M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with any experience on a decently priced rider/pillon device that works bike to bike as well?

Id like to find something that will work pretty good upto say 70mph. Alot of review controversy on these so if anyone has any experience on this please let me know thanks!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Wife & I have some cheap family radio things...and some motorcycle helmet headsets. When we first got the radios...they came with real cheap headsets...that were useless, but probably *mostly* because I prefer to wear half helmets. I could hear her...but she couldn't understand me: too much wind noise.

We've not tried the units since I purchased new headsets. I got some fancy Nady headset units now with foam coverings on the mics....and actually DO have a full face I promised I'd wear once she was prepared to try them again. They also have a PTT button that you can velcro to the handlebars.....or they can be used VOX if your radio supports it properly. Everything I have seen though....these units (any units) are NOT good for VOX on a bike.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We do hand signals now and she likes to Tap my helmet ALOT when she wants my attention. I cant control the Volume on a well placed TAP. But i can on an intercomm deal :evil:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put the Starcom system on my M109 (the dearer Starcom model). You can play an iPod into it and have bluetooth for your phone as well. After a bit of adjusting the vox etc in full face helmets its fantastic upto 130kph. I haven't really had anyone to talk to above that speed so it's probably fine at high speed. With open face helmets upto 80 kph is good but above that you'll need to put the larger foam on the mike to reduce wind noise.

Using the intercom and phone is amazingly clear. I've got it so we can talk without cutting out the music.  For bike to bike we only have cheap two-ways and they are fine. The Starcom unit is so good my girls getting one for her Vespa (which incidently gives my bike a run for the money across a set of traffic lights). 

P.S. Don't use an MP3/iPod with a hard disk as the vibration will eventually trash it. Use something like a Nano

:p

·
Registered
665 Posts
When I got my Mean Streak,my wife asked the dealer if you could get a intercom system on it. She told him how we used to ride our Gold Wing,and how great it was to be able to talk back and forth to me,about "when we get home,you need to mow the grass,or paint the shed,ect. The dealer looked at me,then turned to her and said "NOPE"! Ya gotta LOVE that guy! :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ron S said:
When I got my Mean Streak,my wife asked the dealer if you could get a intercom system on it. She told him how we used to ride our Gold Wing,and how great it was to be able to talk back and forth to me,about "when we get home,you need to mow the grass,or paint the shed,ect. The dealer looked at me,then turned to her and said "NOPE"! Ya gotta LOVE that guy! :D
This sounds oddly familiar :bigthumbsup: :D

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I put the speakers/mics into the helmets last night just before I went to bed. Hoping if it doesn't rain this evening, I can convince the wife to go on a 45 minute ride or so to test them out.

If we're happy with them, I'll post model #s of both headsets and radios.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wildwolf said:
I put the speakers/mics into the helmets last night just before I went to bed. Hoping if it doesn't rain this evening, I can convince the wife to go on a 45 minute ride or so to test them out.

If we're happy with them, I'll post model #s of both headsets and radios.
Ahh that would be great! Over on another board Gradona mentioned using chatterbox frs x2 said they work good also.

If yours are as good it sounds like ill have atleast 2 good options to work with :read:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've always heard good things about Chatterboxes...but as I'm a cheap SOB....they weren't an option.

I spent $45 for two radios at best buy with a 12 mile range and $30 each for the headsets, so I've got $105 in everything. IIRC, the Chatterboxes are $200 each (for radio & headset).

What they DO have, that my setup doesn't have, is is you can buy another cable set, and have rider to passenger intercom along with the bike to bike. My setup is only bike to bike....of course, your passenger can just buy a radio/headset and get that functionality also, so I guess it was moot to mention it.

Another option, which I can't remember is a radio set I seen a member of that other site you posted on. PM "NoPork" in Nashville, TN and ask him what radio unit he uses. It's _really_ expensive, but looks _really_ cool and works great.

Roger

·
Registered
414 Posts
Morgs said:
I put the Starcom system on my M109 (the dearer Starcom model). You can play an iPod into it and have bluetooth for your phone as well. After a bit of adjusting the vox etc in full face helmets its fantastic upto 130kph. I haven't really had anyone to talk to above that speed so it's probably fine at high speed. With open face helmets upto 80 kph is good but above that you'll need to put the larger foam on the mike to reduce wind noise.

Using the intercom and phone is amazingly clear. I've got it so we can talk without cutting out the music. For bike to bike we only have cheap two-ways and they are fine. The Starcom unit is so good my girls getting one for her Vespa (which incidently gives my bike a run for the money across a set of traffic lights).Â

P.S. Don't use an MP3/iPod with a hard disk as the vibration will eventually trash it. Use something like a Nano

:p
Starcom? I did an internet search and can't find it...do you have a link...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
and yall bitch about people on the cell phones?....lol :bigthumbsup: :doorag: :joke:
Somewhat different concept. I'd look forward to being able to tell my wife when we're going through an intersection "Watch that grandpa in the towncar, he sees me but he may not notice you". I'm in the habit now that every time the two of us ride, that I blip the throttle at every intersection...and if I think somebody's not noticing her start through it....I gun it a bit to catch up to her slightly and blip it some more.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ppridgen1 said:
and yall bitch about people on the cell phones?....lol :bigthumbsup: :doorag: :joke:
Ahh but have you ridden with a woman who has to pee super bad and shes beat the crap outta yer helmet wanting you to pull over somewhere and you drive by a stopping place because you were trying to figure out WTF her problem was haha.

Nah in all honesty i think it will make things a little more enjoyable and once she gets her bike then i can help her with little tips while shes ridding :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I sing to myself and cuss all the other drivers........voice activated would be no good, but using the "pass" button as a "talk"switch for the radios would be great

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
for the high-end, you probably won't be able to find a helmet more baddass (audio-wise) than this...

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2006/03/bmw_motorrad_wcs1_bluetooth_helmet.html

at $910, you probably won't be able to find a more expensive helmet either :p.

i've been searching and searching for a bluetooth helmet device that does stereo to an MP3 player. this was the only one i've found. i see they also sell the audio system in an upgrade-yourself version without the helmet. i'm going to call the local bmw dealer for a price on it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Chatterbox GMRS X-1's. The wife and I both have them and they are lifesavers. On most of the rides we go on she rides at the tail of the group and I'm at the front. She can keep me updated on the group and I can keep her updated on road conditions. And two times so far she has been able to call me and tell me to turn around and come back because a rider has fallen.

Now some reasons on why I like the Chatterboxes better than others. Like mentioned before when riding two up all you need is an extra headset and a cable (PS2 mouse cable) and you're setup to talk with your passenger. I can talk to my wife at anything under 115 mph and still hear her ver clearly. Water resistant and easy to use with gloves on. Great battery life. And you don't have to buy additional walkie talkie radios to use with it like you do with the Starcom (less wires to jack around with.) So far my wife any I have used them for well over 10k miles and have only been stepped on one time while talking. Great radios and I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I have the NADY MRC11x  and they work pretty good for anything under about 60mph. Once you start pushing 70 the wind noise becomes too much.

But at 60$ each it was a pretty cheap solution. My wife and I each have one for bike to bike, and my daughter jacks into mine so she can talk to me when we are riding 2 up.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
JUtah said:
I have the NADY MRC11x and they work pretty good for anything under about 60mph. Once you start pushing 70 the wind noise becomes too much.

But at 60$ each it was a pretty cheap solution. My wife and I each have one for bike to bike, and my daughter jacks into mine so she can talk to me when we are riding 2 up.
My problem is with the Nady headsets I purchased. They won't work properly with my Cobra radios. Headsets are great...when I talk with a radio w/o headset, I can hear on the radio with the connected headset just fine. The PTT buttons don't work properly when connected though....so the whole set up is useless. (won't work as "VOX" either....heck, have to be on the "VOX" setting just to get anything to work).

I, personally, give up until I feel like I want to spend $500 on a known solution.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts