M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I have fallen into another pile of strawberry shortcake, yum, yum.

Three weeks ago I trade-in my V-Strom and ATV and bought the wife a Blue M50 (Baby Taz) as it has been named today.

Two weeks ago one of you fine gentleman posted that Corbin has completed the seat for the 109r, so I went to the web site to check it out.  I am still in need of a passenger back rest solution for the wife, she is afraid I am going to leave her on the side of the road one of these days when I throttle the beast up. Another reason she has a new M50.

Anyway I would like to thank you for the post, because Corbin just happened to need a M50 for Pictures. Whooo HOOO, free swag.  So I am sitting in the Best Western Hotel in Holister CA typing you this message.

We spent the day at Corbin while they did there photo shoot of Baby TAZ, and they put the Heated Rumble Seat on its back before we left.  Wife is very happy.

I also, of course brought the Beast so the wife and I could do a little riding.  But ended up meeting Mr. Corbin and he said that they needed some pictures of the Fastest Color 109r Burple, seeing as the Silver one just does not photo well, Mr. Corbin comment not mine.  So today was a good day, two complete seats on two bikes.

Anyway, I will tell you that the people at Corbin are the best.  This company could be making these seats in Guatamala or China for that matter, but they are made in Northern California and they are the best seats made.  I am not saying that because I have received one for free but because I have watched the process happen.  This company (Mr. Corbin and his Associates as he calls them) are commited to provide the best quality saddle for a or any motorcycle possible. 

I watched over twenty bikes and there riders get custom fitted for there seats on the spot for the same money you would spend online.

If you have the money and the time bring your bike to Holister and get a saddle made that fits you with options you will not find from your or my local guy.  I have pictures of there plant I will post along with pictures of the bikes.

People who have had a custom fitted Corbin will do anything to do it again.  Even fly from Italy and rent the same model of your own bike and have it fitted and shipped.  I met him today, don't speak Italian but he was excited to have his rented Ducati outfitted with his custom seat, to fly home and mount it on his own bike.  Alberta BMW, Texas Harley both rode there new bikes to Holister to have if fitted and ride out of the lot with the seat.

Anyway, I know it is a lot of dough and you could say it is easy for me to say since I did not shell out the 1300 but I did shell out 595.00 for a so so custom seat, that is not heated nor has a back rest.   We had a good day, good ride and some great clam chowder at cannery row in monterey.

Corbn is a first class outfit with first class service, and product.

RAW_TAZ

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Hey Taz, Great deal on the seat. Since I am to far to go to Cali. How would you rate the seat on comfort? also what is the difference in riding position from the factory seat? I am hoping to sit a little lower and a little further back, will I accomplish that with the Corbin seat....Thanks Ray

·
Registered
898 Posts
good for you  :doorag:  but while you are living it up everyone else is getting it broke off in them  :eek: .... no way i would buy anything from them for my 109 at the prices they are charging... no wonder they can sponser tv shows and such...  not on my dollar  :bigthumbsup:

khrome

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lostrider said:
Hey Taz, Great deal on the seat. Since I am to far to go to Cali. How would you rate the seat on comfort? also what is the difference in riding position from the factory seat? I am hoping to sit a little lower and a little further back, will I accomplish that with the Corbin seat....Thanks Ray
The cool thing with these guys is you can get what every you want. They configure the off the shelf seat lower and a little farther back. The seats feel like couches.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
khrome13 said:
good for you :doorag: but while you are living it up everyone else is getting it broke off in them :eek: .... no way i would buy anything from them for my 109 at the prices they are charging... no wonder they can sponser tv shows and such... not on my dollar :bigthumbsup:

khrome
I totally understand your point, but it is one of those things that is not for everyone, like Cadillacs, BMWs, Dewalt tools and the like. I mean you can buy a Black and Decker drill for 19.99 and a Dewalt is 200.00 go figure.

Mike Corbin is a very generous man, he really takes care of his people and strives to make the best product he can. To each his own.

The swag has just made me a customer for life, and as the wife puts it is all a matter of what you really want.

TAZ

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
I'm glad you had a good experience but for the cost of 9 seats you can buy another m109. Just doesn't seem like a good value to me, unless you have more money than you know what to do with it. If that's the case, please send it to me. :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
khrome13 said:
good for you :doorag: but while you are living it up everyone else is getting it broke off in them :eek: .... no way i would buy anything from them for my 109 at the prices they are charging... no wonder they can sponser tv shows and such... not on my dollar :bigthumbsup:

khrome
I have to second Khrome. I'm sure the product is a good product. I'm bless that I can afford about any accessory there is for my bike I would want but for the hard working middle class American that have purchased the M109r I find it disrespectful that something with such a low production cost will cost that much money. Even the single 500.00 dollar seat is too high. At least one thing is for sure, Corbin manage to make some 109ers customers happy. Giving away the product for free.... :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
I"d take that bet. You know how expensive it is to make a quality product w/ skilled AMERICAN artisans in this country? Your paying people a living wage intstead of slave labor, and using QUALITY goods. Yeah its pricy, but i bet the markup isn't over 35-40 % in the end. Suzuki is whackin ya for 300 b/c they have awesome FOREIGN labor that they pay damn near nothing.

Cost of business in the US is high.

Especially for talented labor, look at gm or ford vs hyundai.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
BlkM109r said:
I'm glad you had a good experience but for the cost of 9 seats you can buy another m109. Just doesn't seem like a good value to me, unless you have more money than you know what to do with it. If that's the case, please send it to me. :D
Yeah, I'd rather buy a white 07!! To sit next to the Burple Beast!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Latinbid said:
I have to second Khrome. I'm sure the product is a good product. I'm bless that I can afford about any accessory there is for my bike I would want but for the hard working middle class American that have purchased the M109r I find it disrespectful that something with such a low production cost will cost that much money. Even the single 500.00 dollar seat is too high. At least one thing is for sure, Corbin manage to make some 109ers customers happy. Giving away the product for free....  :D
thanks for the back up guys i was thinking maybe i was the only one that felt this way ... as far as the statement about quality / price BS .... if you feel that way about american made then go buy a harley or whatever ... i don't play that game when it comes to this stuff... the reason they cost $1100 is because someone wants to make a fat profit... believe me i see it everyday i am an eng inspector and handle multi million dollar contracts on a daily basis.. i have local contracters that bid on my projects and make a good living while doing a better job than the big companies... then i have the big city contracters who come in and bid out the azz on the same projects hoping the little guy is full up with work and they can drag a job in....

spend your money how you like... i know they make a good product or so i have been told i don't buy their stuff... and i also know that they make mega bucks and i won't be giving them my money... the reason them or anyone else can charge idiotic prices is cause someone like you will pay them.... if no one bought their crap they would lower prices... it's not about reducing quality ... its about reducing profit margin... they can make 100 seats and make $100 each or 10 and make $1000 each... their profit on the 10 is much higher than on a 1000... while the quality can be exactly the same...

i see it with small buissness people also....they start out making X amount of dollars for product X or service X .... then they start drawing in more and more customers.... well they can only make so many of product X or provide so much service (only so many hours in a day) ... So then they raise their prices to what the market will bare because they have more customers than they can serve ... and if they continue pretty soon that seat they use to make for $100 is now $500 and they are living phat.... because they feel that same seat they use to sell for $100 suddenly became 5x better.... not last time i checked...

khrome

·
Registered
326 Posts
First, I'm glad you had a good day and what sounds like a great experience.

Second, It all adds up to a complete big F'n zero in my book when the rest of us are sitting here looking at $1300 for a new seat and backrest.

They may be great guys and produce a very high quality product but give me a break. There is nothing in that price other then profit. I don't want a custom fitted seat. I want a backrest for my wife that mounts into the rear seat. I live in PA, I won't be ridding my bike in to have them tweak it for my a**.

Again, I'm glad you had a great day but please forgive me if I don't change my opinion of the crap that Corbin is pushing on the 109 Owners.

·
Registered
76 Posts
khrome13 said:
thanks for the back up guys i was thinking maybe i was the only one that felt this way ... as far as the statement about quality / price BS .... if you feel that way about American made then go buy a Harley or whatever ... i don't play that game when it comes to this stuff... the reason they cost $1100 is because someone wants to make a fat profit... believe me i see it everyday i am an eng inspector and handle multi million dollar contracts on a daily basis.. i have local contracters that bid on my projects and make a good living while doing a better job than the big companies... then i have the big city contracters who come in and bid out the azz on the same projects hoping the little guy is full up with work and they can drag a job in....

spend your money how you like... i know they make a good product or so i have been told i don't buy their stuff... and i also know that they make mega bucks and i won't be giving them my money... the reason them or anyone else can charge idiotic prices is cause someone like you will pay them.... if no one bought their crap they would lower prices... it's not about reducing quality ... its about reducing profit margin... they can make 100 seats and make $100 each or 10 and make $1000 each... their profit on the 10 is much higher than on a 1000... while the quality can be exactly the same...

i see it with small buissness people also....they start out making X amount of dollars for product X or service X .... then they start drawing in more and more customers.... well they can only make so many of product X or provide so much service (only so many hours in a day) ... So then they raise their prices to what the market will bare because they have more customers than they can serve ... and if they continue pretty soon that seat they use to make for $100 is now $500 and they are living phat.... because they feel that same seat they use to sell for $100 suddenly became 5x better.... not last time i checked...

khrome I have a different take on this, because I don't think everything is so black and white, there are shades of gray in everything, I'm referring to the the big fat generals (in any field) that keep more money by hiring illegal help and uninsured small companies and the funny thing when those companies try to go legit and get all their insurances and overhead has to be accounted...NO!!!! you can't raise the prices on us!!!! I'll just go to the next victim. Talk about fat profit.. from my prospective I see things really different. I see it here in New Orleans all those fat cat general not caring about who they are hiring rapist, killers, gang members (in the name of cheapness) but I guess as long as you don't live with them ... who cares... right???. By the way I'm Hispanic myself, but that doesn't make me blind as to how others exploit things just so they can get something cheap, I love and will continue (not blindly) to buy American. I love this country.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
There seems to be a lot of varied views on this seat topic. Let's keep our eye on the ball here. There is no reason to start an argument over this issue, this seems to be a running problem on this board there are a lot of people with strong opinions on many topics (myself included) I think we can all agree that the price of Corbins seat is a little over the top. Kudos to the member who scored one for free, it seems some here are bitter over that but I say good for him. The simple answer to this problem is if you don't like the price "DON'T BUY IT" and if money is no object good for you......I do think if we all just sit back a little longer the market will come to us the aftermarket guys will start flooding the market with merchadise for the 109. Why don't we just go back to sharing info on this great ride and making some freinds along the way who share the same interest. we can all benefit from each other on mods and deals we encounter along the way while in search of those mods.

·
Registered
898 Posts
hmm let me clarify... while i won't be buying a seat from them... I say if Taz can squeeze free seats out of them .... more power to him at least someone is getting one at a decent price :bigthumbsup:

khrome

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've always been happy with the seats and other products I've purchased that were made by Corbin. I look at their price, but also look at their value to me which includes a lot of variables. The nice thing is we can all decide what things are important to us and invest our own purchasing dollars where we want based on our decisions.
I'm still evaluating my stock seat and have found a lot of things I like about it, but I may look seriously at Corbin's solo heated saddle once I get a chance to sit it. I have some orthopedic issues I'm dealing with currently which I need to resolve first. I never carry passengers so my rear pegs are one of the first things to go and I don't have to look at much besides my personal comfort , safety and values when looking at seats.
Having said that, I don't criticize those who use other values. Life is too short and riding is too much fun..
Jer

·
Registered
752 Posts
J R said:
I could pretty much afford whatever i wanted myself.but I must agree with the price being ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) I might have a couple of nickels to rub together but I didn't get them being stupid ;)
+1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts