M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the aerosol cans on small projects? Thinking of using it on my chin spoiler. Any pros or cons would be appreciated. ???

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Has anyone used the aerosol cans on small projects? Thinking of using it on my chin spoiler. Any pros or cons would be appreciated. ???
I used their paint, no problems here, except the price LOL, But same price having a can mixed at the paint store.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My personal experience was that I purchased Color Rite Paint for my bike to paint the new tank and chin spoiler last year, and the color wasn't even close, my painter has been matching factory paints for over 15 yrs (including 2 of my cars) and he couldn't get it close, it looked to be missing some tint. I ended up painting the intire bike and losing a month of spring riding.:mad: When I called Color Rite about thier product they blamed the painter and when I defended him they replied "well you can ship back the unused paint and IF we find anything wrong with it we''ll replace it".
so with the shipping costs for paint, the big "IF we" and the timing it would take I just repainted everything.
I would imagine someones had better luck than mine or they wouldn't be in business.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
My personal experience was that I purchased Color Rite Paint for my bike to paint the new tank and chin spoiler last year, and the color wasn't even close, my painter has been matching factory paints for over 15 yrs (including 2 of my cars) and he couldn't get it close, it looked to be missing some tint. I ended up painting the intire bike and losing a month of spring riding.:mad: When I called Color Rite about thier product they blamed the painter and when I defended him they replied "well you can ship back the unused paint and IF we find anything wrong with it we''ll replace it".
so with the shipping costs for paint, the big "IF we" and the timing it would take I just repainted everything.
I would imagine someones had better luck than mine or they wouldn't be in business.
Wow, there is someone we have not heard from in awhile. Good to see you back on here.
On the OP note, Yes, price is a big problem. My experience out of the can was great. Bought a can of metallic flat to match a yamaha engine cover. The paint was dead on and dried relatively quick. Just my experience and have not tried any other form of their paint as of yet.

G

·
Matched my stock wheel paint looking at color chips, and got a Honda silver. That's how much I valued Color Rite's ability to match color in a bottle for 30 freakin dollars. For the price, not my bag, but some people like it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
this thread can be filled up with people going back and forth. Some have had good luck and some haven't had any. That is just the way paint and paint companies go, some match some will have to be tinted. I have been painting cars and bikes for 20 years and own a body shop for the last 12 years, I have the best color matching tools available and every color is different. My opinion is some bike colors can be matched some can't. so roll the dice....

If it were me , I am doing it for a member that got in on the group buy, I would take your new spoiler, fit it on the bike to make sure you get it mounted without big problems so after you get it painted it wont get scratched going on. Then take it off and take off your radiator shroud and take them to a body shop and have them get the color close and then blend the color up a little ways onto the shrouds. This way the top of the shrouds close to the rest of the painted panels is still the same color and down by the spoiler it matches the spoiler. Then they will clear the peices and REQUEST them to use a flex additive in the clear and it will hold up nice against chipping . The other thing I would do is make sure you take it to a quality shop that uses quality products, makes a huge difference on how well it holds up. any questions pm me.:bigthumbsup:

here is a pick of mine

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Not Acrylic Lacquer

I would stay away from their acrylic lacquer paints. It looks good for about 20 minutes then it's downhill from there.

It chips easily. Gas softens it and removes it easily. It gets spider cracks in just a short time (less than a year).

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.:cus:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried it too.... I ordered the black, and it didn't match at all... you are better off bringing it to a profesional, and save all of the headaches !!! After all the products you have to order and all the time it takes to get it right... the cost is just about the same... go with the pro, you'll be much happier !!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I tried it too.... I ordered the black, and it didn't match at all... you are better off bringing it to a profesional, and save all of the headaches !!! After all the products you have to order and all the time it takes to get it right... the cost is just about the same... go with the pro, you'll be much happier !!
:agree: Mine didn't match

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
for my projects I learned that the sealer coat affects everthing we tried white and 4 shades of grey with three yellow on each one and had 5 different end results! so I painted the entire bike and made sure to buy enough paint to do extras in the future.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
for my projects I learned that the sealer coat affects everthing we tried white and 4 shades of grey with three yellow on each one and had 5 different end results! so I painted the entire bike and made sure to buy enough paint to do extras in the future.
Same here, even on the small parts i did, i used grey primer, and no go, After a little research and seeing a new tank with a little scratch through the finish coat, Low and behold, Zook used a white primer under the Blue vigor pearl, It matched when I redone them with the white primer.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I had my fairing painted with color-rite. I think the paint looked great. My painter (great guy who did a great job) didn't like it. He said that it took a lot more buffing and wet sanding to make it shine. The paint that he uses on his cars(he does a lot of costume work for pro ball plays and such) is much better. Overall, I am real happy.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Never used Color Rite paint but I have used Rustoleum Spray paint and clear coat. It looks like a gloss black powdercoat and holds up VERY well. Painted most of my small parts on the busa with it and never had an issue.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You have to get the kits if you want to match it up to your paint. Base coat, tint coat and clear. The painter who color matched my wheels did and they match the body perfectly. jus my 2 cents...:p

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
ive used thier aerosol cans for years, expensive ?, not really, convenient, ABSOLUTELY ! color matched fine for TOUCH UP jobs, which is the only time i need them. anything bigger and i use a PROFESSIONAL.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I used their White,Yellow,clear kit and the match was good enough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts