M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Cobra's put on at the dealers while they were fixing some other stuff, they sound great. However, it seems like the power, especially the low end torque is....well, lacking. The bike is still powerful, the pipes have definately smoothed out the power band, but it seems like it sacraficed a lot of torque and HP to do it. Am I just imagining things from not riding for a month? What can I do to fix this? The Big Air kit with K&N's would be a good start, that with a pc3 should help. Am I on the right track here to pick that torque and power back up? I'm starting to miss it a little. I plan on buying each of those over the remainder of the year so it'll be ready to ride with them in the spring.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The bike doesn't seem to be running lean at all, no popping on decel, no flooding out at high throttle. Of course I'm no expert at this so it could be off just enough to affect the bike and me not realize what the problem is. I want a PC3 but I'm gonna have to wait a month or so and get caught up on some other stuff first, gotta love this bills.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Could be less power. You bike is probably running a little leaner now. Look at the Cobra FI2000 or something like that. :doorag:

G

·
endorphine44 said:
I got my Cobra's put on at the dealers while they were fixing some other stuff, they sound great. However, it seems like the power, especially the low end torque is....well, lacking. The bike is still powerful, the pipes have definately smoothed out the power band, but it seems like it sacraficed a lot of torque and HP to do it. Am I just imagining things from not riding for a month? What can I do to fix this? The Big Air kit with K&N's would be a good start, that with a pc3 should help. Am I on the right track here to pick that torque and power back up? I'm starting to miss it a little. I plan on buying each of those over the remainder of the year so it'll be ready to ride with them in the spring.
I love my SET on my stock pipes. Wanna race?

·
Registered
166 Posts
When you replace the stock pipes and remove the SET (which increases low end torque) your going to lose some low end torque atleast until an aftermarket pipe manufacturer comes up with an alternative!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
others have said it felt like lost hp. lamont did a test when they 1st came out, and i think it matched stock hp. an air kit might not help, but a power commander might wake the package up. :bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:

·
Registered
572 Posts
I know that on cages, if you have too LITTLE back pressure in an exhaust system, you can hurt your performance... does this same principle apply to a motorcycle?

Maybe that is why some of these pipes are decreasing HP and Torque... from them being way too free flowing... producing a nice sound... but killing the back pressure needed...

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
this is true for a bike. thats where air and a power commander come in. you would hope these companys do many dyno pulls with their pipes to get close as possible to the correct backpressure. alot of pipes just sound good and dont produce a ton of hp. that might be the case with the dragsters, but i don't care. they sure do sound sweet. with the right combination of mods, they might really wake up.  :bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
BigBen said:
I know that on cages, if you have too LITTLE back pressure in an exhaust system, you can hurt your performance... does this same principle apply to a motorcycle?

Maybe that is why some of these pipes are decreasing HP and Torque... from them being way too free flowing... producing a nice sound... but killing the back pressure needed...

Anyone?
i haven't seen a pipe where you actuall lose hp. even the dragsters matched stock hp. with a power commander they might actually produce more hp than the stock pipes. stay tuned. :bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
most drag style 2-2 pipes do lose hp but not overall. If you look at a dyno chart you will see typical of drag pipes a flat spot in the mid range were they lose hp and torque. it also shows up as rich in that area but a good dyno tuner will not try and mask that with more fuel they will tell you you need torque cones or better baffles (thunder monsters maybe) to get some back pressure back. If you really want a good pipe with good hp/torque gains all the way around and very little to no low end loss you need a good 2-1 with a merge style collector. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
450 Posts
The bike has to have back pressure, read on why suzuki went to the pipe design that it did. Open pipes were loosing low end torge. Just like a car will do. What would correct the proble would be a X pipe or cross over pipe to regain the torgue, and equalize the pressure. I truly believe the pipe right now on the bike is the best all around for performance in all ranges. I wish it had a better throut to it, but nothing is perfect :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You can change that by drilling through the baffles. Its like having your cake & eating it too! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
J R said:
This thread aint even worth posting on ::) But i guess ill take a free post for wasting my time reading it ::)
:a20: Couldn't agree more ;)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
J R said:
This thread aint even worth posting on ::) But i guess ill take a free post for wasting my time reading it ::)
Sure it is!

If you are with cobras....and no baffles, then a previous poster is correct in that you have lost back pressure. Do a research on a 'lollipop' and you'll get 'tunable' performance back.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Not all Cobras mean less power. The Dragster doesn't even have the benefit of a crossover connection' and I don't think most people anticipated power gains from these pipes. The Speedsters have dynoed out pretty good so far, particularly without the baffles.
That said, Chop is running the Dragsters at the strip and turned 11.9 last I looked for the quarter mile, and he's a good size fellow.. The other point to make is that at the strip you're running higher in the power band and the SET isn't very important then. I'm sure Chop will explore other pipe options as they become available. I'm still tinkering with ideas to work off the stock pipes, throwing away the SET and the CAT, but preserving the collector, and then deciding what to do from there back. The nice thing is if I'm not happy with what I come up with, I'm sure other pipes will be hitting the market after my surgery and rehab.
Jer

G

·
when you add pipes you are leaning the bike out....adding an air intake is going to lean it even more. You need to add a Power Commander....that should perk it up. I have cobra longs on mine....no JSD...No Power Commander. I too noticed a "lack" of low end power...I just hit the throttle harder!! :yikes:

·
Registered
844 Posts
itsgud2bking said:
The bike has to have back pressure, read on why suzuki went to the pipe design that it did.:
I have the feeling that the stock pipe design might actually be pretty good from a power/torque point of view. Where would one "read on why Suzuki went to the pip design that it did"?

·
Registered
936 Posts
i run cobras speedster slash cut, i dynoed the bike stock and dynoed after, i know were the torque and horse power is. and gains made, i also run cobra fi2000r and THUNDER MONSTER baffles. for those of you who don't know nothing about thunder monsters, they make a unbelievable difference. Hal posted his dynoed 118 hp and Lamont posted 113 h power so i don't think the slash downs loose power.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts