M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been checking my coolant level daily as a routine since I got the bike in 07. I monitor the fluid level as the temperature changes an I watch the trends so I`m "one" with the behavior my bikes system. I some times check several times a day. I have needed to add fluid once in the last 19,000 miles.
Last night I smell a hot engine and the window has NO FLUID!
I wonder if I was running with a bubble and it just burped??
I will tear into this today but I`m looking for similar experiences to help diagnose.

Thoughts?:pop:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
"check it daily".....Geez I have never checked my coolant and very rarely my oil....I ain't that paranoid :yikes: :hot::hot: :joke: :D

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
It would be odd that in 19,000 miles it would just now burp. But if you check it that closely (really really closely), then you would have noticed a leak that big. You might want to check your fan and see if it's working, as the engine may have overheated and blew the coolant out. Then as it cools it sucks the reservoir dry.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would be odd that in 19,000 miles it would just now burp. But if you check it that closely (really really closely), then you would have noticed a leak that big. You might want to check your fan and see if it's working, as the engine may have overheated and blew the coolant out. Then as it cools it sucks the reservoir dry.
Thank you. Good point! Just a little leak evidence and I have been watching for a couple months. No significant leak. Refilled and watching...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
UNBELIEVEABLE !!!:eek:

Mine has too man...

I took the thing apart today to tighten hoses and re-fill, That's one of the things I was going to chat to you about when I rang you yesterday.

How is the Siberian Hampster going?

·
Registered
192 Posts
This same thing happened to me last year. I went for a ride and got stuck on the Interstate and my overheat light came on. After letting it cool off, I rode back home and realized that I had no coolant left. I filled it the next day and went for a ride and when I got back, again no coolant. I tore everything apart and found that my fan had cut through it own power wire and was not coming on. Fixed that and added more coolant and haven't had to add anymore in a year.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This same thing happened to me last year. I went for a ride and got stuck on the Interstate and my overheat light came on. After letting it cool off, I rode back home and realized that I had no coolant left. I filled it the next day and went for a ride and when I got back, again no coolant. I tore everything apart and found that my fan had cut through it own power wire and was not coming on. Fixed that and added more coolant and haven't had to add anymore in a year.
HHHMMM...I will check this. Im noticing a lot of things wearing through wires,cables,and hoses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts