M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: road construction :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Recently my lovely city started repairing roads all over town, you know the ones that didn't really need it? the ones that go straight from my house to my job!

Anyways I've been fishing around for a few tips for handling in loose gravel, and things to watch out for.

So far I've come up with

1. Staying loose, and letting the front wheel sort of find its way through

2. slowing down (obvious)

3. sitting a little further back on the sit to take some weight off the front

4. WHAT ELSE GUYS?!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My city roads crew is really bad about giving heads up on construction sites, usually just a quick "Slow down, construction ahead" Just in time to realize you're being pelted with rocks....I feel sorry for the bottom of my pipes.

I'm considering writing an editorial letter for the local paper, to post a sort of (Motorcycle Saftey Tip.) After all it's summer and construction will continue all over the area.

Any pointers you think I should include would be great! Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
you bout got it all. I would add stay off the brakes or if needed apply gently and to the rear only. Only thing I don't like about forward mounted pegs is you cannot or it is very difficult to stand up on them dirt bike style. that allows you to get some weight over the rear easier.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't be abrupt with the throttle! sorry, forgot that one.......

Also, how about taking turns in a freshly done intersection.... with loose gravel of course.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I hate greavel. use all of the above and be safe!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just hate gravel in slow turns in town where it "collects" in corners and then I have my most dangerouse ride and that is where I park the bike behind the house and that is a little g r a s s slope :bigthumbsup:, did I say mornings with dew in the grass?,,since bikes just loooove wet grass :D :tools:

·
Registered
256 Posts
i'd gouge on it and hang on   :joke:

no really, as a kid of about 12 yrs old and feet that would not touch the ground on both sides, i'd ride my dads honda cb750 all the time on gravel country roads....there is a certain niche to it so to speak, because they handle so differently on those type of roads.....main thing is very little front brakes on turns if any at all...and full throttle when coming out of turns...  ::)

.....no really, i have thrown many a gravel rooster tails.. :D  ..and never laid it down...cause if i did my dad would have killed me !!

but in all seriousness, paved roads with loose rock is much different than what i am talking about..slow down n use common sense, kinda like ridin on wet roads, but worse. 

tc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts