M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Lady in red (2015 M109R Red/Black) and me are a pretty new couple, so I'm learning cornering specific to this bike, I got it on Tuesday and so far I got only 400 miles on it.

The bike is incredibly stable and that rear tire has super grip, I think with practice we could take corners in a very aggressive way, but I wan to learn to do it in a fun efficient way.

First thing I noticed is that the rear tire gyroscopic effect is very noticeable, so straights are stable and returning form leaning is almost automatic, a little bit of ass to the side can counter it and let you lean into the curve so is not the big deal some people told me.

Second thing I learned is when downshifting you have to rev it up a bit after clutch pull or that huge engine is going to slow you down a lot, I know you could engage the clutch more slowly to ease it, but that would mean unnecessary wear on it. so tips here are welcome.

And about cornering... first I tried braking light before corner, using a lower gear and throttle to control speed inside the curve, and exiting a bit hard, it really works, but the fuel consumption skyrockets this way, I think is because of all the weight I'm accelerating and decelerating with the engine. medium curves I take on third, steep ones on second gear. I could try braking harder in the first part of the curve using a light touch on the front brake, or a little more on the back brake instead of using mainly throttle, what do you think is more efficient Throttle? Front? Rear?

Finally... I planned to ride 730 miles this last weekend (to take her to her first oil change) but had to cancel my Sunday Ride due to a huge case of saddlesore, I never had it before and I have had sessions of over 20 hours riding, my butt where the crack begins got very sore and swollen, I think it's because I'm 6'2 and my back contacts the end of the front seat too much and also this rides suspension is a lot stiffer than the M50, if I make it softer, could it adversely affect the very good stability It now has? can I fix all this with a seat cover?, Gel? Lambskin? I want to be able to ride at least 16 hours with her nonstop.

Remember, no general comments about any kind of bike, we all know they are all different, I want advice specific to 109 and Stock model in particular and those are very appreciated.

Still very in love with my lady in red and finding every time new things that make me feel very lucky of having found her.

·
Registered
669 Posts
My Lady in red (2015 M109R Red/Black) and me are a pretty new couple, so I'm learning cornering specific to this bike, I got it on Tuesday and so far I got only 400 miles on it.

The bike is incredibly stable and that rear tire has super grip, I think with practice we could take corners in a very aggressive way, but I wan to learn to do it in a fun efficient way.

First thing I noticed is that the rear tire gyroscopic effect is very noticeable, so straights are stable and returning form leaning is almost automatic, a little bit of ass to the side can counter it and let you lean into the curve so is not the big deal some people told me.

Second thing I learned is when downshifting you have to rev it up a bit after clutch pull or that huge engine is going to slow you down a lot, I know you could engage the clutch more slowly to ease it, but that would mean unnecessary wear on it. so tips here are welcome.

And about cornering... first I tried braking light before corner, using a lower gear and throttle to control speed inside the curve, and exiting a bit hard, it really works, but the fuel consumption skyrockets this way, I think is because of all the weight I'm accelerating and decelerating with the engine. medium curves I take on third, steep ones on second gear. I could try braking harder in the first part of the curve using a light touch on the front brake, or a little more on the back brake instead of using mainly throttle, what do you think is more efficient Throttle? Front? Rear?

Finally... I planned to ride 730 miles this last weekend (to take her to her first oil change) but had to cancel my Sunday Ride due to a huge case of saddlesore, I never had it before and I have had sessions of over 20 hours riding, my butt where the crack begins got very sore and swollen, I think it's because I'm 6'2 and my back contacts the end of the front seat too much and also this rides suspension is a lot stiffer than the M50, if I make it softer, could it adversely affect the very good stability It now has? can I fix all this with a seat cover?, Gel? Lambskin? I want to be able to ride at least 16 hours with her nonstop.

Remember, no general comments about any kind of bike, we all know they are all different, I want advice specific to 109 and Stock model in particular and those are very appreciated.

Still very in love with my lady in red and finding every time new things that make me feel very lucky of having found her.
You could buy aset of Suzuki gel seats and go for 'full cut' which sits you back a little more which may suit your height better. Plenty love the gel seats for comfort.
I have a corbin and have no complaints with it, but they are more expensive than oem gel. Or others say ultimate make good seats.
Its an individual thing and without trying them, youre never going to know.
Re the cornering thing....I find after trying to keep up with my mates on sports bikes that the aggressive nature I use (from when I used to run sports bikes) chews up tires really quickly. Smooth cornering using a combination of engine/brakes is I think the best way, but more importantly; do whatever feels best and flows well for you.

Just my opinion.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,887 Posts
You can push the 9 over to the point that you are dragging your exhaust and even hard points on the frame. Getting rid of the stock tires will help with that. Here are a couple of articles I just stumbled upon that may also help: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/tags/cornering

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Twisty road riding in this beast chews up fuel and tires quick,but it's so much fun..proper gear selection, speed crucial ..

as far as seats,go with your size the ultimate is to puffy and will crowd you..full cut gel or Corbin depending on your budget,will give you the long days in the saddle..

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
As far as seats are concerned, there are a few options out there. One of the most expensive and comfortable seat options is the Corbin seat. However, the Suzuki Full Cut Gel Seat may be your best bet, if you need a bit more leg room, or room to sit back further on the seat.

As for how the bike should be operated...no two riders operate a bike exactly alike. You have to spend some time in the seat, and determine what works best for you. Accidents happen often, when riders try to ride at someone else's riding level. Keep in mind also...the 9 can not and should not be ridden like a sportbike, because the likelihood that you will lose control of the bike is very, very high. The law of physics, the style and the weight of the bike makes the 9 unsuitable to being ridden like a sportbike. Many members of this forum have made that mistake, and they have paid the price. The 9 is a muscle sport crusier, not a sportbike...and respect and much consideration should be given to the fact. Sure, you can ride a bit aggressively on the 9, but don't try to push the bike like it's a sportbike. Having ridden sportbikes for over 20 years, I tried pushing my first 9 in and out of curves and corners like a sportbike, and I found out quickly that it is not possible, and extremely dangerous. Thank God I was able to regain control, and I have never and will never do that again.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
As for shock setting in the back. I'm 6'2" 170 pounds. I set my stock rear shock on the softest setting the day I bought the bike, Numero Uno. I've never changed it to any other setting and am quite happy with it, softens up the ride without adversely affecting the cornering. Of course I do not have that many curves where I live, just one 13 mile road around a lake that I know like the back of my hand. And a bunch of cloverleaf on ramps which my bike loves.

Gas mileage? You didn't buy an 1800cc DOHC four valve per cylinder motorcycle to get good gas mileage now, did you? Stock mine was pretty damn good on trips, not particularly around town. But now, with a 2-into-1 pipe, Big Air filters and a tuner, it's pretty bad. Around town can vary from mid 20's to mid 30's. Highway I'm doing good to get 40 mpg. LOL

Yeah, the stock seat sucks. I've not bothered to replace it because the aftermarket seats are too pricey for me. Not that I can't afford them, just rather keep the money in the bank, not someone else's pocket. Since I have to stop for gas every 100 miles or so anyhow, that works for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
on gas mileage i wish they had it like the c90 and could but and extra tank on i went from Houston to Shreveport it would have been nice to not have to stop twice in 250 ish miles. i do know soon I will be getting the back rest to help out like yall im a big dude 6'5 320lbs and my seat wasnt too bad for the trip cbxer55 said with only being able to do 100 or so miles before butt pain could set in it was time to gas up.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I feel very qualified to respond to your cornering concerns. I ride with a group of 109 owners twice a year doing 200 mile days of North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia's finest mountain roads including but not exclusively the Dragon Tail, Moonshiner, Hell bender and BRP. Between our meets I will take several trips on my own to the same places.
I suggest that you replace the front springs asap as they are for a 90 lb weakling. Try at least a .95 kg.
Also keep your stock height on the rear for cornering clearance. A better shock is also recommended.
Everyone has their style of cornering but this bike demands that you force it to lean farther than it naturally feels comfortable. Switching to a Metz 260 will help with that. Your peg feelers will suffer so most of us switch to titanium pucks. There is a lot of lash in the trans so I use my clutch to help smooth out the transition between entering and exiting even tho I know it's more wear on it. I can replace the plates easily. Some of us use a little front brake to help tighten the turn. These bikes need a slipper type clutch due to the enormous compression.... be careful letting out the clutch in a down shift as you enter a corner, you might get some wheel hop.
Even with stock height I have bottomed out on hard parts so there is a limit.
And my biggest suggestion....
Don't ever fool yourself into thinking that these big ole' hippos can corner. They simply can't. They are called "Boulevard" for a good reason. You will find out some day the hard way when a girl on a CBR250 passes you on the Dragon while you think you are smoking it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I feel very qualified to respond to your cornering concerns. I ride with a group of 109 owners twice a year doing 200 mile days of North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia's finest mountain roads including but not exclusively the Dragon Tail, Moonshiner, Hell bender and BRP. Between our meets I will take several trips on my own to the same places.
I suggest that you replace the front springs asap as they are for a 90 lb weakling. Try at least a .95 kg.
Also keep your stock height on the rear for cornering clearance. A better shock is also recommended.
Everyone has their style of cornering but this bike demands that you force it to lean farther than it naturally feels comfortable. Switching to a Metz 260 will help with that. Your peg feelers will suffer so most of us switch to titanium pucks. There is a lot of lash in the trans so I use my clutch to help smooth out the transition between entering and exiting even tho I know it's more wear on it. I can replace the plates easily. Some of us use a little front brake to help tighten the turn. These bikes need a slipper type clutch due to the enormous compression.... be careful letting out the clutch in a down shift as you enter a corner, you might get some wheel hop.
Even with stock height I have bottomed out on hard parts so there is a limit.
And my biggest suggestion....
Don't ever fool yourself into thinking that these big ole' hippos can corner. They simply can't. They are called "Boulevard" for a good reason. You will find out some day the hard way when a girl on a CBR250 passes you on the Dragon while you think you are smoking it.
Great suggestions. Fork springs and shock are definitely a must.

Lol about the knee dragging chick coming around you when you are so low you're grinding your frame!

I haven't made the changes to my suspension. After all, this is what the Arizona dragon looks like...

Taz

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Great suggestions. Fork springs and shock are definitely a must.

Lol about the knee dragging chick coming around you when you are so low you're grinding your frame!

I haven't made the changes to my suspension. After all, this is what the Arizona dragon looks like...

Taz
LOL That must be North AZ.. Going through the reservation. I did that in an oil burning 68 impala. Used more oil then it did gas LOL.

And contra bro, There is some nice twisties in AZ.

OPPS, LOL

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
LOL That must be North AZ.. Going through the reservation. I did that in an oil burning 68 impala. Used more oil then it did gas LOL.

And contra bro, There is some nice twisties in AZ.

OPPS, LOL
Watch out for the Law in AZ.....Some are Speed Deamons.....

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
Seats are always a tough discussion since the correct answer has to fit your personal arse.
Riding a buddy's seat for a while isn't really much help since it has taken a 'set' to his arse and not yours.
And riding anything for a short amount of time won't give you much valuable info either, unless it's all bad info.

In my case, I spend a week each year riding the mountains of TN & NC with a fun group of guys than live down there.
After four years of monkey-butt on the stock seat my 200+ lbs needed something else for those 13-16 hour runs from NY to TN.
Instead of asking them for their recommendations I just wandered around the group during one of our 350+ mile day-rides,
and noticed that more than half the group (a mix of HD's, Suzuki's, GoldWings, etc) had seats made by Ultimate.

So I bought one last winter when the snow melted in NY,..... and tried it for a week.
Then I put it away until I started getting the bike ready for this years run down.
I spent a month on it before the trip to give us both a chance to get used to each other.

16hr runs . . . . best money I ever spent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts