M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm new to the board and to the 9. I have an 09 that I dropped when I hit some gravel on a curve about 2 weeks ago. I stood the bike up and tried to brake but ran out of road and hit a pot hole on shoulder of the road and down it went. The bike is only 4 months old :'( The damage wasn't too bad but my insurance company is going to pay for a new exhaust system plus gas tank and a few other bits. Well at $1600 to replace the OEM exhaust, I figured I could do much better than stock.

There are LOTS of threads about aftermarket exhaust but I searched and searched and can't find anyone on the board who has the Cobra Tri-Pro exhaust. I like the reviews I've read and the sound bites on YouTube but I'd feel better if someone on here has this system on their bike. I also like the Vance & Hines and Road Burner 2-into-1s.

Any/all info or advice would be appreciated. You guys know this bike VERY well!

Thanks!
John
:beer3:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,855 Posts
Two that I know of that have them are rynosback and cbxer55. Hopefully they will chime in.

You can find several threads if you search for "Cobra Tri Pro" and include the quotes around it. That way it will search for all the terms.

:welcome: to the forum, :congrats: on the bike, and sorry about the mishap. Hope you get it fixed soon!

·
Registered
249 Posts
The road burner 2 into 1 is a sweet sounding pipe,it has that deep throaty sound to it ,to me it's more balanced in tone then most pipes i have heard even owned. it's a tough choice to make....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Zoom. I forgot to try the quotes. That did the trick. I'll check out the threads!

The last step to getting the bike fixed is to pick the pipes. Decisions, decisions....:dontknow:

I noticed you have 2-into-1s on your bike. What kind do you have? They look like they might be V&H?

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wreck. But atleast you have some $$ to do some mods. :evil: I have them and really like them. I posted a Youtube clip and made a thread or two on hear as I was the first to get these pipes. What is it that you are trying to find out about them?

:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum also. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply Rynosback. I read your posts from earlier this year after zoom's tip.

the place where i'm having the bike fixed says these pipes need an f2000 (I think) air/fuel sysem and i want to put K&N filter kit in it. But, they don't have a dyno at their shop. When i asked him how they tune in the exhaust, air and fuel, he said something like "we've got a guy who's been doing this stuff for 30 years..."

So my questions are: 1. Do you like them? I'm looking for something louder than stock but not so much that my neighbors start shooting at me as I drive off to work in the morning. 2. did you do a powercomander or cobra air/fuel system on yours and if so, how did you "tune" it?

Thanks for the response and the welcomes!
John

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
Thanks for the reply Rynosback. I read your posts from earlier this year after zoom's tip.

the place where i'm having the bike fixed says these pipes need an f2000 (I think) air/fuel sysem and i want to put K&N filter kit in it. But, they don't have a dyno at their shop. When i asked him how they tune in the exhaust, air and fuel, he said something like "we've got a guy who's been doing this stuff for 30 years..."

So my questions are: 1. Do you like them? YES I'm looking for something louder than stock but not so much that my neighbors start shooting at me as I drive off to work in the morning. That is one of the reasons that I really like them, a little louder but not crazy at all. You will get a fairly loud Jbrake sound when you shut the throttle down hard at high rpm's. 2. did you do a powercomander or cobra air/fuel system on yours and if so, how did you "tune" it? I have a FI2000R I think my settings are at 242. I have the K&N's and the GI-Pro also. But start off at that setting and and play with one pot at a time to figure out what works best for you and your feel of the bike.

Thanks for the response and the welcomes!
John
Answered in red above.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Answered in red above.

Thanks man. That's exactly what I hoping for. I think this is the direction I'm going to take. I like the looks the most too of all the 2-into-1 systems.

Appreciate you sharing your experiences! :bow::bow:

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
Answered in red above.

Thanks man. That's exactly what I hoping for. I think this is the direction I'm going to take. I like the looks the most too of all the 2-into-1 systems.

Appreciate you sharing your experiences! :bow::bow:
I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Sorry for the late response, I work nights and just got home.

Yes I have the Tri-Pro and its GREAT! Bitchin looks and bitchin sound, and it will not piss off your neighbors. I use the TFI Fuel Injection Module for the fuel issue, and it perform flawlessly as well. The install is a piece-of-pie, and the instructions are A!.

I would just eliminate the SET actuator and pull the wire out of the ECU to keep the FI light off. Once you change the exhaust, there will be a big hole in the frame under the chrome hump on the right side. I recommend this piece very highly. Also very easy to install and looks killer with the pipe.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
You will get a fairly loud Jbrake sound when you shut the throttle down hard at high rpm's.
That sound (noise) is pretty bad/obnoxious.
Sounds like absolute crap actually, lets the pipe down big time.
When I first fitted the pipe, I thought it might stop making that noise as it built up inside with carbon.... but no.

The J-brake sound is that bad, I find myself pulling the clutch in as I decelerate to try and avoid generating the noise.

Compared to Vance and Hines Bigshots (which I compared side by side), these 2 into 1's have no note to them whatsoever, just a hollow tinny noise. (I'll post a video when I can)

As others have said, it sounds ok at cruising speeds and when on the gas but back the throttle off from above 3000RPM and it sounds like a Mack truck doing a hill decent.

Personally I'm not happy with them, I'm still amazed Cobra released it thinking the consumer would find the noise acceptable. I certainly don't.

I can't see mine hanging around much longer, which is a real shame as these are the best looking pipes available for the 9 in my opinion.

Hope I haven't caused any offence, just being 100% honest.

Peace out.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Does'nt bother me a bit. A friend who is looking for a pipe follwed me the other day, and was impressed with the sound. When he gets the funds he is ordering a Tri-Pro.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does'nt bother me a bit. A friend who is looking for a pipe follwed me the other day, and was impressed with the sound. When he gets the funds he is ordering a Tri-Pro.
Hey CBXER55, that's cool with me.
Different strokes for different folks as they say.
Can you have a listen to the vid and tell me if there is something wrong with my pipes? :dontknow:
Or if this is the noise that doesn't bother you? :eek:

Here's the sound clip for you all to make up your own minds.

I asked my buddy to start and rev 2 x 109's (mine and shop demo with Vance and Hines fitted) side by side.

Cheers

·
Registered
534 Posts
First off, I have the V&H Big Shots and I love them. The look is good, not great or fantastic, but good. The sound is where they shine....in my opinion. Performance wise, I do not have the data to say one is better than the other.
The Cobras look fu:edit:g bad azz awesome. That flat black version just looks like it belongs on the 9. Sound does sound poor on decel only it seems(from the video).
In the end, it would be what you can live with...it's a hard choice for sure.
To Cobra, or anyone with the ear of a Cobra rep, if these Tri Cobras were re-vamped to focus on a more throaty decel note, I think you would double or triple your sales. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a set to replace my current V&H's.

·
xxx
210 Posts
Sorry for the late response, I work nights and just got home.

Yes I have the Tri-Pro and its GREAT! Bitchin looks and bitchin sound, and it will not piss off your neighbors. I use the TFI Fuel Injection Module for the fuel issue, and it perform flawlessly as well. The install is a piece-of-pie, and the instructions are A!.

I would just eliminate the SET actuator and pull the wire out of the ECU to keep the FI light off. Once you change the exhaust, there will be a big hole in the frame under the chrome hump on the right side. I recommend this piece very highly. Also very easy to install and looks killer with the pipe.:bigthumbsup:
Mine were just installed yesterday. It was an insurance replacement. Since the stock pipes in Canada are over $3000.00, the insurance company was happy to buy me the Cobras and a Power Commander.

My dealer tried for 30 minutes to install the Gregg's Engine Cover but couldn't do it. Seems that the large bracket for the pipes in that area is in the way. CBXER, did you have to bend it a bit or do any other modification?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,855 Posts
Mine were just installed yesterday. It was an insurance replacement. Since the stock pipes in Canada are over $3000.00, the insurance company was happy to buy me the Cobras and a Power Commander.

My dealer tried for 30 minutes to install the Gregg's Engine Cover but couldn't do it. Seems that the large bracket for the pipes in that area is in the way. CBXER, did you have to bend it a bit or do any other modification?
Is the large bracket the part where the SET actuator is mounted to? If so, just pull the wire on the ECU and remove the actuator. Then you can cut the front of the bracket off if needed. You may need to shorten the upper spacer on Gregg's cover, the one that goes between the cover and the frame, to move the cover back a little to clear the pipe. I had to do that on my most recent set.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts

Sorry, work again, ya know! I do not have the SET installed, but did not have to cut the exhaust mounting bracket to install Gregg's cover. It fits between the bracket and the engine. It appears to me it would fit even with the SET installed, so the problem must be with the installer.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts