M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with a 2008 and up, please comment on shift quality. All this talk about missed shifts, etc. has got me tuned in to the tranny. Just turned over 1900 miles on my odo, and compared to the day I picked it up, it's night and day! Was so notchy at first, I thought, how long am I going to be able to put up with this. Within the last 200 miles or so, it has taken on almost a shift-kit-like quality. Very snick-snick.

No issues with missed upshifts, ever, in any gear, but the occasional false neutral on downshift, maybe once per week. But that could be because I am trying to tap it down like my Ninja, which has a shift kit in it. More diligence in downshifting pressure has led to this becoming nonexistent as well, maybe as it breaks in further it will require less pressure.

I do enjoy the ability with the sensitive FI system to do the throttle blip rev matching downshift. So much displacement a poorly timed downshift wants to throw you over the bars~!

Chris

·
Registered
738 Posts
Ride something else for a month, then get back on your 9. Guarantee the "notchiness" will come right back. You've just gotten used to the bike I think.

I have a 2008, and when I get back on after riding my GSXR for awhile - there's a learning/remembering curve!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ride something else for a month, then get back on your 9. Guarantee the "notchiness" will come right back. You've just gotten used to the bike I think.

I have a 2008, and when I get back on after riding my GSXR for awhile - there's a learning/remembering curve!
Man I love throwing a leg over the Ninj right after getting off the 9. Like getting on a bicycle! Any pigginess I thought my 7 had just goes right away.

Just like you said, and just like I tell the guys I train doing heavy weights, it's 90% mental.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
My yellow one was really clunky! I would miss shifts going into 2nd or it would catch in 2nd and pop back into "N". The orange 08 i just picked does not feel the same. It shifts much easier.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
08 Orange and shifts fine. It does not seem as clunky as the 06 did, but even the 06 got better after you got used to it.

Just shift it like you mean it and all will be fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
aside from it being kinda noisy/clunky, the only thing i get is missed 2nd gear if im really revving it up in first. 1st to 2nd around 2500 to 3K are smooth. anything above that and i havea hard time finding the right place to shift it cleanly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
08 and up

Hey guy's

So the 07' traniee's are clunkier and notchier than the 08' & up.

at what miles do they start to break in and get smoother??

Thanks

Westgl

·
Registered
143 Posts
Anyone with a 2008 and up, please comment on shift quality. All this talk about missed shifts, etc. has got me tuned in to the tranny. Just turned over 1900 miles on my odo, and compared to the day I picked it up, it's night and day! Was so notchy at first, I thought, how long am I going to be able to put up with this. Within the last 200 miles or so, it has taken on almost a shift-kit-like quality. Very snick-snick.

No issues with missed upshifts, ever, in any gear, but the occasional false neutral on downshift, maybe once per week. But that could be because I am trying to tap it down like my Ninja, which has a shift kit in it. More diligence in downshifting pressure has led to this becoming nonexistent as well, maybe as it breaks in further it will require less pressure.

I do enjoy the ability with the sensitive FI system to do the throttle blip rev matching downshift. So much displacement a poorly timed downshift wants to throw you over the bars~!

Chris
Chris,

I have an 08, when I first got her she was very tight and I my tight ;)! But once she was broken in and I had her serviced she has been as smooth as can be. I have not really had any problems to think of...just remember and I'm sure you already know this you gotta shifter like you mean it! I noticed with mine when I am getting on it shifts even better! Thats my humble $0.02...hope that helps. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
my orange shifted like crap. the shift star made it a little better. my '07 shifted better out of the box than the '08 did after the star mod. i waited until my first oil change to install the shift star on the '07 and i have no idea what shifting problems you guys are talking about now.:dontknow:
my personal opinion is that its a bike to bike problem. probably more bikes have a problem than dont.
I dont know who said it first but "shift like you mean it" is some great advice!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
My Bike's tranny feels like a box of rocks. Not a fan of this at all. Initially, it felt pretty good, but now feels like crap. Mostly on downshifting, though. Shifting like you mean it is the only way to ride these things.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I had my tranny rebuilt cause 2nd gear was a piece of crap. After the rebuild with stock parts in the tranny and the evo shift star its like a completly different bike. I really do believe that the trans was assembled wrong from factory and whatever the shop did on the rebuild took care of the issue. Bike shifts very smoothly now regardless if im just crusin or hammering it to redline it is a very quick click. I never miss 2nd anymore< in fact the only trouble i seldomly have is finding Neutral on the downshift. Truly no more clucky trans< it shifts better then my V65 magna did.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 2009 has the clunky 1st-to-2nd also.

Like other riders here, I pre-load the shifter, shift as quick as I can, and 'shift like I mean it'.

I hear that big cylinder Kawasaki's have the same problem.

Seldom miss shifts - at least no more than any other bike I've had.

Sometimes have to hunt for neutral while stopped. While holding the front brake firmly, ease the clutch handle out very slightly while in gear. When the bike starts to tug forward, pull in the clutch handle, and try finding neutral again.

This too seems normal for many bikes.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Clunk !

Sometimes the Ranga does it going into 1st,but after that,nothing to complain about.Smooth as. KEZZ.:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
146 Posts
shifting

I have an 09 with a Fatory Pro Shift star and spring also use 20W-50 and get the clunk from 1st to 2nd. I just live with it. Havent ridden an older 9 to actually compare the too. Guess nature of the BEAST.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Must be lucky. Mine shifts great. 3000 or 7000. SO FAR....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have an 09 with a Fatory Pro Shift star and spring also use 20W-50 and get the clunk from 1st to 2nd. I just live with it. Havent ridden an older 9 to actually compare the too. Guess nature of the BEAST.
Running 10w40 Motul 300V in my bikes. It's well respected, though not used much in USA. Fell in love with it when I saw it's cold starting capabilities. Flows amazingly.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
5000 miles on my 08, shifts fine, no problems with the bike overall.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
'08 Ltd Shifts ok if you shift it just right and are used to driving a truck that has to have it's transmission looked at.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts