M109 Rider Forums banner

Communication Devices for Helmets???

8K views 49 replies 31 participants last post by  ducks517 
#1 ·
Want to get a nice set of communication devices for helmets that has good functions. I want to buy them before the upcoming riding season. I would like a set that can play music, talk and bluetooth would be awesome. What are you guys using with Pro's and Con's for all of them. Also where you guys bought them. Want to search out the best set for the money. Those 8 hr rides would be nice with a little communication between the two of us. Think my daughter and girlfriend would be real happy with them. May need a shut off switch too. LOL

Thanks guys
Len

#4 · (Edited)
I have the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 set, they now make a Cardo Scala Rider G4.. The X and I enjoyed them and it has radio (but no good in the mountains) But you can plug in your ipod and can answer ur phone if you need... The G4 is out now, not sure if it better or not but I like mine.... :bigthumbsup: I got mine off of ebay.. Am thinking about upgrading to the G4 since the X took hers when she left ... :dontknow: Let me know what you end up with Len..

#6 ·
I have the Q2 set as well, the wife and I really like it.

#5 ·
ive got the scala G4, sound quality is great and the FM radio has presets but if im using the radio,then my phone doesnt ring through. IE fm turns off and you hear the phone ringing... if im blutoothing themusic from my adndriod phone, then the telephone function works great....but honestly, i like the radio feature better. maybe i dont have something setup correctly either...i think i may buy the motoralo chatterbox though and give it a try

#7 ·
I have the Scala Q2 as well. My only issue with them is that you need to use them in a full face helmet. At freeway speeds under 65 mph they are pretty decent, above that they can be a little difficult to hear, but I'm hard of hearing I am told also. I use them with my Shark modular helmet. The new Scala G4 version has Bluetooth and conference calling. I'm not sure if the Q2 is bluetooth (I believe so but not possitive) but I never use it. Oh, and when you start getting to much chatter, you can just push the button to turn them off. Especially when everyone starts singing songs in your ear. But they might get a little ticked off when they try talking to you and find out you turned them off, wife has picked up on that trick.:eek:

I only use them when we are going on long rides, or making alot of stops. It does make it easier when my navigator changes her mind and want to go a different direction or make a different stop as planned.

When I was looking at the differnet ones I didn't care for the Chatterbox because the box on the side of the helmet was much larger and bulkier than the Scala ones. You can go to the Scala web site and compare the different models.

http://www.cardosystems.com/homepage

I also got mine at 50% off on black Friday last year at Cycle Gear. I believe The final price was around $160 for the Q2 multi set. That was another reason I got them as well.

#8 ·
Funny this topic is at the top of the page the day after I have this chat with my wife ... She is getting tired of yelling over my shoulder and me not hearing her. I tell her it is the wind because we are going so fast but she knows I am just ignoring her!

I looked at the Cardo Scala Rider G4 and have only one question ... how well does this system fit under a full face helmet?

No i have not used the search function ... I am cpu illiterate.

#11 ·
LOL, got tired of the wife knocking on the back of my helmet to get my attention, then yelling we missed our exit a ways back. No ignoring that, or the leg pinch either.

We use our system with both open or full face helmets, only thing is with freeway speeds and open helmets, sometimes the voice activation stays activated, which kills the battery faster. And for some reason, our system needs ambiant noise, like starting the bike, to get it to come on. I asked around, I guess this is common on Scala systems.

#9 · (Edited)
I've been looking at these as well. Most reviews pick the Sena SMH-10 as the overall best system. Here is a link to one of the reviews: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/2010-motorcycle-intercom-comparison.htm

Cardo is coming out with a Scala G9 system very shortly and here is a preview of it: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/cardo-scala-rider-g9/

I'll wait until some user feedback is available on the G9 before I decide. No hurry, just got a few more inches of snow today.

#10 ·
Scala Q2 here and love it. Also have a g4 and that allows you to link 3 together. Giddy, Mary and myself ride and chat all the time. Can hear very clear upwards of 90 mph.

I had chatterbox in the past and hated it. Their voice activation absolutely sucked for loud bikes and the units were very pricey and very big. I cannot say whether they have improved but i am a huge scala fan.

#16 ·
Scala Q2 here and love it. Also have a g4 and that allows you to link 3 together. Giddy, Mary and myself ride and chat all the time. Can hear very clear upwards of 90 mph.

I had chatterbox in the past and hated it. Their voice activation absolutely sucked for loud bikes and the units were very pricey and very big. I cannot say whether they have improved but i am a huge scala fan.
Harris you guys have the boom mic or the wire one that hooks into the front of your helmet? I like the Scala models. Not sure I like the boom. Wonder if there is any difference in performance between the two. I have a full face so either would work.

#20 ·
We have the Q2 and they've worked fine for about 3 years now. They have the boom mic but you can also get a hard wire kit for them that lets you mount the mic semi-permanent in the chin guard. We also use them on 3/4 helmets and they work OK there too.

If you really like listening to music and want to stream it via bluetooth, the G4 may do you better. I think they are stereo bluetooth and the Q2's are mono. You can plug your ipod or phone directly into them and get stereo, but via bluetooth it's mono.

Battery life is great too. As I said, we've had ours about 3 years and use them on every ride. We rode Saturday and I wanted to run the units down to get a good charge in them, and they stayed on until late Sunday evening. At least 30 hours of time. Talking will reduce the time some but we've never had them go dead on a ride.

#21 · (Edited)
G4 all the way!!!

Love it.......Yes to the foam behind the speakers....I have a full face and I have changed to the wired mike, well worth the $60.00 or so.

At full speed......people have a hard time believing Im on my bike when Im using my phone, I-phone....a custom ring will come through the speakers SOOOO you only answer the ones you want to talk to!!!

Nitrogary:

If the FM Radio doent cut out when the phone rings.....maybe ubdate to the latest version. Another thing I love is the ability to update the software!!!!

#22 ·
G4 all the way!!!

Love it.......Yes to the foam behind the speakers....I have a full face and I have changed to the wired mike, well worth the $60.00 or so.

At full speed......people have a hard time believing Im on my bike when Im using my phone, I-phone....a custom ring will come through the speakers SOOOO you only answer the ones you want to talk to!!!

Nitrogary:

If the FM Radio doent cut out when the phone rings.....maybe ubdate to the latest version. Another thing I love is the ability to update the software!!!!
Damn dude, you are crazy ... full speed AND answering the phone. I have not even made "Full Speed" yet, at 200km my helmet wanted to pull off my head so I decided that was fast enough for me that day, nevermind chatting on the damn phone!

#23 ·
Those helmet mounted rechargeable systems are good, but sargent duke posted his system and I was hooked, its a Starcom system,wired helmet Bluetooth ,phone, GPS, music. I Just use the phone and the volume control on the Handel bar ,I have side burners
I needed a loud system and I got it !

#25 ·
Just installed the Scala G4 in our helmets yesterday, had chatterbox, what a POS, there service department sucks, had the chatterbox two years, couldn't take it any more, just hope the G4 lives up to the reputation, they are clear and set up with the I phone, sounds good so far,,,,

#29 ·
I got the Scala Rider G4 Powerset. I found it online at some lil shop for 327.99. So I called Cycle Gear and asked them if they Price match. I gave them the website where i found it and they matched it no problem, excellant deal. System works great:D

#33 ·
Scala Q2 for us as well.
We can talk at Hwy speeds.
You can set it so it only comes on when you press the talk button.

#40 ·
Had the Scala but changed to the sena. Works best for us. Two buttons, easy control.
Talk with up to 4 people (works v well with 2 doing VOX or constant open circuit)
Bluetooth to phone
Bluetooth to ipod or phone tunes
No radio but I found the scala radio garbage (perhaps it was just our area)
Bluetooth to GPS if you want.
Battery life is good
I woudl buy this one again if it was stolen.

#42 ·
Ready to order but I think I need the corded model not the boom due to not that much room in front of my helmet. I only see that the nonboom models are labeled for snowmobiles. Am I not seeing the difference besides boom or no boom mic? I don't see any spec differences between the two on their website. Was just going to get the snowmobile model since I don't see any difference. Help so I can order this please

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.