M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked my coolant level today and its right on the Low level. Should I drain all of it or is it safe to just add some more in. I'm not sure what type is in there right now since I just got the bike a couple months ago. I read the manual and it seems like a pain in the ass to drain the coolant and bleed the air out.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
you should be able to just add some to it. there is a how-to somewhere on here about adding coolant the easy way. to make a long story short, find the overflow tube underrneath the bike and use a squeeze bottle to force coolant up through the overflow. this eliminates a ton of work.

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you bike is cold, it should be at the low level line. When you bike warms up, it will expand. If you put more in to the full line while cold, it will come out of your overflow while you are riding your bike

·
Registered
461 Posts
If what you say is correct, check for any leaks. If there are no leaks then find out what type of coolant you have in the system and add like to the overflow recovery bottle (the same bottle you are seeing the level).

·
Radio Active Member
27,682 Posts
You can just top it off. I also think the manual states to change the coolant every two years. At least that is what I have done.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,940 Posts
I keep mine between the two levels when warm, but when it's cold it's close to the low limit. That's a reservoir to collect fluid when it gets hot, the radiator will still be full as long as there's liquid in the reservoir.

If you add coolant, make sure what you add has on the bottle that it's compatible with aluminum.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im out in the garage right now and i'm wondering if Prestone 50/50 prediluted antifreeze/coolant is fine. I read the back but it doesn't say anything about aluminum.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,940 Posts
Im out in the garage right now and i'm wondering if Prestone 50/50 prediluted antifreeze/coolant is fine. I read the back but it doesn't say anything about aluminum.
Look at the front of the bottle, it usually has it in large letters somewhere. It may say something like safe for all engines too.

Prestone prediluted is what I last used in mine, and I know it had something on the jug.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts