M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, just bought myself, finally, the new Cobra Swepts.
To remove the baffles, is it easier to remove them when the pipes are installed on the bike or should I do it before I install them?

And if I don't want the baffles out because I find them to noisy, do I have to remove the pipes from the bike again and re-install the baffles?

Hope this makes sense. Can't wait to get them from DLP.

Thanks for your help.
Paul

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I took mine out before install. It was much easier to knock them out while the pipes are off the bike and not connected to the head pipes. Take out the set screws, then knock them out. Mine are still out, I like the sound. You should be able to re-install them w/ o removal.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Have you ever heard the swept pipes with the baffles in , its still plenty loud and it seems to have more power, of course thats just my opnion.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Big-B is right. Take them out b4. I took mine out while on the bike, and it was alot harder to knock them out. The one thing I did notice is a loss in power. Not much but I could tell. They are loud without them though. You should try them 1st see if you like them in.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Baffles in

I run mine with the baffles in and love the sound... They are nowhere near quiet! (ask my wife). She hears me all the way outta the subdivision. Try 'em with them in first. Not a big deal to debaffle with them installed, anyway.:congrats: on the new pipes!!!

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
LOL I guess I'm the only one living on the edge w/ these thing. Never had mine in, so I have no idea how they sound. But I like the sound w/ them out I can tell you that.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
LOL I guess I'm the only one living on the edge w/ these thing. Never had mine in, so I have no idea how they sound. But I like the sound w/ them out I can tell you that.
Trust me they are loud, not as hard sounding with them out, but its all personal pref. i just thought i was loosing power.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Nope, your not the only one. I pulled mine out as soon as I got it out of the box. Installed it and never bother by how it sound with it. I called Cobra though and was told that it doesn't change the performance of the bike. it just quiet it down a tad...Just like the bike itself, so I was told, it makes the bike more distinguishable from other bikes with loud pipes...

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Nope, your not the only one. I pulled mine out as soon as I got it out of the box. Installed it and never bother by how it sound with it. I called Cobra though and was told that it doesn't change the performance of the bike. it just quiet it down a tad...Just like the bike itself, so I was told, it makes the bike more distinguishable from other bikes with loud pipes...
I love the sound! When I first fired it up after the install, I think I got a woody!!! :clap2:I didn't expect it to be so loud, but was everything I hoped for:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
434 Posts
COBRAS

Yeah, I left mine in also. I had read about the decrease in power and deciced not to do the knock out and just keep them in. They do sound plenty deep with the baffels. 8)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was actually pissed off the first time I heard my swepts. I was thinking I spent money to get this??? so I took baffles out. Didn't like that either, so I did my own mods like I showed you , now I love em

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I've heard people say they sound "tinny" with the baffles out. I don't know personally as I've never heard them without the baffles. Mine have the baffles in and they sound deep and throaty, and they bark plenty loud (sometimes I think too loud) when you get on it. I would recommend trying them with the baffles in first. You can always take them out if you want it louder, but you'd probably have a hellova time getting them back in once removed...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
How hard are they to install on the 9? I know which end of a screwdriver to use but definately not a mechanic.

Where's teh best proce on them?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
How hard are they to install on the 9? I know which end of a screwdriver to use but definately not a mechanic.

Where's teh best proce on them?
I got mine at DLP, don't know if they have the BEST price, but they are very competitive. They are not difficult at all to install. Make sure you read the directions carefully, and print out the step by step instructions from the thread in the "How To" section in this site. There are some very helpful color pics in that thread that aren't included in Cobra's instructions. Allow yourself at least 3 hours to accomplish the project so you're not trying to rush through. Take your time and you'll be fine. One last word of advice; be careful when you go to remove the exhaust header bolts from the heads. The constant heating and cooling of the metal can cause them to be difficult to remove. You don't want to strip out the heads of those bolts when trying to remove them. If you do, you will have a real problem on your hands! Before you re-install these bolts, be sure to apply some anti-seize grease to the threads. This will make them easier to remove if you ever have to remove them again.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
On my second set of swepts after a lay down last summer.The baffles were in on the first set i loved the sound on decell and they are more then loud enough.The second set i didn't use the baffles and yes they are loud.Still not sure if i like them out.But the wife likes them out so they stay out.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
I like the Cobra Swept. I ride with several guys with sideburners. Their bikes are bit too loud for my taste. My cobra, with baffles, strikes a good balance between the sideburner and the stock pipes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts