M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, when I left for work this afternoon, it was 71 degrees :) A cold front came blasting in about 5pm and the temperature dropped like a rock. I passed a bank on the way home tonight and the sign out front said it was 46 degrees :mad: It was drizzling, too :dontknow:

I can say that the jacket works very well in the cool, damp weather. I didn't have the insert in it and it still kept me nice and warm on the interstate. I had a little wind blowing up the sleeves but it wasn't bad. I'm going to take it to a leather shop and have them tailor the cuffs a little to make them more snug around the wrists.

For those of you not fortunate enough to get a free jacket, you won't be disappointed if you can buy one from another member here :doorag:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have to deal with cold weather just about everyday. I work the 3rd shift and ride to work everyday and it get like 48 to 50 degrees at night. So i have a good leather jacket and a good par a gloves and riding jeans. It gets cold on the expressway but it worth the ride.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Well, I guess I'm one of the few that aren't very happy with my jacket. It buffets my upper body like crazy in the wind and does not keep out the cold very well. I ride to work every morning, and on those days that the mercury dropped to upper 50s, I was getting cool about 20 miles in. Of course, YMMV. I may be selling mine when I get a better jacket. It looks cool, but unfortunately, I think that's all it does.

·
Registered
109 Posts
jyd here, took mine to a tailor and he took in the sleeves from the forearm pad to the wrist. believe my it took away all the wind and balooning of the jacket. spend the money it's worth it and besides that the jacket was free, spend the money and enjoy it. The JUNK YARD DOG :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
junk yard dog said:
jyd here, took mine to a tailor and he took in the sleeves from the forearm pad to the wrist. believe my it took away all the wind and balooning of the jacket. spend the money it's worth it and besides that the jacket was free, spend the money and enjoy it.  The JUNK YARD DOG :bigthumbsup:
Hey Junk Yard Dog. How much did you shorten the sleeves, and how much did it cost? I need mine shortened about an inch to inch and a half.

·
Registered
109 Posts
jazzman, i didn't have to shorten the sleeves just take them in from the forearm pad to the cuff. they charged my $50. jacket is great now. way i figure it now i got a good looking jacket for 50 bucks. The JUNK YARD DOG :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Well, I guess I'm one of the few that aren't very happy with my jacket. It buffets my upper body like crazy in the wind and does not keep out the cold very well. I ride to work every morning, and on those days that the mercury dropped to upper 50s, I was getting cool about 20 miles in. Of course, YMMV. I may be selling mine when I get a better jacket. It looks cool, but unfortunately, I think that's all it does.
It buffets my upper body like crazy in the wind ? :confused:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Ron S said:
It buffets my upper body like crazy in the wind ? :confused:
Yes. When I ride without the jacket, I can take the speedometer to well over 100MPH and feel stable on the bike. With the jacket on, I feel like my upper body is being tossed left to right at any speed near or above 70MPH. I would not even try to take the bike above 100 while wearing this jacket. And, yes, the jacket fits me except for the obvious problem areas like the cuffs and waste which are both too big. It does the same thing to my head, but that isn't what bothers me.... It's the feeling that I'm being tossed around on the bike. The only think I can compare it to is following a bit closely to a semi truck, right in the very turbulent air. This tosses me around no matter what I'm wearing, but is that much worse when wearing the jacket. Maybe I'm the only one that notices this or has this problem. Who knows. I just know that I'll probably be looking for a buyer when I get a nice textile jacket.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Medic1210 said:
Yes. When I ride without the jacket, I can take the speedometer to well over 100MPH and feel stable on the bike. With the jacket on, I feel like my upper body is being tossed left to right at any speed near or above 70MPH. I would not even try to take the bike above 100 while wearing this jacket. And, yes, the jacket fits me except for the obvious problem areas like the cuffs and waste which are both too big. It does the same thing to my head, but that isn't what bothers me.... It's the feeling that I'm being tossed around on the bike. The only think I can compare it to is following a bit closely to a semi truck, right in the very turbulent air. This tosses me around no matter what I'm wearing, but is that much worse when wearing the jacket. Maybe I'm the only one that notices this or has this problem. Who knows. I just know that I'll probably be looking for a buyer when I get a nice textile jacket.
I get some buffeting, too, with the leather jacket if I sit tall in the seat over 70mph or so. Definitely a different sensation than my mesh jacket. The leather acts like a sail unless you lean forward and get some of the wind off of it.

It's not even worth "free" if it's not what you want and makes you feel unstable while riding... or worse, keeps you from wearing a jacket when riding. I'm sure you won't have any trouble unloading it to someone here :doorag:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
JYD, thanks for the idea about the sleeves, hadn't even thought of that... wonder if there is even a good leather shop in Austin that does alteration work. I've not noticed any "buffetting" from my jacket, but then again, when I ride I'm typically leaned a bit forward as I need to adjust the bars a bit still. I don't really get any "ballooning" of the jacket because it fits me like a glove everywhere except the wrists and forearms. Having said that my goal for new years is about 50lbs lighter than I am now and since most of that will come off my belly I may start seeing some issues after the fact, but I'm guessing if they can take in the sleeves they can take in the waist as well 8) and having to have it taken in because of loosing 50lbs is something I really won't mind doing ... at all 8)

Ride Strong!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Maybe a pair of gloves with cuffs that go over the sleeves would work to keep the air out of the sleeves. Also...Medic...is your jacket maybe too big? and maybe that's causing the buffeting. When I got mine I thought it was a little tight but I'vw gotten used to it and it doesn't buffet at all. It is snug though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I had the same problem with buffeting.
Just dropped the jacket off to have the sleaves modified and the torso made smaller.
The tailor who makes his own MC jackets says the jacket needs to be relatively tight to not act as a sail.
The extra cost is worth it to me as I may have the only M109R jacket in Aust (so far)
Cheers

·
Registered
164 Posts
DaltonH said:
JYD, thanks for the idea about the sleeves, hadn't even thought of that... wonder if there is even a good leather shop in Austin that does alteration work. I've not noticed any "buffetting" from my jacket, but then again, when I ride I'm typically leaned a bit forward as I need to adjust the bars a bit still. I don't really get any "ballooning" of the jacket because it fits me like a glove everywhere except the wrists and forearms. Having said that my goal for new years is about 50lbs lighter than I am now and since most of that will come off my belly I may start seeing some issues after the fact, but I'm guessing if they can take in the sleeves they can take in the waist as well 8) and having to have it taken in because of loosing 50lbs is something I really won't mind doing ... at all 8)

Ride Strong!
Another Austin 109er? I've seen one around town (purple), is that you? I'm in Pflugerville.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hey BigE, I think he means Aust(ralia), not Aust(in, Texas). Once I get done travelling all over the country (November I think they said) I'll be happy to ride with you, if its not too cold by then :dontknow:

In the mean time check the Texas group boards towards the bottom of the message boards list. There's actually about 7 of us in Austin.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
DaltonH said:
Hey BigE, I think he means Aust(ralia), not Aust(in, Texas).
I'm pretty sure he was talking to you about the other Austin rider, not Aussie 109.

G

·
Trouble_Is said:
I get some buffeting, too, with the leather jacket if I sit tall in the seat over 70mph or so. Definitely a different sensation than my mesh jacket. The leather acts like a sail unless you lean forward and get some of the wind off of it.

It's not even worth "free" if it's not what you want and makes you feel unstable while riding... or worse, keeps you from wearing a jacket when riding. I'm sure you won't have any trouble unloading it to someone here :doorag:
how about some good quality deerskin (or whatever) gloves with a decent gauntlet? Safety plus cold air isn't shooting up your arms and turning you into a human parachute

·
Registered
164 Posts
DaltonH said:
Hey BigE, I think he means Aust(ralia), not Aust(in, Texas). Once I get done travelling all over the country (November I think they said) I'll be happy to ride with you, if its not too cold by then :dontknow:

In the mean time check the Texas group boards towards the bottom of the message boards list. There's actually about 7 of us in Austin.
Sounds good...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My bike is a Red 07 bro, just as an FYI.. and if you see it rolling around Austin it means someone busted into my garage and stole it 8)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts