M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Old news. Def not justified. Cop should go to jail. Paralyzed the guy. WTF!! That could have been any of us!! Clearly from the dash can the cop was not in any danger

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thats heavy.. In one sense I can understand being afraid that you are going to be shot by a perp and not go home to your family. But on the other hand he didn't really give him enough time to put his hands up. If he was going to shoot the police officer wouldn't he have turned to the left? I think he acted too quickly and a guilty verdict seems right.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think cops have it in their heads that all bikers carry guns and wont go down without a fight.
very disturbing video! its a shame!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
WTF

I can't think of anything to say - Just shocking!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
appears he had intensions of pulling them over because the other cop car got there rather quickly to the other biker.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
We don't have all the facts but, from watching the video, the biker did nothing that could be considered threatening.

That other car was there very fast.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I hate for anything to happen to any riders out there. But as a Law Enforcement officer myself i would just say this we have two seconds to make a decision and everyone at home has for ever to question our actions. All i can say is you never know until you have been in that situation what you will do. I speak from experience believe me. :cop:

·
Registered
940 Posts
I hate for anything to happen to any riders out there. But as a Law Enforcement officer myself i would just say this we have two seconds to make a decision and everyone at home has for ever to question our actions. All i can say is you never know until you have been in that situation what you will do. I speak from experience believe me. :cop:
I understand the two seconds you speak of but that officer had no good reason to fire (I did not see a threat on his life). I hope he pays the full price for his actions. I fully support law enforcement and am thankful for what they do but that man had no business having a badge.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I understand the two seconds you speak of but that officer had no good reason to fire (I did not see a threat on his life). I hope he pays the full price for his actions. I fully support law enforcement and am thankful for what they do but that man had no business having a badge.
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I have never been stopped on my bike, so what would be the proper/safest protocol while waiting for the officer to approach you? From that video, I didn't see any life threatening movements by the rider to provoke the shooting and certainly not in the back!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Search and you can find a much longer copy of that video.

The cop follows the bikes for over 3.5 minutes and they are riding legally.

At the 3:48 mark, the cop goes L&S

By the 4:00 mark, just 12 seconds later, the bike is stopped.

Is 12 seconds between L&S and a stopped bike running?

Let's break that down a little further:

3:39 first bike leaves the stop line

It took the cop, who had been following the bikes for over 3 minutes presumably watching for a reason to pull them over, 9 seconds to find and hit his switch for L&S

From leaving the stop line to stopped for the cop, there is 21 seconds.

Now, the best 0-60-0 time I could find on a bike was about 9 seconds and it was a sport bike, so let's say the Harley could do 0-60-0 in what, 13 seconds at best?

That leaves us with 8 seconds for reaction time, which is shorter than the cops reaction time in hitting the L&S.

So, did they even hit 60mph?

The time on this alone makes a very good argument that they were not even running.

They accelerated quickly from the stop, may not even have topped over the speed limit. Under hard acceleration with loud pipes, how long would be reasonable to hear the siren?

Now, the questioning in the court room was intending to suggest that it was his hand movement that made the cop think 'gun'.

However, the rider did what you are told to do and keep your hands down.

Personally, when stopped on a bike, I keep my hands on the grips until the cop talks to me. I do not even reach for my helmet and I will explain why when he gets there.

But watch the video. Even trying, can you see the rider's movement as even implying reaching for a gun? I see a guy looking back at the cop and keeping his bike balanced.

This makes me sick.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have never been stopped on my bike, so what would be the proper/safest protocol while waiting for the officer to approach you?

In my opinion - both hands w/fingers interlaced on top of head/helmet.

No way could you be a threat in that position.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
My view

The cop obviously made a bad decision for which he'll pay for the rest of his life, as will the biker who was shot. This is the world we live in now. Too bad for all concerned, but it does illustrate how dangerous life has become for all of us. It's like the old wild West all over again. Guns and shootings commonplace. It's no wonder the cops are nervous stopping people at night. Who wouldn't be?
I drove a tow truck for 5 years, and most of my calls were police or CHP related. I saw lots of tense situations. Frankly I'm amazed this doesn't happen more often. Just too many guns, drugs and booze making people act crazy.
Cops are not supermen, just people doing a job most people wouldn't do. Things are bound to go wrong in any job eventually. Murphy's law.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Cop with a badge and a gun is going to show the punk kid on the load bike who is boss. No one is going to ride like that on his watch. That is all it is. I see it all the time. The bad cops or cops with a big ego make the good cops look bad. One rotten apple makes all the apples rotten as they say.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That was less than 8 miles from my house...... total BS the way that went down...... the officer claims he told the rider to raise his hands, ( bike running, sirens still on) the rider couldn't hear and was shot as turned to look at the officer. The officers didn't even lift the bike off of him after he fell instantly paralyzed, even though hew was asking them to get it off of him. :dontknow: A friend of the rider that was on his way to meet up with them came to the scene and got the bike off of him....
There has been a couple charity rides for him and his family, and I am sure there will be more.....

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have never been stopped on my bike, so what would be the proper/safest protocol while waiting for the officer to approach you? From that video, I didn't see any life threatening movements by the rider to provoke the shooting and certainly not in the back!
I've been pulled over many times, when I lived in Phx. I ALWAYS turned off my bike, put the kickstand down, stayed on my bike, took off my helmet, and kept my hands to my sides (palms to the back). I did my best to convey the message "I'm not going anywhere" before the officer gets out of the car. I've always been respectful to police and never been ticketed on a bike. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
What's new? Just another A-hole trigger happy pig! Fcuk the police!!!
And I speak from experience believe me too, 90% of you are complete power tripping jerk offs. If you are in the 10%, more power to you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts