M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an amateur wrench with the will to go where I have not dared go before, mechanically speaking.  Any info or advice/instruction on how to take a west coast 109 and convert it to a desmogged and more[, fire-breathing beast?    :doorag:  Of course, I only want this information for my own edification and enlightenment because I would never, ever even consider performing any sort of  illegal modifications! ;)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Xniner said:
I'm an amateur wrench with the will to go where I have not dared go before, mechanically speaking. Any info or advice/instruction on how to take a west coast 109 and convert it to a desmogged and more[, fire-breathing beast?  :doorag: Of course, I only want this information for my own edification and enlightenment because I would never, ever even consider performing any sort of illegal modifications! ;)
there is not really any hp to gain going 49 state. all you have that is different is the evap crap from the tank for the fumes to cycle through the charcoal canister. you lose about 4 tenths of a gallon fuel capacity and may have slightly more weight with the can but should have the same HP.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
steve j said:
there is not really any hp to gain going 49 state. all you have that is different is the evap crap from the tank for the fumes to cycle through the charcoal canister. you lose about 4 tenths of a gallon fuel capacity and may have slightly more weight with the can but should have the same HP.
Thanks for your response, Steve. So, if I understand you correctly, the conversion would add approx.
.4 gallons of add'l fuel capacity, slightly reduce overall weight if the evap cannister were removed from the tank and these would be the only practical benefits? Hardly seems worth the trouble if that's the case, although extra range is always nice. Roughly how much labor time is involved? :dontknow:

G

·
Replace the tank for $650 or so and remove the charcoal canister whereever it is on the bike. Or cut your Cali tank and remove whatever's in there and re weld it back together and then remove the charcoal canister. Which mod do you think you'll go for? Post pics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts