M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, very new to this so please bear with me.
I have bought a 2010 LM M108r and could not be more pleased with the bike in a broad sense. The first to second gear problem I hate but I will grin and bare that after all the comments that have been posted about it. I have noticed that it seems to surge slightly at low revs in all the gears, I have taken the bike back and they have done the throttle body and all adjustments but it is still there, anyone have any thoughts on the cause or cure?
Also am waiting for the arrival from the states, of a set of Cobra Tri-Pro 2 into 1 pipes and was wondering is there anything I should be looking out for when fitting them, anything to connect or disconnect, that sort of thing. Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated. Will post pictures and sound of the bike when they are fitted, thanks. Stay upright. Sprag

G

·
I have bought a 2010 LM M108r and could not be more pleased with the bike in a broad sense. The first to second gear problem I hate but I will grin and bare that after all the comments that have been posted about it. I have noticed that it seems to surge slightly at low revs in all the gears, I have taken the bike back and they have done the throttle body and all adjustments but it is still there, anyone have any thoughts on the cause or cure?
Also am waiting for the arrival from the states, of a set of Cobra Tri-Pro 2 into 1 pipes and was wondering is there anything I should be looking out for when fitting them, anything to connect or disconnect, that sort of thing. Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated. Will post pictures and sound of the bike when they are fitted, thanks. Stay upright. Sprag
TRE will fix the surging. www.trackdayelectronics.com is the most cost effective solution, but you being out of the country, maybe where you are a guy guy might one in stock. Not know where you are......no idea on shipping, but at $32 US, it might still work cheaply in a padded envelope or small box.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
The #1 thing to remember is to watch and not strip the SET valve actuator. The pipes should come with a replacement cam that goes on the actuator and instructions on how to do it. Cobra warns several times in the instructions about holding the cam firmly when removing the stock one and replacing it with the new one. Hold it with a big pair of vice grips, channelock pliers, or something similar while removing and replacing the bolt that holds it on.

If you turn it you will most likely strip the plastic gears inside, then you get an FI light. If that does happen don't panic, there's a good how-to on pulling a wire off the ECM to disable the light. Lots of us do that anyway and just remove the SET actuator completely.

:welcome: & :congrats: too!

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
The pipes come with excellent instructions, including pictures. I did mine all by myself and it was absoultely no problem. Should not be for you either. One thing to be sure you have is a LONG allen wrench to take off the bolts that hold the head pipes to the cylinders. No regular allen wrench is going to cut it here. Visit a local tool supply house and pick up a set of long metric allen wrenchs (6" at least), and you'll be set.:bigthumbsup:

Even though these come with the cam for the SET actuator, I would just omit putting it on, and just pull the wire out of the ECU that controls the thing. Much cleaner looking installation that way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TRE will fix the surging. www.trackdayelectronics.com is the most cost effective solution, but you being out of the country, maybe where you are a guy guy might one in stock. Not know where you are......no idea on shipping, but at $32 US, it might still work cheaply in a padded envelope or small box.
Thanks for that, I'll be looking into it. I'm in Queensland, Australia by the way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The #1 thing to remember is to watch and not strip the SET valve actuator. The pipes should come with a replacement cam that goes on the actuator and instructions on how to do it. Cobra warns several times in the instructions about holding the cam firmly when removing the stock one and replacing it with the new one. Hold it with a big pair of vice grips, channelock pliers, or something similar while removing and replacing the bolt that holds it on.

If you turn it you will most likely strip the plastic gears inside, then you get an FI light. If that does happen don't panic, there's a good how-to on pulling a wire off the ECM to disable the light. Lots of us do that anyway and just remove the SET actuator completely.

:welcome: & :congrats: too!
Thanks for the input, the more help I can get the easier the job will be for me to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pipes come with excellent instructions, including pictures. I did mine all by myself and it was absoultely no problem. Should not be for you either. One thing to be sure you have is a LONG allen wrench to take off the bolts that hold the head pipes to the cylinders. No regular allen wrench is going to cut it here. Visit a local tool supply house and pick up a set of long metric allen wrenchs (6" at least), and you'll be set.:bigthumbsup:

Even though these come with the cam for the SET actuator, I would just omit putting it on, and just pull the wire out of the ECU that controls the thing. Much cleaner looking installation that way.
Will let you know how things go, should not be any problems as most of the blokes I work with ride and are blown away by the m109r. Everyone has had ideas on what to do but after I found this site it is better to ask someone that has done it for good info. Have you found any big difference in the level of noise of the exhaust? Someone has suggested some sort of cover for the swingarm to make it neater as the bike is black and so are the rims, the pipes I ordered are also black and I think something to break it up a little would make it look better. Maybe billet but do not want something that is going to fall off on the first corner. Thanks again.
(I'm in Australia by the way)8)

·
Registered
79 Posts
:welcome: and :congrats: on the LE . I'm waiting to get mine as an Xmas gift. Looking to import stuff from the USA aswell and found this forum the best. The guys on here are very informative and will always help a fellow 9r when he/she is in need. Enjoy the ride. Toro9

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Will let you know how things go, should not be any problems as most of the blokes I work with ride and are blown away by the m109r. Everyone has had ideas on what to do but after I found this site it is better to ask someone that has done it for good info. Have you found any big difference in the level of noise of the exhaust? Someone has suggested some sort of cover for the swingarm to make it neater as the bike is black and so are the rims, the pipes I ordered are also black and I think something to break it up a little would make it look better. Maybe billet but do not want something that is going to fall off on the first corner. Thanks again.
Here ya go, this one is from DLP (site sponsor). But just to let you know there have been issues with parts being backordered. But if you call they should let you know if it is in stock and when it will ship.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=9079&str=290

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Have you found any big difference in the level of noise of the exhaust? Someone has suggested some sort of cover for the swingarm to make it neater as the bike is black and so are the rims, the pipes I ordered are also black and I think something to break it up a little would make it look better. Maybe billet but do not want something that is going to fall off on the first corner. Thanks again.
The noise level is perfect for an after-market exhaust, slightly louder than stock, but definitely throatier. At highway cruising speed it sounds near stock, so it will not wear on you after hours of droning down the highway. Got a nice tone and noise level on acceleration. Some kind of burbling in between shifts and decelerating, but still sounds good.

A friend rode behind me the other day (on his 109), and he told me it is not offending at all, just a real nice sounding pipe. Hes considering one himself now, since he thinks its a cool looking pipe as well.

If your bike is black, I'd just leave the swingarm black. Mine is silver and I've not done anything to the arm yet. However, you will need one of these to cover the ugly hole on the bike left by removal of the stock exhaust. This is a well made quality part that really enhances the look of the new pipe. Only problem is now you got to keep the back of the pipe as clean as the front due to the reflection.

BTW, I have ordered from DLP many times, never had an issue. Got everything I ordered in a timely manner., so label me a SATISFIED CUSTOMER OF DLP.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum. :bigthumbsup:

I am liking by Tri-Pro pipes also. Not to loud but a little more then the stock pipes. Pull the ECM wire and don't even bother transfering over the SET.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sprag calling

Hey Toro9, that photo on the left of the page that you sent looks very much like my bike with tri-pros on it. I hope so as it is very cool looking. Fedx turned up to-day and I was not at home but will have the new set of pipes tomorrow when they do there second run to my place. going to be a long night shift tonight. Stay upright, Sprag:dontknow:
:welcome: and :congrats: on the LE . I'm waiting to get mine as an Xmas gift. Looking to import stuff from the USA aswell and found this forum the best. The guys on here are very informative and will always help a fellow 9r when he/she is in need. Enjoy the ride. Toro9

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Toro9, that photo on the left of the page that you sent looks very much like my bike with tri-pros on it. I hope so as it is very cool looking. Fedx turned up to-day and I was not at home but will have the new set of pipes tomorrow when they do there second run to my place. going to be a long night shift tonight. Stay upright, Sprag:dontknow:
That's the one I've ordered for del to my driveway just in time for Xmas .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts