28ozs this time and checked as per the dam book,,,measured perfect on the stick and has been fine for 400 miles,UNTIL last night i did a 100mph run,,shifted at 6 grand every gear,got home and left side air box was puuuuucking oil,,took it apart and cleaned it out and the dam intake hose from the throttle body came loose so i had to remove tank to get it back on !! so right now im thinking wtf !!! my bandit 1200s never had any problems in the 5 years i had it !!! so i guess ill have to suck 2-3 more ounces out of the btch and try it again !!!
Well you overfilled by 4 oz at least.

Every one should be putting in 3600 ML to start which is 120 ozs, with a filter change. Then you check and top off, which may require another 2 oz. And with a dry sump 4 oz overfill is a lot.

It does need a sight glass for sure.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I believe 3600ML is the same as 3.8 QTS. If you've added 3.8 QTS you are OK. I check oil after the bike is totally warmed up. I shut it off and wait exactly 3 minutes before checking. It shows full every time. If I wait 4 minutes it shows 1/2 QT low. If I wait 5 minutes it shows 1 QT low. At least this is my experience. :doorag:

G

·
red1951man said:
I believe 3600ML is the same as 3.8 QTS. If you've added 3.8 QTS you are OK.  I check oil after the bike is totally warmed up. I shut it off and wait exactly 3 minutes before checking. It shows full every time. If I wait 4 minutes it shows 1/2 QT low. If I wait 5 minutes it shows 1 QT low. At least this is my experience.  :doorag:
3.8 = 121.6 oz
3600 ml = 120 oz

He put 124 oz in.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Folks:

Regarding trying to get "exactly" 3.8 quarts of oil into the bike......just do 3.750 quarts.....the difference in the amount is about the equivalent to a good mouthful of spit. Your bike won't get overfilled and there will be no shortage of oil in the crank case as you will have a total of 4.750 quarts in your bike. Your bike was originally filled at the factory with with 5 quarts of oil. When you drain your oil and remove the filter you're only removing 3.8 quarts of dirty oil from the bike. Approximately 1.2 quarts of dirty oil remains in the bike!

Visit page 2-17 of the Service Manual and you'll find some interesting info...Suzuki, the manufacturer, recommends the following:

Oil Change .....First Change 600 miles and every 4000 miles or 12 months thereafter.   

Filter Change.....First Change 600 miles and every 11,000 miles or 36 months thereafter.

More frequent changes are simply at the discretion to the owner! Regarding the oil level remember KISS....."Keep It Short & Simple". Notice I didn't refer to KISS as "Keep it Simple Stupid"! That's because we have all smart people on this board :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Very good advice Bob. That is exactly what i did at the 600 mile service, and haven't had a problem yet.
:a18:

·
Registered
70 Posts
ok i went out and removed 2oz of oil,,did a 15 minute warm up,,3 minute pause time and checked it,,it shows about 1\8 inch below the full mark now !!! so im gonna run it there and do another 100mph run and see if it puuuks the air filter again ill let ya know !!! :evil:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I always warm up for 15 minutes at least before changing oil. I measure what comes out and put the same back in. first oil change at 600 miles I got 4 qts out. drained on the sidestand and standing vertical. second oil change at 1200 miles same routine and got 3.8 qts out. as long as I put back in what I got out I never overfilled. always on the mark when checking oil the Suzuki way (15 min warm up 3 min shutdown). I used Repsol 10-50w full synthetic this last time. Oh and by the way, when filling up with oil the first 3 qts goes in then it will be full up to the top of the dipstick hole. put dipstick in started for a second and once the oil filter filled I could add the rest otherwise it would be all over the bike/ground. Don't ask how I know this. ::)

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
red1951man said:
...wait exactly 3 minutes before checking. It shows full every time. If I wait 4 minutes it shows 1/2 QT low. If I wait 5 minutes it shows 1 QT low...
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
bob109 said:
Folks:

Regarding trying to get "exactly" 3.8 quarts of oil into the bike......just do 3.750 quarts.....the difference in the amount is about the equivalent to a good mouthful of spit. Your bike won't get overfilled and there will be no shortage of oil in the crank case as you will have a total of 4.750 quarts in your bike. Your bike was originally filled at the factory with with 5 quarts of oil. When you drain your oil and remove the filter you're only removing 3.8 quarts of dirty oil from the bike. Approximately 1.2 quarts of dirty oil remains in the bike!

Visit page 2-17 of the Service Manual and you'll find some interesting info...Suzuki, the manufacturer, recommends the following:

Oil Change .....First Change 600 miles and every 4000 miles or 12 months thereafter.

Filter Change.....First Change 600 miles and every 11,000 miles or 36 months thereafter.

More frequent changes are simply at the discretion to the owner! Regarding the oil level remember KISS....."Keep It Short & Simple". Notice I didn't refer to KISS as "Keep it Simple Stupid"! That's because we have all smart people on this board :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
OK
pn page 2-18 of the manual it states

Oil Change : 3.4 L ( 3.6/3.0 US/Imp qt)
Oil & Filter change : 3.6 L ( 3.8/3.2 US/Imp qt)
Engine Overhaul : 4.7 L ( 5.0/4.1 US/Imp qt)

Since I will always change my filter with my oil I will use 3.8 US qts.

WHAT THE HELL IS THE ENGINE OVERHAUL??? Is that where the 3rd plug comes in???
Is it nor mal to leave 20% of the dirty oil in a MC when changing??

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
sledzep01 said:
OK
pn page 2-18 of the manual it states

Oil Change      : 3.4 L ( 3.6/3.0 US/Imp qt)
Oil & Filter change : 3.6 L ( 3.8/3.2Â US/Imp qt)
Engine Overhaul  : 4.7 L ( 5.0/4.1 US/Imp qt)

Since I will always change my filter with my oil I will use 3.8 US qts.

WHAT THE HELL IS THE ENGINE OVERHAUL??? Is that where the 3rd plug comes in???
Is it nor mal to leave 20% of the dirty oil in a MC when changing??

Sledzep
Engine overhaul is completely dismantling the engine, which includes separating the two halves of the lower engine case. When you do this, engine oil is completely removed from all lower engine cavities where 1.2 quarts of dirty oil remains until the engine case is separated, hence each time you change your oil you only remove 3.8 quarts of dirty oil even with the filter and two oil drain plugs removed. It may seem ludicrous but the fact of the matter is, all the oil is never completely removed (1.2 quarts), unless the cases are parted. Knowing this you now know why people are going above and beyond with the oil fill procedure. Practice KISS and put 3.75 quarts of oil in and the OIL OVERFILL ISSUE is gone! It truly is that simple :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
330 Posts
ok this is weird i know im over filled on oil. and several times today i was over 100mph. and no oil out the air filter. i keep checking to see if im spuing oil. and am not???? so i dont know i put almost 4 full quarts in about 1000 miles ago. im using royal purple 15w40 and the royal purple 75/190 gear lube. and no probs :dontknow:

·
Registered
211 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
the fifteen minute thing is the key,it's a semi -dry sump and the oil is stored in the tranny section, so you have to warm it up thouroughly to get everything up to operating temps and fully expanded
Yup, that the right way to do it, Trust me.

·
Registered
401 Posts
For what its worth I have exactly 4qts in her and have ran 100+ several times and no problems. Also don't know if he knows what he is talking about or not the service manager at a local shop said the 3rd drain the brass looking one is used with the other two to help it drain better. But I agree this whole oil thing was not thought out by Suzuki and is a pain in the arss.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
correct me if im wrong. i didnt know you could tell by the dipstick that you'd be qt. low. i think it takes alot less than that to not read on the dipstick.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts