M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out for a ride today, and the temperature was about 5 degrees celsius (41 F). I have the JSD, stock plugs, and was running 94 octane fuel. Filter, and pipes are stock.
I noticed when I gave her full throttle from a stop, it hesitated every time, before letting go. Would the cold weather, 94 octane fuel and JSD have anything to do with this?
Has anyone else run in cold weather experienced this with any kind of set up? Never did this in the summer.
::) :dontknow:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Re: Cold weather engine performance

Mines 100% stock and doesn't do that. Actually I would say the cold air actually makes mine run better.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts

Hmm i was out on the 24th and it was exceptionaly cold, couldn't go full throttle but she was a bit on the rough side until about 10 minutes into the ride then she was normal, mined you i only run at 91-92 max octane and never have had a problem no hesitation, but i did have on the original plugs, did the plug diagnosis at second service required me to change to a colder plug. Bike felt like new after the change, that little hesitation i had before was gone and still is gone.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I have a feeling it is because of the 94 octane. I'm going to use 91 next tank and see what happens.
Thanks all

·
Registered
211 Posts

heators954 said:
Mines 100% stock and doesn't do that. Actually I would say the cold air actually makes mine run better.
Mine too, it a champ in the cold.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

same, cold weather makes mine better

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

Mine is a bit cold natured ,but once its up to full temp hold on because when the temps drop the fun goes up :evil:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts

I think it depends on the A/F ratio for your bike... From what I have seen on my bike, read, and heard, pretty much all of our bikes are a little on the lean side from the factory... especially if you do any intake and/or exhaust mods.
As it gets colder your bike will lean out even further.

My bike/PCIII was dyno tuned at 80Deg and 40% humidity... once it got cold (40's and 50's) the bike had noticeably lost a step.
I added 8% fuel across the Low, Mid and High RPM range and it is running like a champ again.... BUT, I have lost some more fuel economy as a result.

G

·

JUtah said:
I think it depends on the A/F ratio for your bike... From what I have seen on my bike, read, and heard, pretty much all of our bikes are a little on the lean side from the factory... especially if you do any intake and/or exhaust mods.

My bike/PCIII was dyno tuned at 80Deg and 40% humidity... once it got cold (40's and 50's) the bike had noticeably lost a step.
I added 8% fuel across the Low, Mid and High RPM range and it is running like a champ again.... BUT, I have lost some more fuel economy as a result.
Lean down low and rich up high, that is why the FI 2000 is not good.

TAZ

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

JUtah said:

When you say "noticeably lost a step", do you mean it hesitated? Could the 94 octane and cold weather have anything to do with it at all. It's really a bad hesitation.
I should also note, that I took off the old JSD3M (the one with the ground wire), and installed the new one, wtih no ground, and the idle fix. Could that also have anything to do with the hesitation. I'm at a loss on this one.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts

Canuk said:
When you say "noticeably lost a step", do you mean it hesitated? Could the 94 octane and cold weather have anything to do with it at all. It's really a bad hesitation.
I should also note, that I took off the old JSD3M (the one with the ground wire), and installed the new one, wtih no ground, and the idle fix. Could that also have anything to do with the hesitation. I'm at a loss on this one.
I wouldn't say my bike had a hesitation... when I say noticeably lost a step I am referring to the fact that it didn't break the tire loose as easily in first or second, Wouldn't pull the front wheel in first or second, both of which it would do during the summer...

Basically the bike was noticeably slower with noticeably less power. I dont think the JSD would cause what you are seeing... if suspect it then just pull it off and go for a spin.

Explain your hesitation a little more... Only when cold, only when starting from first?? etc...

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

As soon as this dam snow melts, I'll pull the JSD off and try.
It hesitates even after it warms up. It seems to do it in any gear. If it twist it to full throttle it bogs/hesitates before opening up.
I still think the 94 octane is the main culpret. I also thought I heard it try to run on a little when I went to shut it off the other day. Nothing too noticeable, but it was there.
I have to burn through the rest of this tank, then try it back at 91 octane. If the problem is still there, I'm going to pull the JSD, if it's still there. It's back to the dealer.

I just got the bike back from the dealer. They've had it for 3 months. ( repairs after an accident ). They did nothing to the engine, just parts so that shouldn't be it either.
:dontknow:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts

I know when my bike was lean, if I grabbed a handfull of quick throttle I could get it to cough through the air cleaner... BUT only from idle... it wouldn't do that if the revs were up.

Not sure if it were to be even leaner if it would cause what you are seeing?? :dontknow:

Keep us posted on how you do once that tank of fuel is burned up... :read:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Will do.
It snowed before I could really try anything. I'll figure it out. I still think it's the fuel. Aside from the JSD, that and the cold temperature are the only two things that have changed.
I will let you know. Thanks for the help.
:tools:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts

Canuk said:
Will do.
It snowed before I could really try anything. I'll figure it out. I still think it's the fuel. Aside from the JSD, that and the cold temperature are the only two things that have changed.
Hey you know since you had all that rain I wouldn't be surprised if water got in the tanks at the gas station as well you can put some gas line antifreeze for fuel injection in the tank and it will evaporate any water instantly. By the sounds of it, you symptoms remind me about water I had in my tank when I drove my old rabbit threw a blizzard, as soon as the gas line antifreeze went in, it was like magic good thing it worked or i would have been stranded in no mans land between Thunderbay and Winipeg. I'm sure you would only need 1/3 of one of those little bottles. Good luck man, looking forward to some warmer weather.

·
Registered
770 Posts

Last night I filled up for the last time it was about 45-50 degrees and at idle I revved it and it coughed though the air cleaner twice but would not do it again.This is not the first time its happened I do use 93 octane but can't figure out why this happens :dontknow:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts

My bike did the same... it was due to being lean.
Even after dyno tuning I could still get it to do it on rare occasion.

I have since added the "Accelerator Pump" update to my PCIII and set it to 75% sensitivity, 15% fuel, 40 RPMS and it hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts

Canuk said:
Will do.
well hows the problem coming along???

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I wished I had news for you, but it hasn't been out of the garage since it first snowed. Possibly sometime this weekend I can get out for a bit. It would have been nice if it rained and washed all the salt away first though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts