Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MY baffles are OUT but not as loud as I would like

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to come to a final decision regarding an aftermarket exhaust :read: Currently I'm leaning towards the Cobra Dragsters. I've read much of the postings on the site but their does not seem to be a genuine consensus, and I'm hoping that this survey and any feedback will assist me in my final decision. I spoke to Cobra today, and when I inquired about pulling the baffles out the guy I spoke to (Mike) told me that the pipes sound great with the baffles in. I like LOUD.....WINDOW VIBRATING....HAIR RAISING....LOUD :bigthumbsup:

The only concern I had about Cobra pipes where their tendency to sometimes discolor, but when visiting their web site, they now offer a lifetime warranty on their pipes that includes discoloring. So, that concern has been eliminated.

Besides posting your vote, any commentary you can offer about the Cobra exhaust, or any other current aftermarket pipes available, would really be appreciated.

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!

Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
the heat guards are around the pipes and you would not see them discolor anyway .

·
Registered
898 Posts
My cobra dragsters are loud without baffles :eek: Loud is not bad until you wanna be quiet then you realize just how loud they are :redfaced:

khrome

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I used to sell exhausts for a living, and have literally sold thousands of sets. I can tell you from experience that Cobra pretty much is at the bottom of the pile as far as quality goes. Vance & Hines is at the top of that pile. Right now we have one choice for pipes for our bike, Cobra. I think I'll wait a little longer and see what else becomes available before I buy the only thing on the market. My 2 cents. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I completely disagree. I've used every aftermarket brand including, V&H, Cobra, HK. My best experiences have always been with Cobra. They have always taken care of me and the quality has been great.

Not to mention that they are now they only manufacturer in the business that's willing to stand behind their product with a Lifetime warranty.

Just my thoughts. I have the dragsters and love em'.

G

·
I have the Cobra longs. I love them!! I removed the baffles, and sounds great! Cool thing is, when your light on the throttle it kinda just chugs.....but when you stomp it!!-all HELL breaks loose!! My buddy has a Fat boy with straight pipes and my bike is way louder than his and he agrees!! Get a set....you wont be sorry!!-HELL :evil:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
hellrazr72 said:
My buddy has a Fat boy with straight pipes and my bike is way louder than his and he agrees!! Get a set....you wont be sorry!!-HELL :evil:
You see, I like a good sounding set of pipes as much as the next guy, but when all you are trying to do is be the loudest, most obnoxious guy in town then it just hurts us all. 90% of the motorcycling community thinks us "loud pipes" guys are just a bunch of immature morons screaming for attention. "Look at me, look at me". Check out this article, it was a real eye opener for me and helped me to see myself in the eyes of others.
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcrau/06_Shame/index.motml
(make sure to click on "Reader Comments" at the end of the article)
Sure I'll likely still get an aftermarket set of pipes for my bike, but I won't be getting the loudest, most obnoxious set available. I want something that will sound good but won't piss off the neighbors and everyone else on the road I ride along side. (This should generate about 1000 replies!) ::)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Maybe I am a bit exotic with my opinion, but seriously, I like the custom pipes best that come with my M1800R (M109R for you guys in the US).
The sound is wonderful, not too loud but loud enough to be heard, grumpy and powerful.
All the pipe mods I have seen look inferior to the original, straight or curled, hacked off or rotating gatling guns...LOL!

As far as I could read, the Suzuki engineers did quite a lot of sound design and fine tuning on the exhaust pipes.
No need for me to change anything there.

Besides those "swinging pipes" are what makes most of the smooth design hallmarks of the M109.

G

·
LOL!! LMFAO here!! I choose to have loud pipes to let people know I'm near them...whether its a deer in a ditch waiting to jump in front of me or a person on their cell phone not paying attention!! NOT because i want to look cool or say LOOK AT ME!! You totally just stereo typed all bikers that have "LOUD" pipes!!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
hellrazr72 said:
LOL!! LMFAO here!! I choose to have loud pipes to let people know I'm near them...whether its a deer in a ditch waiting to jump in front of me or a person on their cell phone not paying attention!! NOT because i want to look cool or say LOOK AT ME!! You totally just stereo typed all bikers that have "LOUD" pipes!! For that sir....you are the MORON!!
You obviously didn't read the article or the responses from the members of motorcycle.com. I guess it's easier to just stick your head in the sand and ignore what everyone else thinks of us. For that sir, YOU are the moron. ::)
I've had 8 cruisers over the past 7 years and just about all of them have had aftermarket pipes. The point is that the loudest set of pipes is not necessarily the best. And the last time I checked, my pipes faced to the rear of me, not to the front, so your expnation of people in front of you hearing you coming doesn't fly. How many times have you been driving on the freeway when a biker passes you and you never even heard him until he was already right along side of you. But hey, nice try! :p
And as far as me being a moron is concerned, you didn't say that when I explained to you about turn signals and load balancers via PM's, did you? ::)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
J R said:
Hey Cherry why don't you share with us a little of your insider exhaust knowledge and tell us why one pipes better than the other and what size primary tube you recommend as well as collector design stepped or non stepped how long of primary tube how big or long should the collector be for the 109 and other exhaust dynamics as well as pulse back pressure info ect also well as what baffle design you suggest and why.What pipe would give me the most power ? Why ? How ?What would be a good pressure to have inside the pipe on a gauge for max performance ? Why is Cobra junk and Vance and Hines the best whats the difference ? for the 109 ? Please let me know as I'm just new and trying to learn.Thanks in advance for your help
Rather than be a smart a$$ why don't you read the article? I guess that's too much to ask, eh? ::)
I know more about pipes than you might care to believe, in fact I used to sell as many pipes as Hal did/does and my thousands of customers always asked ME for advice on what to buy, so don't treat me like an ignorant fool. The loudest pipes on the market are drag pipes, and no they don't give you the most horsepower because they usually don't give you the proper amount of back pressure, especially when the owner removes the baffles to make them even louder. Sure they are good for drag racing, that's why they are called drag pipes, but how often do we really ride around at full throttle, all the while sacrificing low end torque? Like I said, I like loud pipes too, it's just that all too many of us get carried away with having to have the loudest pipes on the road, and that in the end will insure that NONE of us will be able to put anything but stock pipes on our bikes in the future. Do you want that? Peace man.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't have subscription, BlackCherry, so I couldn't read the article. I do agree with the jist of your post, though. Super-loud pipes have their place... on a dragstrip. I live about 15 miles from Bandimere Speedway. During the Mile-High Nationals we can hear the cars from here if we step outside. It sounds kinda cool, reverberating off the hill behind the speedway. By the time the sound gets here, it's like a short, muffled burst of thunder. But when I'm sitting in my recliner watching t.v. and I can't hear it because the neighbor just fired up his bike and likes to test the throttle 15 or 20 times (for what, I have no idea ::) ), it makes me want to go shove a couple shovel handles in his exhaust and my foot up his @ss. One guy in my condo complex is about to get his tit in a ringer with the :cop: because he can't seem to wrap his head around the fact that no one else wants to hear his bike for 10 minutes before he decides to finally leave.

It's the same in my truck. It stays pretty nice around here in the summer and a lot of folks like to drive with their windows down. I shouldn't have to drive with my knee while I plug my ears when a bike goes by. I like the sound of a well-tuned engine with a modified exhaust as much as the next guy, but if it's gonna rattle my brain and elicit a response akin to someone coming up and slapping me for no reason, then it's out of hand.

Let the hating and "loud pipes save lives" begin :confused:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
jcopley said:
Uh... blackcherry? It would be nice if the linked article you want folks to read didn't require a subscription...

J
Umm, oops! :redfaced:

Anyway, I'll copy and paste it here, but don't anyone tell them I did it, OK? :p

The Shame Among Us

By Fred Rau, June, 2006
Photos by Fonzie

One day a couple of years ago, my wife and I took a ride down the Pacific coast and stopped in for lunch at a great little seaside restaurant near San Clemente. It was a beautiful spring day, and the restaurant had rolled up the plastic awnings around the outside dining area, so that diners could see and hear the surf rolling in, just a couple of hundred feet away. The restaurant was perched on a small spit of solid ground, with the beach in front of it, just across the Pacific Coast Highway, and a marsh behind it that is a wild bird game preserve. Dozens of people were strolling the paths through the preserve, watching and photographing the herons and other seabirds gathered there, and several artists had easels set up along the perimeter, painting the peaceful scene. All in all, it was about as perfect a setting for a casual lunch as you could imagine, and the little restaurant was packed with families and other couples like ourselves.

To aid traffic pulling in and out of the beach access road and the game preserve, the highway department had placed a stoplight right in front of the restaurant, about 50 feet from where we were dining. About halfway through our lunch, five motorcycles pulled up to this light. Like most motorcyclists, I immediately identified the machines in my mind: One Harley Fat Boy, one Harley Softail, two Kawasaki Vulcans, a Yamaha Road Star and a Honda VTX. Each and every one of them with aftermarket pipes--though the ones on the Softail looked almost homemade.

As they sat at the light, for an almost interminable 30 or 40 seconds, they took turns blipping their throttles. The noise was so bad that all conversation in the restaurant ceased, because no one could be heard above the racket. A waitress impatiently tapped her pencil on her order pad and shrugged apologetically to the family whose order she was trying to take.

The light turned green, and all five bikes took off at full throttle. The ear-splitting roar was so bad that glasses and silverware on the tables rattled and shook. Two little children at the table next to us, and their mother, covered their ears and made faces. A small baby in a stroller next to another table awakened screaming, terrified by the racket. I caught a flash of movement out of the corner of my eye, and turned to see flocks of seabirds rising from their "protected" marsh, trying to escape the offensive cacophony. At the same time, I noticed one of the artists disgustedly picking up his canvas from the dirt, where it had fallen when his startled hand rammed a delicate paintbrush into it.

One quick glance around told me that virtually everyone in the restaurant, strolling through the game preserve, or suntanning on the beach, was now staring at the backs of the five receding motorcyclists. If looks could have killed, the offenders and their bikes would have been vaporized instantly.

For the next few minutes, I couldn't help but overhear the conversations at several tables around us. Actually, I think the diners were purposely speaking sotto voce, hoping my wife and I would hear--because of the two motorcycle helmets perched prominently on the end of our table: "Oughta outlaw the damned things..." "You know they're all just gangsters and drug dealers anyway..." "...glad I bought a big SUV--next time one of those things pulls up alongside me, I'm gonna let my hand slip on the steering wheel and knock him on his ass!"

For the first time in my life, I was actually ashamed to be a motorcycle rider--something I had once told myself could never happen.

For many years, one of my favorite haunts during Bike Week in Florida has been Flagler Beach, about 20 miles up the coast from Daytona. Unfortunately, for the past few years Flagler has also become increasingly popular with the straight-pipe crowd. As the Daytona event has grown, the incursion into once-peaceful Flagler has become greater each year. So I guess it shouldn't come as any surprise that the residents of Flagler Beach have decided that they've had just about enough. Recently, two local papers in Flagler County carried stories about the rising tide of sentiment among locals to rid themselves of the scourge of Daytona. Only this time, it's not stopping with just talk. When the issue was brought up at the next meeting of the County Board of Commissioners, it was proposed that the Board have the County Administrator and the County Attorney develop anti-Bike Week policies and laws for the Board's approval. The motion carried by a unanimous vote. In an official statement, the Board said, "The commission needs to work on a specific plan for the kind of tourism that Flagler does NOT want to attract." And if you think the loss of the biker revenue is going to affect their final decision, take into account this interview with Sharon O'Brien, owner of a bed-and-breakfast in Flagler, and a member of the City Commission of Flagler Beach: "Bike Week is great for businesses in Flagler Beach, I'll give them that, because I own one of those businesses. The problem I have with Bike Week is the noise. I see no reason those bikes have to be so loud, so invasive. I have other clients who have bikes that are quiet, and I just don't understand the need for all that noise."

If you think these are nothing more than isolated incidents, you've had your head buried in the sand for the past five years or so. I realize fully that this editorial is going to make me more than a few enemies, but I also believe we've gone beyond the point where any of us can afford to sit on the fence any longer and refuse to take a stand on this issue.

Hey, I like a motorcycle that makes a bit more noise than normal. But I've also experimented with a decibel meter, and know for a fact that you can make a bike sound really good without going beyond the legal, allowable limits. There is absolutely no defensible excuse for making your bike so loud that it's painfully annoying to everyone in the general vicinity. And don't even think about giving me that lame, "Loud pipes save lives" baloney, because we all know it's a load of crap. If anybody really believed that, he'd have his horn button duct-taped down. About eight times more bike accidents come from cagers turning in front of you than from ones running you down from behind.

In addition, I want to make it perfectly clear that this isn't a "rights" issue, either. No one has the right to make so much noise in public that it disturbs the peace of everyone around them. If you did, then I could just as well come over to your house at three o'clock in the morning and set off a string of M-80 firecrackers on your front walk anytime I felt like it.

If we don't solve this problem ourselves, and soon, the rest of society is going to do it for us, through the force of law. And do I really need to tell you how that will turn out?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
JR,

Salesman? I was president and co-founder of the company that is Hals biggest competitor, and I told Hal I wouldn't promote it here on his forum out of respect for his investment here.

Anyway, I'm not preaching, but I thought everyone was entitled to post their opinions here. I guess not, especially if it doesn't agree with yours or Lamonts. ::)

Whatever, you guys can go on thumping your chests and acting all bad ass if you want, but I think we NEED to care what other people think, or they'll make our lives hell. Something to think about.
Peace man.

·
Registered
118 Posts
While I really hate to step in the middle of this debate, I have to say it's not a matter of caring what people do or don't think about you, your bike, your lifestyle, your gay lover... whatever  ::)

It's a matter of consideration for your neighbor, the guy standing next to you or - hell - even your community.  I've had neighbors with no consideration for others - and it had nothing to do with their disposition towards other folks opinions - they were just simply rude and obnoxious without consideration for anyone but themselve.  Great attitude  ::)

J

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wow! Can I get tickets to the rematch :joke: I have ordered the cobra dragsters from Directline...unfortunately I have been informed that they are on backorder until OCTOBER :verymad:.....I think the pipes look great on the bike and someone posted a sound clip and they sounded even better.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Right on, I'm glad we are coming to some sort of an agreement here. But I have to disagree about one thing, Fred Rau is definitely NOT a moron. He happens to be one of the most respected MC Journalists in the country, and yeah though he may sometimes be FOS, he makes some valid points and a lot of people take his opinion very seriously. I used to think more like you until I read his article and read the hundreds of responses FROM BIKERS that basically sounded like a bunch of cagers. I was shocked to say the least to see myself from someone elses POV, least of all other bikers. If other bikers hate us cruiser guys as much as the cagers do, then we're in serious trouble of losing what little leeway we already got vis-a-vis loud pipes. Sure they are already illegal according to most sound ordinance laws, but it is not currently enforced. If too many people feel the way Fred says they do, then our days of being able to put whatever pipes we want on our bikes are numbered because pressure will be put on law enforcement to enforce the existing laws more strictly, and I don't want that any more than you do.
And yes, I'll agree that Cobra is getting better in recent years with their quality, but I've had too many pissed off/unhappy customers with Cobra pipes compared to other brands, not to mention their crappy quality chrome bolt on products that I've had to take returns on because the chrome started peeling off before it even was removed from the package. ::)
Nope, not a big Cobra fan. If you want quality chrome parts for your bike look to KuryAkyn. Unfortunately they don't make pipes. 8)
Peace man.

G

·
BLKCherry.....i was just bustin your b#lls!! As it said in the begining of my post , I was laughing!! Sorry if I offended you!! I did read the article and it still didnt change my mind about running loud pipes!! And I did appreciate the info you gave me about the LED's.....like I said I was just breakin your b#lls!!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
hellrazr72 said:
BLKCherry.....i was just bustin your b#lls!! As it said in the begining of my post , I was laughing!! Sorry if I offended you!! I did read the article and it still didnt change my mind about running loud pipes!! And I did appreciate the info you gave me about the LED's.....like I said I was just breakin your b#lls!!
Ouch, for some reason my ba11s hurt! :p

Peace man, like I said, I like loud pipes too, but we gotta try not to get TOO carried away with it! ;) :doorag:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts