M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the heated Corbin today and I gotta' say, it's not half as cushy as it looks in the pics. It's raining here so I only went around the block, but from that short ride I can't reach the bars as easily as before. Everything I've read here was positive so I forked over the big bucks and it's a little bit of a let down. I'll be looking for some risers if I keep this seat. Just a little warning if anyone is considering this seat. I'm only 5'9 and now it's even more of a stretch than before and the seat is way firmer than I expected it to be.
I guess a lot of the guys on here are are bigger than me, but if you're under 6', I'd say think about it before you pay almost $600 for a seat that will sit you a few inches back further than before. Hopefully it will feel better on a longer ride.

·
Registered
629 Posts
::) Sounds like you ordered the Full Cut, It is supposed to sit you back a few inches. The normal should leave you in the stock position. ::)

G

·
As far as the seat positon mine was not much different from stock, but It is a little firm in the beginning. The more you ride the better it will get.

I had the same feelings on the first ride, but it is getting better every ride.

TAZ

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trogdor said:
I'll give you $300.00 sight unseen... :D
I'll bet you would. Actually, if it doesn't fit my arse in the next couple of weeks I will have it here for sale. Hopefully what Taz said is true about it getting better with time. We'll see.

Animal said:
::) Sounds like you ordered the Full Cut
I'm pretty sure that's only if you order the Suzuki seat, isn't it? I didn't see a choice of cuts on the Corbin site.

G

·
Corbins have about a 1000 mile breakin. I have had 3 of them and it does take about that long until they form to your rear end. They are firmer than most stock seats. Normally, once they break in, most people like the feel. If it sits you back a little, hopefully the risers will be coming shortly.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I've owned several Corbin seats and everyone is right about the break in period, but it usually takes 1000-2000 miles to really break in properly. Yes they are firm, and some of their seats are better than others. I'm only 5'8" or so and haven't found ANY seat that has all day comfort yet, but Corbins are about the best once they break in. Unfortunately there are no other aftermarket seats available for the M109R right now, so what are you gonna do? Mustang will have some seats available sooner or later and they are much softer, some people prefer them over the Corbins. You might also check out Ultimate seats at http://www.ultimateseats.ca/ especially since now you have a stock seat to send them to rework, which is one of their requirements. Anyway, send them an email and see what they say.
Here's one other place that makes great seats that you can contact: http://www.day-long.com/
I'd contact them as well.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i've got a corbin on mine. it actually sits you forward further than stock. the back of the seat comes up and you sit "in" it with foam behind you, unlike the stock. it's making me want to get some more forward controls. no clue why you are having problems reaching the bars.

i love the seat btw. you don't slide around like on the stock. it does take some breaking in, like others have mentioned. even so, out of the box it's more comfortable than stock.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have to agree about the time frame needed to break in a Corbin seat. Believe me, once you do the break in miles, you will love it. The firmer saddle is more comfortable in the long run. I've put many long days (400-600 miles) and you can't beat a good firm seat. Thats one reason you find firm seats in most German cars, and others. I've had Corbin's on many of my bikes over the years, and like them very much. Yes, they are pricey, and the price for the 109 seats seems even more than it should be. If you can swing the price, you will be happy with the seat. One other thing, if you live close enough to Hollister, Ca., you can make an appointment with Corbin for a "ride in", and they will make your seat for you while you wait. You can choose you own material and it takes about 4 to 5 hours. Call them for more info. I did it on my BMW, it turned out great! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
974 Posts
slowpoke387 said:
 Got the heated Corbin today and I gotta' say, it's not half as cushy as it looks in the pics. It's raining here so I only went around the block, but from that short ride I can't reach the bars as easily as before. Everything I've read here was positive so I forked over the big bucks and it's a little bit of a let down. I'll be looking for some risers if I keep this seat. Just a little warning if anyone is considering this seat. I'm only 5'9 and now it's even more of a stretch than before and the seat is way firmer than I expected it to be.
I guess a lot of the guys on here are are bigger than me, but if you're under 6', I'd say think about it before you pay almost $600 for a seat that will sit you a few inches back further than before. Hopefully it will feel better on a longer ride.
Right out of the box i felt my corbin was more comfy than the stock seat. My wife felt the same way. Seat is getting better the more miles were putting on it as well. Im 6' and 250 so i guess that might be a factor? I didnt really notice any difference in my leg adjustment to the controls seems to me to be the same.

Hope it works out for you though!

Mike

·
Registered
231 Posts
The reason the Corbin is more comfy -

I met a custom seat builder... I was going to get my stock one retrofit for the trip I was taking... then Oneida came out with the OEM Suzuki Gel Seats... the day before I was taking mine in.

...the design of the Corbin AND the OEM Gel are exactly what the seat builder proposed...

The problem with the stock seat is the cover is a five way stretch material.  The design doesn't lap into the back... so when you sit on it, it stretches like a balloon.   But your a$$ is compressing the cushion.  The tie in is pulling up but you're pushing down on the padding.  That system works AGAINST your cheeks, leading to numb butt.

With the OEM Gel Seat or the Corbin, each has that rear tuck in the back.  Now you're compressing the cover with the material instead of working one against the other.

I rode 150 miles on the stock seat. - Numb butt.

I rode 400+ miles a day for five days on the Suzuki Gel Seat... NO numb butt.  By the way the non-full cut is a great (no wait... FANTASTIC) seat.   (and it's less than $200 for the two of them together). :bigthumbsup:

:doorag:

·
Registered
108 Posts
slowpoke387 said:
I am glad to hear you say that,not that i want you to have a hard seat,because you bought it to have a cushy ride i am sure,same reason i wanted it for the back seat and backrest. We spoke with a fabricator of seats this summer and he said he was approached by corbin to sell there seats,but after he checked out there seats he could not justify selling them here in Maine area,because of cost,and the fact he said they were to hard for his customers,as he fabricates seats,and recovers and restuffs older ones,i was a little surprised when he told me they were very firm,as we were there for him to soften up my roadstar passenger seat,so this is the reason i am glad you were honest with your assesment,thanks saved me alot of cash!!! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
phaed said:
i've got a corbin on mine. it actually sits you forward further than stock. i love the seat btw. you don't slide around like on the stock. it does take some breaking in, like others have mentioned. even so, out of the box it's more comfortable than stock.
Mine actually pulls me a few inches away from the bars now. Being only 5'9 this is a problem. I will say I went about 80 miles or so today, and while it didn't feel any more comfortable than stock, I didn't get the sore ass I usually would have. I am still let down by the firmness and the changed seating position. Does anyone know if Corbin offers a service to make customers happy, like adding/removing foam to change seating position?

G

·
slowpoke387 said:
Mine actually pulls me a few inches away from the bars now. Being only 5'9 this is a problem. I will say I went about 80 miles or so today, and while it didn't feel any more comfortable than stock, I didn't get the sore ass I usually would have. I am still let down by the firmness and the changed seating position. Does anyone know if Corbin offers a service to make customers happy, like adding/removing foam to change seating position?
They will reshape for free, if it requires the cover to be changed you will be charged for that. Check there web site.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sweet. Going there now to see about reshaping. Maybe paying the big bucks will pay off with decent service. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts