M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
What's everyone doing with the bolt that pokes at the coolant line when installing the crash bars on the left side lf bike.?
On mine the pervious owner put a smaller shoulder self locking nut on it so it doesn't rub the coolant line not sure if it came with that nut? Looks diff than the other sides nut

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
The Suzuki OEM engine guards have a short stem on the top of the left side that is cut at an angle and use a wedge nut also cut at and angle which "wedges" that portion in place and does not protrude a lot outside of the hole in the frame.

Most of the cheaper knock off engine guards use long bolts on both sides.
If you have one of these knock off sets you may need to trim the bolt and wrap the coolant hose with some thick chaffing material.

2 photos below of the Suzuki OEM engine guards and one photo of a Ebay knock off.

BCS
LGB/FJB

Attachments

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,651 Posts
I have the OEM guards, but they were bought back when I first got the bike. Back then I think almost all of them had bolts that were too long. I checked mine and after determining how much they stuck out, I ran a nut down it and cut the bolt off as needed.

For those of you that don't do a lot of mechanical work, the reason for the nut is so the bolt is cut straight and the threads will still work. You use the nut as a guide for the hacksaw, and after you make the cut and remove the nut, it makes the threads smooth again. Better than cutting it off then finding out you can't get a nut on it or it won't thread into a tapped hole. After you cut the bolt you can use a file to slightly round the end of the bolt so the sharp threads are gone. I usually use two nuts so they lock together and don't try to rotate as the hacksaw is running against it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hillman makes a "T Nut" that we use. You can hit it on the grinder to flatten it down and slide it in from the inside. We measure the longer bolt and cut it down first. Put the nut on, cut it down and take the nut off so you are basically chasing the threads. Then insert the T Nut from the inside. Just need to find the right size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.