M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am trying to figure out how to put a coolant temperature gauge on my bike, it seems to run pretty hot and I would like to know what temperature it's running at for peace of mind.
My idea is just to buy a digital coolant temperature gauge, and install it below the gas cap as some guys do with the Gi-Pro.

Now to get the temp sender in the engine I would disconnect all the hoses and drill/tap the tee connector that connects all the hoses together. From what I understand water wont flow through this and start reading until the thermostat opens, is this correct? If anyone else has other opinions please chime in, if the tee is not large enough or I can't tap, my backup is to get a cast coupler, drill and tap it, then cut a hose and clamp the ends.
Anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I"ve been wanting to do the same thing.......Ill be watching this thread for sure!:pop:

·
Registered
461 Posts
To get a true reading of the temp, you need to install the sending unit before the thermostat to get the temp before the thermostat opens and near the head which is the hottest spot.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thank you. I'll use the coupler and put it right before the thermostat.

Now I just need to find a gauge that is small/thin enough to put below the oil cap.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Don't forget if your using an electronic gage you need to have a ground for the sensor to work.

G

·
If you use a calabrateble digital gadge you can use the existing temp sensor. Just tap into the sensor wires and calibrate it to use the voltage range specified in the service manual for normal operation. The onboard computer monitors this sensor and turns on the idiot light only when it exceeds a specified value. But the sensor can give a voltage range that will work a gadge. You just tap the output from the sensor without interupting the signal to the ECM run it to you gadge input and then to ground. A calibrateble gadge will have an adjustable pot to atenuate the input for acuracy. You can use a laser temp gadge to provide the baseline to adjust to. Or you can use the temperature VS resistance table in the service manual pg 5-49. to match the gadge reading to the sensor resistance reading on a DVM.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
dont need one, the red light comes on when you have heating problems.

And if you got a guage you will always be looking at it , and wondering.

·
Registered
766 Posts

I tend to agree amd no body needs the distraction.....one always wonders although it may be a good idea to have one, it is one less thing to worry about

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i live in Dallas/Ft Worth, TX, their is a ton of traffic and gets really hot (100+) during the summer, so this is just for peice of mind, I would like to know I need to get out of the stop and go traffic before the idiot light comes on :)

Anyone have a recommendation on guages?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Just think if you rode a Harley! The red light would be on all the time and you would have to shut down the bike at each intersection or traffic jams. Ha Ha Ha :joke:

·
Registered
547 Posts

That's how I feel about the speedometer too but it's on the bike. :D

G

·
i live in Dallas/Ft Worth, TX, their is a ton of traffic and gets really hot (100+) during the summer, so this is just for peice of mind, I would like to know I need to get out of the stop and go traffic before the idiot light comes on :)

Anyone have a recommendation on guages?
That's not likely to happen. The bike is designed to handle that in stock form. That's what the fan is for. The light is supposed to come on well before it get's hot ehough to hurt the engine so that you can get it cooled down before there is damage. Your time and money would be better spent on making sure you maintain those systems so that they will continue to work properly.

But hey I like nice gadgets, gadges and doodads too.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand it's highly unlikey, but I want a temp gauge, and thats good enough for me. I know it may not be 'needed' but the bigger front/rear tires, chrome & custom paint job, weren't 'needed' either. :doorag:

I'll take pictures of the installation and post picture as I do the install.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I understand it's highly unlikey, but I want a temp gauge, and thats good enough for me. I know it may not be 'needed' but the bigger front/rear tires, chrome & custom paint job, weren't 'needed' either. :doorag:

DLP has one for the oil check the manual if it give a temp the bik operates at that gauge should be close.

·
Registered
547 Posts

I fully agree. I thought we were supposed to be able to mod our own bikes without having to ok it with everyone else? :dontknow:

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Bit like the oil temp dip stick, always wanted one so i got one, now im forever looking at it. so if you hear i layed it down left side you know what happened.

something like this would be ok

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
scotty I decide to use the GlowShift red digital temp gauge, they claim its only 1" thick which would work perfect.

·
Registered
547 Posts
slap up a how to when you get one might be tempted to get one myself.:bigthumbsup:
Why would you do that? You don't need one. hehehehh:D Yes please do pics and install instructions. Scotty, just giving you crap. :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts