M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for my first 100+ mile trip (2up) today. Without watching speedo, I found myself comfortably cruising just over 75 on the open highway. This speed felt comfortable and could easily converse with Wifey with a slight head turn. Just wanted to know what speed you guys cruise at comfortably?

G

·
Went out for my first 100+ mile trip (2up) today. Without watching speedo, I found myself comfortably cruising just over 75 on the open highway. This speed felt comfortable and could easily converse with Wifey with a slight head turn. Just wanted to know what speed you guys cruise at comfortably?
Solo, about 85-90. Two up, depending on the day(winds, etc.), 70.

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I generally cruise at about 65mph corrected which is showing 70 on my speedo with a 250 rear tire...sort of feels like you can do that forever. Now a few years back leaving the annual 109 meet, me and a few of the older members did a two hour stretch on I-81S at over 100 and other then keeping our eyes wide open for the law it was a very satisfying and comfortable ride. I have talked to a few members out west that had drained several tankfulls at over 120 without any problems...my biggest concern is not the bike but trying to explain to my grandkids why grandpa can't drive for awhile because he lost his license. :confused:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I generally cruise at about 65mph corrected which is showing 70 on my speedo with a 250 rear tire...sort of feels like you can do that forever. Now a few years back leaving the annual 109 meet, me and a few of the older members did a two hour stretch on I-81S at over 100 and other then keeping our eyes wide open for the law it was a very satisfying and comfortable ride. I have talked to a few members out west that had drained several tankfulls at over 120 without any problems...my biggest concern is not the bike but trying to explain to my grandkids why grandpa can't drive for awhile because he lost his license. :confused:
I'm singin now,,,,,,,,,,,,, "I CAN'T DRIVE,,,,,,,,,,,55" weeee gramps.........

·
Registered
423 Posts
I did 90 for about 40 mins straight today and I could barely hold my head against the wind by the end of it. You all running windshields cruising that fast?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ran between 85-100+ from Oklahoma City to Amarillo in the spring with windshield...felt like nothing after a while..gotta be careful of the puke doing that though....

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
I must be getting old. If my wife and I are riding, we normally run between 60 and 65 mph on 55 mph roads. Generally 5 to 10 mph over the posted speed.

If I'm out by myself I'll run a couple more than that, but some days I just like to run along about 60 mph and enjoy the ride and scenery. I like the fast rides too, but I really like just looking at stuff you don't see if you're hauling butt.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I must be getting old. If my wife and I are riding, we normally run between 60 and 65 mph on 55 mph roads. Generally 5 to 10 mph over the posted speed.

If I'm out by myself I'll run a couple more than that, but some days I just like to run along about 60 mph and enjoy the ride and scenery. I like the fast rides too, but I really like just looking at stuff you don't see if you're hauling butt.
Nope just you getting old. Please remand your bike to the custody of The Huff. Deliver to Morgantown, WV. Immediately! It's safer for all.:DJust kiddin':joke:

Course I'm not really kidding:joke:if you were gonna send me your bike:bigthumbsup::pop:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well now that I know that my speedo is off by 6 miles. I now know that I like running in the 70 to 75 range(75to80) on speedo. Ran kinda hard for a few miles today and did it one handed most of the time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
cruise 75 + 90% of the time. What ever we think we can get away with at the time and prefer 90 + but highway patrol limits that. Back roads are always 80-95, depends on the harley with me. Usually 95-100 with burst of 120-140 if the FMJ guys are around. Man those bikes are fast. Hit 140 today as my limit, he shut her down at 150 once he saw I was falling behind. These are short bursts of 5+ miles or so just to get the need for speed out of the way then we bring it back down to a comfy 80-100.

·
Registered
439 Posts
With zoom on this one, wife an i cruise at 110 to 120 tops an enjoy the ride an scenery.When im with the guys with out the wife will certainly do the 140 plus every now an again but im quite happy cruising at 110,probably why i brougth a cruiser not another sport tourer or rocket ship.go figure:joke:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I found myself comfortably cruising just over 75 on the open highway. This speed felt comfortable and could easily converse with Wifey with a slight head turn. Just wanted to know what speed you guys cruise at comfortably?
I assume you have radios in your helmets because there's no way to comfortably converse at 75mph by turning your head & talking with the wind noise alone.

With zoom on this one, wife an i cruise at 110 to 120 tops an enjoy the ride an scenery.When im with the guys with out the wife will certainly do the 140 plus every now an again but im quite happy cruising at 110 :joke:
Whatever dude!........oh wait you talking KPH not MPH. :joke:...........:doorag:

------------------------------

Yeah 70-75mph is in the bikes sweet spot where it's not working hard and it's very comfortable. Going 80+ mph on the interstate for over an hour or more gets old without a wind screen. I just grin & bear it and keep going so I can hit the fun mountain roads.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I like to ride about 60-70mph whether the speed limit is 70 or 25mph. :D

I use my GSXR for high speed runs.

·
Registered
643 Posts
In 5th gear on the highway, My C doesn't feel like its happy until about 75-80 MPH indicated , personally i am pretty good running what ever the flow of traffic is in the hammer lane

It is much easier to be comfortable on the C and I would imagine the M at well above posted speed limits , then on my previous rides which were smaller "mid-sized cruisers" between the drivetrain setup making it feel like the bike isn't even hardly above idle at those speeds, and the pure mass of the 9's compared to the feeling of the smaller bikes feeling like they were really getting a workout running the superslab on my commute

·
Registered
838 Posts
I did 90 for about 40 mins straight today and I could barely hold my head against the wind by the end of it. You all running windshields cruising that fast?
My buddy and I rode down from the meet in Va back home (Chas, SC) Think average speed was around 85-90 for 8 hours. I have a full face Icon. No problems at all. No sore neck, shoulders or back.
Just need to find that certain position with the least wind and ride.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts