M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a consolidated STOCK EXHAUST MODs thread for current and future exhaust mod ideas. I know there are a few that has already completed modifying their exhausts.

Here are the current options:

:eek: Modified with V-Rod exhaust muffler (available on eBay from $25).

:eek: Modified with DNX Universal muffler from Advance Auto Parts for $80.

:eek: Modified with straight pipe exhaust tip (available just about anywhere).
Wildracing version...

JR version...

This is some of the other exhaust mufflers that I am looking at:

SuperTrapp S/C Elite..

Available from Summit Racing in different lengths and inlet/outlet sizes for around $130 and up.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lamonster said:
My next one, maybe. :D
I see that you have the same idea as me. The SuperTrapp comes in various different lengths and is completely tuneable.

I'm looking at retaining the SET valve and expansion chamber in my setup. I also want to make it so that I can try various slip-on's without having to cut and re-weld everything.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Wow, I hadn't seen that first exhaust yet, but I really like that!! Previously liked the straight tip exhaust, but I've got a new favorite!! How does it sound?? Anyone??

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
By far #1 is the prettiest, But the JR can looks the meanest!

Delmustator said:
I see that you have the same idea as me. The SuperTrapp comes in various different lengths and is completely tuneable.

I'm looking at retaining the SET valve and expansion chamber in my setup. I also want to make it so that I can try various slip-on's without having to cut and re-weld everything.
How would that be done? Would you just keep/add a small length of pipe behind the collector/SET?? The add and remove at will? That might be really cool.
Is the JR can considered a slip on?

Sledzep

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joshua_109 said:
Wow, I hadn't seen that first exhaust yet, but I really like that!! Previously liked the straight tip exhaust, but I've got a new favorite!! How does it sound?? Anyone??
There is a link in one of the threads that has the bike running. It sounded pretty good.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chevyguy_72 said:
I like that v-rod one is there a write up on that?
Do a search on 2 into 1 and you will find the thread that discusses it and the sound videos.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sledzep01 said:
By far #1 is the prettiest, But the JR can looks the meanest!

How would that be done? Would you just keep/add a small length of pipe behind the collector/SET?? The add and remove at will? That might be really cool.
Is the JR can considered a slip on?

Sledzep
Basically the expansion chamber has (2) tubes exiting into the long stock mufflers. Modifying this into a single slip-on nipple may be workable. Otherwise the expansion chamber may have to go. Then it's just a resize from the SET valve to a muffler nipple. The problem is that most of the mufflers being used for the exhaust MODS do not have a standard inlet size. They range from 2.25 to 3.0 inches. I think the SET valve exit is around 3.0 inch and may require reduction. Of couse, if you have access to a local muffler shop, this is not an issue. I just want to make it easy to try other mufflers with little or no pipe modification.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
J R said:
I would really recomend some more research on exhaust theory
I've been trying to :D , not having much luck finding info about it on-line though ;) :p but I will just give me some time :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Bonehead said:
I've been trying to :D , not having much luck finding info about it on-line though ;) :p but I will just give me some time :bigthumbsup:
Try this on fer size. :bigthumbsup:

LG

LionsGate said:
Since it seems to have gone missing, I'm placing a link to Big City Thunder's website regarding the topic of exhaust pipe basics. It's an Adobe .pdf file down on the lower right of the page, titled "Understanding Exhaust: The How and Why"

http://www.bigcitythunder.com/pages/exhaust_dynamics.html

The article is a good resource for anyone who's thinking about moving from stock pipes.

LG

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
:bigthumbsup: .............. thanks ;)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
and thanks for remembering me too!
DROOL.......................... oh sorry :p :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I guess my first set didnt get included either cause it's not all chrome and pretty.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
J R said:
The LAST thing you want from any kinda performance standpoint is a Supercrap muffler on this bike..You don't TUNE exhaust pulses and waves with a supertrap...Noise will be all your tuning as well as lowering power output as well as raising egt. temps to the moon...Maybe with no back plates whatsoever it might be OK ,,,,but putting those plates on there that where designed to be a spark arrester ain't the way to go......Expansion chambers come on two strokes :dontknow: ?????Do you mean the collector ? The thing you want to cut off and put a nipple on :eek: :eek: I would really recommend some more research on exhaust theory before posting stuff.Its all wrong and your gonna have people doing things that hurt there performance and bike and not help them.Not a good thing.We want to help people to better there bike not ruin it with false or uneducated guesses.
First off I want to say that this thread is an attempt to have a single ongoing reference for muffler MODS. If you know something will not work, I expect folks to speak up. It is not my intent to post false or uneducated information. I posted it to get the discussion going and let peeps decide which way they want to modify their exhausts.

The SuperTrapp idea is NOT tuning for more horsepower, the bike has plenty. It's mainly for sound (i.e. keyword TONES).

Thanks for the corrections J R.. :bigthumbsup:

I was calling the catalytic convert an expansion chamber. My bad... My C90 had a chamber similar that was a completely empty, 8 lb piece of dead weight.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
slickdj96 said:
I guess my first set didnt get included either cause it's not all chrome and pretty.
Hi Slick,

Didn't mean to miss anyone. Just ran out of time to work on this thread today. Gotta work for the man so the bills get paid.

I thought I saw another exhaust that was wrapped in silver heat tape on a silver 109 somewhere. I can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I figured man I was just giving ya a hard time. I dont know that I've seen the silver wrap exhaust that you are talking about, but I'll keep a eye out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts