M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a friend were sitting in a parking  lot  I was revving my bike up and noticed a small amount of coolant leaking on the left side of the rear cylinder down very low wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had the same issue.  It wasn't leaking enough to cause a puddle, just to give me a burning coolant smell.   Service checked into coolant leak @ 600 mile check and found a loose hose clamp on a line running between cylinder heads.  Should be able to get to it with the tank off - if you're comfortable, if not - it's a quick fix @ the shop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I posted the same problem about a month and a half ago. Seems suzuki put hose clamps on the hose from the head pipe to the water pump that are too large, ie the clamp gets to the end of the thread so to speak and feels like it is tight , but it is not. This hose (about 3" long) is located just behind the large chrome left engine side cover. I ordered two new ones from the local auto parts store. 5/16 band and 9/16-1 1/4 length. I was able to remove the old clamps without removing the hose by unscrewing it all of the way and installing the new ones. Solved the problem

warren

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,
The coolant leak is comming from a loose hose clamp on a hose running between the cylinders. if you take the right hand side air filter off you can get to the hose clamp and tighten it up. Easy Fix!
The leak seems to only occur when the engine is working at high revs.

Chooky

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
This is a Suzuki thing. I have a Suzuki Marauder and a Volusia. Both had the same problem with the hose that runs between the heads.
They must have a lot of those crappy clamps, and want to use them up before investing in the right ones....
:D

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well.. after a few "spirited" light-to-light runs last night, I also experienced the coolant leak. I'm posting a couple of pictures for my fellow novice wrench turners. I'm not much of a mechanic but this is a pretty simple one to tackle. You have to remove the right-side airbox (if you have trouble or are unsure how to do this, I would suggest letting a tech handle it). The clamp in question is in the Burple :D box. Undo the electrical connector (arrows) to gain access to it. I used a 15/64 open-end wrench to loosen it a little (I know, I know... I own a "metric" bike and don't have a tiny "metric" wrench...yet) :redfaced:

Make sure the hose is on the nipple all the way, then tighten the clamp back up. Rotate it so you can use a screwdriver in the future. Don't forget to plug the connector back in. Check the coolant level and enjoy another day of riding - after cleaning all the green gunk off your ride :bigthumbsup:

I know for most of you this seems very rudimentary but there are a few of us here who haven't had the pleasure of tearing things down and putting them back together :dontknow:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I find bikes a pain to work on at my age.
Dealer is sending someone to transport the bike to the dealer at their cost so I said yeah.
I spent years modding my race cars so I'm a bit burnt out now (read lazy :D)

·
Registered
253 Posts
ok by looking at those great pics I tried doing mine on Sunday and yes the hose was loose and that is where the coolant was coming from I tightened the one closest to you but that hose clamp at the back is murder to get to I am thinking it is a tank and airbox removal possibly to tighten it would I be correct in this assumption if so I think I will give it a go 1 more time or just wait till it gets real bad and send it of to the dealer I think Suzuki needs to send out a special tool fpor all 109 owner to do that damn hose clamp up :evil:

G

·
i am seeing small green coolant dots on my neck tubes and top of radiator???? any clue to where this is coming from driving my self crazy over this. no front covers on bike

·
Registered
16 Posts
How many miles are on bikes that are experiencing the coolant leak. Mine just started and I have ~2200 miles. Thanks for the pictures, I generally do all my own work once a warranty expires, but this looks too simple to bother taking to the dealer.

·
Registered
600 Posts
ryan77 said:
How many miles are on bikes that are experiencing the coolant leak. Mine just started and I have ~2200 miles. Thanks for the pictures, I generally do all my own work once a warranty expires, but this looks too simple to bother taking to the dealer.
Mine had 1,700 miles on it when I noticed it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks for the "blow by blow " how-to , never hurts to have good instructions with clear pix, no matter how mechanically inclined you are. I am going to check mine this weekend.

The should go into the how to section , we have one dont we?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
hey, i have a leak - enough to stain the side cover, left side but its trail from the base gasket area of the front cylinder- possibly
the same cause ???

godzuki

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Trouble_Is said:
Well.. after a few "spirited" light-to-light runs last night, I also experienced the coolant leak. I'm posting a couple of pictures for my fellow novice wrench turners. I'm not much of a mechanic but this is a pretty simple one to tackle. You have to remove the right-side airbox (if you have trouble or are unsure how to do this, I would suggest letting a tech handle it). The clamp in question is in the Burple :D box. Undo the electrical connector (arrows) to gain access to it. I used a 15/64 open-end wrench to loosen it a little (I know, I know... I own a "metric" bike and don't have a tiny "metric" wrench...yet)  :redfaced: Â

Make sure the hose is on the nipple all the way, then tighten the clamp back up. Rotate it so you can use a screwdriver in the future. Don't forget to plug the connector back in. Check the coolant level and enjoy another day of riding - after cleaning all the green gunk off your ride :bigthumbsup:

I know for most of you this seems very rudimentary but there are a few of us here who haven't had the pleasure of tearing things down and putting them back together  :dontknow:
Do you mean the side of the motor opposite the exhaust side (NO PIPES SIDE). I would call that the left side???? :doorag:

·
Registered
600 Posts
The RIGHT side, as you're sitting on the bike (the throttle or exhaust side) :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Chuck said:
My coolant leek was on the left side (Side without exhaust pipes) but was the same deal. Hose looked the same & in same place. :doorag:
I see what you mean, now :bigthumbsup: Mine was leaking down both sides of the bike :eek:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts