M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a coolant leak. I've had one in the past. Work has been done...radiator cap replaced (cracked), hose clamps tightened, system pressure tested. Problem went dormant for quite some time. It's back, it only occurs during high rpm acceleration. If I take it easy on the motor it does not seem to be an issue, but everyone knows that is not going to happen with this machine. It just appears that it is spitting up small amounts when I get on the engine hard, traces show up front right behind and below the radiator fan. Dealer found nothing amiss when I recently had it in for them to investigate but they only let the bike run at idle for an extended period. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Mine was doing the exact same thing a year ago. I tightened the hoses with a few turns of the screwdriver and that took care of it. I think there were four hoses. You may need to slide your tank back a little and move the radiator cover forward to see them. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Overflow hose? Maybe thermostat not opening all the way, causing excessive pressure under hard throttle? :dontknow:

Of course that's only if you have tightened all the other hoses...

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I agree, first thing is to get in there and see if you can locate the leak. You usually can see it around the edge of the hose where the clamp is. The left side up top, there is a "T" that is known for coming loose. Remember, after the dealer fixed it last time, you still need to go back in and check everything after a little while as it may require a little more tightening.

·
Registered
169 Posts
could you remove the shroud around the rad ,run the bike and check the bike for leaks every few miles. It would it also be possible to run the bike with the rear tire elevated off the ground althought the engine would not be under any load. Pressure testing the system should have found the leak and I'm going to assume that the coolant system is also not overfilled.I would also assume that if the thermostat was not opening all the way that this would cause and overheating problem.Not sure but I going to assume that the waterpump is internal on the 109

·
Registered
423 Posts
Mine leaks to. Nothing drastic but I see some dripping on the left engine cover and some up in the fairing. Haven't found were its coming from but it does seem to get worse when I run it hard.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
check the hose under the radiator.
:agree:spend a rainy saturday and take her apart. Take the tank back or off along with the shrouds and just check all of the hose clamps. you can't get them too tight. plus, you will learn alot about your bike along the way.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
I would look at the T and radiator hoses as suggested. And if there is still nothing found, you might want to think of adding a coolant die pack in there. That way you can trace it to the source with no guess work.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've had persistent coolant odours too, so I know its been leaking somewhere.

The dealer either says they've 'tightened them', or 'can't find anything'.

I replaced two of the easiest-to-reach clamps, and found that the stock ones are really cheap & crappy (thin gauge).

The clamps that the dealer tightened had the tracks deformed and stripped, which prevented them from being tightened any further.

I also recall a thread where someone said that the factory clamps are too big.

It's clear that whenever you have the opportunity, you should swap out the stock clamps for ones that are a little smaller diameter, and heavier duty.

I suspect that coolant is sneaking past the clamps while under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I had a leak and did the simple tighten down. thought I had the problem solved but it sprung up elsewhere. i was due a change anyway so I pulled all the hoses off, cleaned the inside and around the fitting and put back on and tightened down. It is perfect now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts