M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just got through playing around with the exhaust alittle more, have removed 1 baffle completely and drilled out all center walls. Well I notice alot of condensation when I start the bike up, the inside is wet after just a few minutes of running. It is in the 50'S or below here and do not know if this is sufficient cause for this or not, the bike wasn't completely cold since I had ridden it today. This is my first bike so  :dontknow: Talked to a old Harley friend of mine and he says it could be blown head gasket ?? Also he said that I was tinkering with the bike to much and can void warranty. It has PCIII, Skeeter air -intake and what I stated about the exhaust. 

First question is about the condensation and Second is could what I have done to the bike void warranty. I do know the burden of proof is on them from a act ??? in 1975 and all dealers are different. Just the thought of having a blown head gasket and it not being covered under warranty is raising my blood pressure.

Third what are the signs of a blown head gasket.

I have 4078mi on the bike, changed over to amsoil after 1200mi, in the past 2000mi it has used just under a half of qt of oil.

Would like to thank in advance all who reply, you guys don't know how much I appreciate being able to pick your brains, because I know sheet when it comes to bikes. The little  that I do know about them has come from this site. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Re: Condensation in exhaust

half a quart in 2000 miles? you need to contact ppridgeon or JR or lamonster. they can tell you alot more than me; but, i really don't think it should use any measurable amount in 2000 miles. half a quart is a big amount for a bike like this.

·
Registered
775 Posts

oh and the warranty; from what i understand about warranties the manufacturer can only denie warranty repairs to a product if the damage or malfunction in need of repair can be proven to be a direct result of after-market modifications done without consent or knowledge of the warranty guarenteer. ( if the jsd or pipe mods caused the damage they won't cover it; if just factory screw up that led to a malfunction, they have to fix it)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The bike is garage kept, I noticed when I fired it up there was alot of stem and after alittle while it was down to what you would consider normal. I thought the bike was using oil before and took it in and even called suz and got the bs run around. They put some oil in it with out telling me and said it was fine, the reason I know is they didn't clean up their mess, oil drip mark down the side of the bike. I think I put in about the same last time so in 2800mi it has use almost a qt of oil, dam that can't be good and I so hate to deal with the stealer's.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Re: Condensation in exhaust Attn :JR, Lamonster, ppridgeon

Probably not a blown head gasket. Actually it would probably make your oil level read higher. See if condensation still occurs when ambient temp is higher.
How are you checking your oil? Our particular style oil system makes it critical that you check per your owner's manual instruction to obtain an accurate reading. Possibly the oil on side when dealer's people checked was just a sloppy tech who dripped some off the stick, as opposed to your dealer lying.
Modifications you make must be cause of problem to void warranty, but some dealers will mess with you.
Jer

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

15 min idle 3 min cool check real quick, I appreciate but I have done my homework on this issue, I was one of the ones that was over filled from the stealer. I wen outside to check to see if there was any water in the oil and the dipstick is reading full on its side and when I added the oil I got it to the full mark, go figure.

·
Registered
476 Posts

I would think the condensation just comes from the humidity in the air and the temperature difference of the pipes being colder, causing the humid air to condense from gaseous to liquid, look at your car/truck exhaust they will also probably have moisure condensing, especially if your temperature is getting down in the 50s. As for the oil, for sure the way to check this beast oil is a pain in the azz, and leaves a lot of variables. If you aren't seeing oil on the garage floor and you aren't getting oil smoke out the exhaust ... I would just monitor the oil and not worry a whole lot, my faith in what the dealer mechanics say is not for sh*t, I would definitely look for an answer from someone like JR or Perry who know this bike. As for warranty, just pull of the jds and intakes and put the stock back on. I had the dealer install my pclll yesterday, that way they cover the mod,but in the long run I don't have a lot of faith in dealers and warranties, have got screwed to many times in the past over warranties, they seem to always be able to find a way to get out of them. Good luck, don't let it stress you out. :bigthumbsup:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts

Condensation is normal. A lot of bikes have weep holes in the pipes just for that reason, my Valkyrie did. I wouldn't worry about it, just ride it and don't sweat the small stuff. ;)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

Lamonster said:
Condensation is normal. A lot of bikes have weep holes in the pipes just for that reason, my Valkyrie did. I wouldn't worry about it, just ride it and don't sweat the small stuff. ;)
+1 .................. its normal in all gas power motors , ever notice water dripping out of car exhaust. Its basically caused by the rapid cooling of the exhaust gases as the exit the exhaust , itsalso the reason most all factory exhaust on gas cars/trucks are stainless steel (so it won't rust from the inside out) :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

The condensation is coming from the air condition. Running it when it's real hot outside makes more condensation than normal. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
514 Posts

Do you start the bike and shut it off after a short period of time? If so, there is your problem. All bikes will do exactly that.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I put some plugs in the exhaust to see how it sounded, but didn't take it for a ride and that is the reason I noticed I was making sure the plugs was holding, sounds better :bigthumbsup: I am more concerned about the oil situation now, will just keep a record of it and see whats what. i know when it is cold outside with hot gas with create moisture but I guess its the first time I looked up a tail pipe to see it, so it kinda surprised me.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

F. Running an engine in a closed garage is a good way to kill everybody from exhaust fumes.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

I tend to just not warm mine up. The new tank makes it hard to get to my choke now..and as long as I keep filters new/clean in it then she doesn't have much problems. If I do need to warm her up...I'll be out there beside her. Good time to clean the shield or tank and add a quick coat of carnuba to the tank.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Well I just found out today what the deal is with the excess condensation, my emissions are disconnected. Which was done at the shop and was told that it would run cooler but wasn't told about this. Serious I would crank it up and let it heat up alittle and blip the throttle and a good size spay will come out the pipe, was freaking me out. Oh well it teaches me about mucking around with things with out doing research on it :read: :joke:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts