M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a year and a half of finding and saving great "parts" sites in my favorites, my computer crashes and I lose everything. I could never remember them all. Could some of you post some of your "MUST HAVE" sites. It would be greatly appreciated.:bow:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
You sure it's lost? Did your hard drive die?

If NO, it can probably be recovered.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I know what you mean, we had a lightning strike on Memorial Day weekend, in our front yard, that took out both of our computers and all the related hook-up equipment, plus a few other electrical devices that were plugged in and turned on.:eek::-[:'(

Took them to Best Buy, and it was found that everything was fried, including the hard drives. Nothing recoverable at all. The really bad part is the lightning strike was completely unexpected, as the storms had gone well north of our location, and there was nothing on local radar at all. I had everything turned off until I thought the coast was clear, turned it on when it appeared safe, then WHAM!

Insurance paid for the fixes, minus deductable of course. But, like you, I lost a ****load of links, music videos and old cartoons I had down-loaded from You Tube ( I do this because of their habit of deleting good stuff for copy right infringements).

Now I have a couple of 8, 16 and 32 gig flash drives, and everything I believe important is backed up on those, just in case.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
That is why I have a few 320GB WD Passport USB drives. I backup everything import to them on a regular basis and store them away. It can't get fried if it's not connected to the PC.

It's save me tons of headaches several times.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I recommend you purchase a quality surge protector for any expensive electronic item connected to an outlet.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I recommend you purchase a quality surge protector for any expensive electronic item connected to an outlet.
Have them, apparently they do not work to well when you get a CLOSE range lightning strike. They were fried as well.:eek:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Have them, apparently they do not work to well when you get a CLOSE range lightning strike. They were fried as well.:eek:
But when I mean surge protection, I don't mean a flat strip protection. I'm talking about APC, Furman.............. Nothing can truly stand up to the power of lightning but these help. Lightning hit my house once my phone, microwave and both garage door openers were trashed. But my audio/video, computer and guitar rackmounts survived with a quality protector.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/F1000UPS/

·
Registered
948 Posts
Unrecoverable is a subjective term. It depends on how much you are willing to spend. For a fun read go to www.drivesavers.com. The stuff that they have pulled data off of will amaze you.... so will the prices. But generally speaking that is what best buy is gonna tell the average consumer. But if your machine is mission critical to your business you need to know about Drive Savers. Or maybe you have family photos of dead loved ones that are seemingly lost forever... not so... placed in the right hands.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info... nothing on there that I cant live without. It's not worth spending the $$$$$ to retrieve.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I use Norton Online Back-up which works great for me. You can set a time for the backup to run each day, week or even month. I use it to restore all my files when I bought a new PC. Only cost $50.00 a year.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I use Norton Online Back-up which works great for me. You can set a time for the backup to run each day, week or even month. I use it to restore all my files when I bought a new PC. Only cost $50.00 a year.
I couldn't agree more. I use Carbonite online $55.00 a year. I'll tell you, it is the best money I have ever spent. You don't even have to think about it, it is just done for you. I use to burn it to DVD disks and then take them to work with me. Coming from some IT experience, I am a FIRM believer in if you care about it, back it up. and if you just would die if you lost, back it up and store it remotely. I mean all the photos and videos you have spent years collecting, it would be a shame to loose all of them. I have 39GB of memories and counting. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
That is why I have a few 320GB WD Passport USB drives. I backup everything import to them on a regular basis and store them away. It can't get fried if it's not connected to the PC.

It's save me tons of headaches several times.
I just purchased a 6 drive external hard drive. I have it set up for 1tb with 4 bays left

A computer geek may be able to get some info of your fried hard drive

1 - 15 of 15 Posts