M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lot of talk about the throttle problem when accelerating.I my self had this problem at the meet.Thanks to a few people I thought the problem was fixed,but it happend on the way home.After talking to the suzuki mechs in town I found out that they have never changed out the fuel filter before(by the way they had a 9 in there for the same problem),but I bought one any way.When I pulled mine out it looked like just some small specks on it so I put it back on.Bad idea as 2 hours later same problem.Upon closer inspection(cutting open the mesh) I found out how nasty it was.I think that if they are this clogged then the filter must have a hell of a lot of suction on it when you accelerate.when the fuel sloshes or you hit a bump the rubber boot that surrounds it must suck up against it restricting the flow even more.So when you cut it off the boot falls back to normal position.thats why it doesnt die when coming to a stop.It still gets fuel.After showing this to the mechs they were in aggreance.Jus thought I would put this out there.Bike screams again.Thanks for the help guys.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thats very interesting information, thank you. You ended up changing the mesh filter and it helped the bike run better? I am going to change mine this week, I am glad there is a difference when doing it. Thank you for posting this.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Great Info ! How Many miles on your bike when this ocurs? Im not having that problem yet but would like to know when is a good time to put a new one in.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
thanks for the info Chad, Thats gonna be very handy in a few days when i do this! Im at 11,000 miles now so iguess its time! Thanks Bro!:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,037 Posts
Don't remove that rubber boot, you have to have it there on a fuel injection system. It's not there to protect the filter but to act as a "slosh tray". Say you are cornering hard or braking hard, the fuel will run away from the filter and you lose fuel pressure. The boot holds enough fuel around the filter to keep it in fuel until you return to normal position again. Plus the filter is perforated all the way around, so it shouldn't suck the boot to it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I had 8000 on mine when it happened.I dont know if my boot was different but it didnt have any perf.will check it again if it happens again.:joke:

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
WELL THEN, I'M DO:eek: Still stock and it's sucked 27,600 miles worth of GAS! Winter project:bigthumbsup: I might add I 99.9% of the time, run 93 octane by Sunoco mainly or Shell. But 93 octane all-ways:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
man im at 17k+ and still havent changed mine, and have had no problems at all. maybe this winter i will do that.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Thanks I had 8000 on mine when it happened.I dont know if my boot was different but it didnt have any perf.will check it again if it happens again.:joke:
Zoom said the filter is perforated not the boot over it. With ethanol in the fuel now and not a lot of vehicles using premium fuel these "screens" can get clogged up! Buy a new one and keep it around until you have to pull the tank off and then put it in. It is easy to do and can save you from having problems on the road. Been there :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Assuming you don't have rust inside your tank then this crud must be coming from the gas pump. Why cant the gas stations filter the gas as it's pumped and give us clean fuel??

I've never had this problem in cars that have 150,000+ plus miles on them....why is it such a problem for our bikes?? :dontknow:

....Just curious and wondering if anyone has some insight!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I got about 30,000 miles on mine and then I had the same problem. It would act like it was running out of fuel. It was especially worse on a long and hot run.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
I had somewhere around 10,000 when it happened to me. Would not accelerate worth a poo, occasionally died on me for no reason, than started right up again.

Changed the filter, and all has been good so for, 4,000 miles to date.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Here is what I know.
It is becomming aparent to several marine mechanics that some gas with ethanol, mixed with non-ethanol gas will create a filter clogging by-product. However, it is effecting mostly the -10 micron filters. I don't think that this is a major threat now to our bikes. But, it may effect some based on where you buy gas. Another problem would be the hydroscopic effect that ethanol has on gas. It will seperate the water and bring it to the bottom in colder climates. In some cases it has created a "sludge" effect in tanks and containers. It will also "clean" the inside of your tanks due to the alcohol content. Not a good idea to add more alcohol from certain fuel treatments to the mix of already a 10% mixture.
All-in-all different cases for different vehicles including boats. I have a Yamaha 90 hp 4-stroke that I just spent $400 repairing and replacing lines, check valves, filters and cleaning injector pre-filters due to the effects of ethanol. Going forward my boat will get an ethanol fuel treatment like "Star Tron" that is an enzyme and contains no alcohol.
My "9" has been getting the treatment for several weeks now with good results.

·
Registered
735 Posts
mileage on filter

I have run strickly on shell 93 octane and BP 93 0ctane and stuck to stations that you see alot of vehicles using and I have 14000 plus on my nine without any problems with the fuel filter so I guess its the stations that are pumping dirt into your tank that is the problem. If you are traveling out of your area alot then you probably don't have the privilege of knowing which stations are used the most and never never never fuel your bike while a tanker is filling their storage tanks, you will get more dirt than you bargain for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts