M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I ordered a corbin seat eight weeks ago, and have been waiting patiently. I spoke with a nice customer service rep about the sizing and layout, and was very confident going into this purchase. God was I wrong. The seat I got today was a piece of crap. First, the leather panels are of such varied quality that I'm not even sure they are the same finish. Second, the seat doesn't rest on the contact points: it sits on my side panels and cowl, causing them to creak. Third, on one side they cheaped out and used an ill fitting scrap of leather, which doesn't wrap all the way around the edge: the rivets don't pass through it, but rather pinch it down: also the rivets had to be moved down, so now they rub the paint on my side panel. There are also exposed rivets on the nose of the seat that rub directly on my freshly painted tank. The stitch lines are also not remotely symmetrical. How the hell did this thing even make it out of the shop and into the mail? I'd better hear from someone first thing tomorrow. Dammit, why didn't I just go with baldy latino?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The guys at Corbin had obviously never seen your avatar pic, if they had they would have hand delivered it and thrown you a raw porterhouse so they could make a clean escape. Then they would have called to see if you were satisfied with the fit and finish.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha ha, That's what I was thinking. I already get made fun of for being huge, now my seat creaks and everyone is going to assume its 'cause I'm a fatty. "I saw a fat guy on a motorcycle yesterday", "HOW FAT WAS HE?", "So fat his seat was creaking". Dammit!

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
that sucks. for the outrageous prices they charge for their products, they better get things right the first, every time. hope you get it all straightened out. get a 100% refund and then give baldylatino the business.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Ha ha, That's what I was thinking. I already get made fun of for being huge, now my seat creaks and everyone is going to assume its 'cause I'm a fatty. "I saw a fat guy on a motorcycle yesterday", "HOW FAT WAS HE?", "So fat his seat was creaking". Dammit!
I didn't realize you were such a large fella, sorry if I touched a sore spot.

that sucks. for the outrageous prices they charge for their products, they better get things right the first, every time. hope you get it all straightened out. get a 100% refund and then give baldylatino the business.
:agree:Baldylatino does great work. My seat is great and I am very happy with the quality of his work.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No sore spot JD: I'm generally the jolly type of fat guy, not the angry loner type of fat guy. And I live in a city full of "Chubby chasers", so other than the seat issue (and the risk of early heart attack), I'm all good. BTW, how are you liking your stripe? I believe I read that you got the online order/install yourself stripe... still happy with it?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
sorry you got such a crap seat ihave a corbin and had opposite experience thank god. i did cringe ordering mine hearing some of the horror stories about their service first id send it back second none of them fit well wiout shimming the rear pegs i put a couple washers in mine so it fit perfect

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I swapped out the rear corbin pegs with the pegs off my stock seat. Might have to try putting a few washers under the others... thanks for the idea. You'd think for $800 they'd get it right... that's like 4 meals for me.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
So, I ordered a corbin seat eight weeks ago, and have been waiting patiently. I spoke with a nice customer service rep about the sizing and layout, and was very confident going into this purchase. God was I wrong. The seat I got today was a piece of crap. First, the leather panels are of such varied quality that I'm not even sure they are the same finish. Second, the seat doesn't rest on the contact points: it sits on my side panels and cowl, causing them to creak. Third, on one side they cheaped out and used an ill fitting scrap of leather, which doesn't wrap all the way around the edge: the rivets don't pass through it, but rather pinch it down: also the rivets had to be moved down, so now they rub the paint on my side panel. There are also exposed rivets on the nose of the seat that rub directly on my freshly painted tank. The stitch lines are also not remotely symmetrical. How the hell did this thing even make it out of the shop and into the mail? I'd better hear from someone first thing tomorrow. Dammit, why didn't I just go with baldy latino?
I wish you had a chance to read the threads for the M90 guys before order from Corbin!!!! You'll know what I'm talking about...
I was very close to order a bunch of stuff from them when I had my M90. Decided to use the money trading to my new 9 instead. Sorry to hear you're having problems... but not surprised.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
No sore spot JD: I'm generally the jolly type of fat guy, not the angry loner type of fat guy. And I live in a city full of "Chubby chasers", so other than the seat issue (and the risk of early heart attack), I'm all good. BTW, how are you liking your stripe? I believe I read that you got the online order/install yourself stripe... still happy with it?
I love my stripe but used a local sign making company to cut my design. Signs Now in Springfield, I am sure they could mail you a stripe if you can't find a business close to you that will do it. They do great work and are relatively cheap, I spent $90 for 3 seperate stripes and they installed my back stripe for free when I told em how I screwed up my first attempt. Lets just say lots of soapy water is your friend when you are applying vinyl.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's not what I wanted to hear! I have a Corbin on order and sure hope i have a better experience then you...:-\

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Circus Bear, I sure am sorry to hear what happened to you. My bike is there right now and I am picking it up next week. I am getting my seat custom fitted to me and my bike. I will be looking very closely and taking pictures. Post a pic if you can so I know what to look at when I am there.
Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have two seats from them, and just when I was about to give up on that company, Bob hooked me up with one of the guys at Corbin and we are now in process of fix ups.
I've been using Corbin for many years and I must say that they always had superior product.
My advice to you is to call them and work it out with them.
I still think that their product is great. Pricey, but good.
And yes, I know the feeling. Believe me I know (I spent my money on two seats) and it's understandable when you pay premium $$ that you expect premium product.
Try to work it out with them, and if they fix it up per your liking, I know that you will have a good quality seat for many years to come.
That was one thing which I loved most about Corbin. Takes the longest time to brake in, but when it breaks in, you have the long lasting good seat.
Good luck to you !

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im trying not to completely flip out until I talk to them tomorrow. Just took it for a short ride and the prognosis is not good. Zonker: the main problems are that the pan doesn't seem to fit properly: none of the contact points touch the frame. So when weight is added, the side panels and the cowl creak a little before they do contact the frame. The rubber bumpers are riveted in: if they had been screwed I could just add washers to beef them out a bit. Also, the front latch doesnt hold the nose of the seat firmly in place: there is some give, so it moves up and down against the paint. The stitching isn't straight, and the faux alligator is awful. Lastly, they simply didn't give me what I asked for: to be pushed up and further back: instead I'm lower and further forward. My nuts almost rest on the tank. It feels like a ten speed seat. Put in a good word for me when you're there... I'll PM you my order info if you like...

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
PM panchester for the e-mail he has. That guy is pretty high up the totem pole. And a good guy to boot.
Bob

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Wow...that sucks about the Corbin seat, especially since they've had the M109 products out for a while. One would think they would have it right by now! They totally f:edit:ed up everything they made for the M90.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Baldy Latino is working on a seat for me right now! Have yet to hear anyone complain about his quality! Looking forward to my new seat here real soon! He takes the time to listen and find out exactly what you want!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, I've spent a lot of time looking at it, and have determined the problems. First, the pan is just plain messed up. The contact bumpers don't stick out far enough to contact the hard frame points. Second, the plastic tongue that holds the nose in place on the gas tank is spaced improperly, leaving it loose with about an inch of travel up and down (so it hits the paint). The fact that the bumpers aren't supporting the seat also contribute to this. Finally, my assumption is that the leather is all stitched together, then pulled over the seat: It wasn't pulled on centered, so all the stitch lines are about 2cm lower on the right than the left. This has also contributed to the rivets being out of position to compensate, as well as the stitching being crooked, as they probably had to really pull on it to get it in place.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts