M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy a fuel management system after reading the threads on difference of all systems i have decided that all I need is a cobra but I looked on dlp and they have two different ones and only about 30 bucks difference. any suggestions on which to get. it doesn't have much description of difference other than plug in's on one. can anyone help. all i have on bike now is scorpion tip exhaust and a TRE as far as performance goes but thinking about getting some ducks covers in near future. also i am having low speed surges like many have talked about.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
That is the only difference. The r is plug and play. the other cheaper one, you will need to cut into the harness and splice wires.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The cobra allows you to add items along the way such as a TRE. Free flow air cleaner mods. Exhaust. and tune it yourself with out the price of going to a dyno every time. But it won't get you the very last HP. But for most of us it does just nicely thanks.
Bob

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Pick up the plug and play option, "R" very easy to install.

I've added this unit after I modified my air intakes and added an exhaust system. It appears to have made the bike run extremely smooth and my mileage looks pretty darn good too so far.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I searched and unable to find but it seems like some people had issues with a fuel injection light after putting this on. any problems with that

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
I searched and unable to find but it seems like some people had issues with a fuel injection light after putting this on. any problems with that
Not that I have seen or heard. The only way that I would think that the "FI" light would come on is if they did not have it connected correctly.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I believe they had the injector plugs reversed if I remember right. One long , one short. And I followed some advice from here and got mine mounted without pulling the tank. A really long set of needle nose pliers got the job done.
Bob

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I installed it myself...while drinking...it's worked almost perfectly for over a year. I did have the harness connector come loose once but when I finally found the time to track it down it took 15 minutes to fix. My bike runs perfect.

·
Radio Active Member
22,690 Posts
It's hard to install it wrong as far as getting the connectors on the wrong cylinder. It has a short wire for the rear and a longer one for the front. The rear wire won't reach the front without some effort, and it's pretty obvious the way it was intended to be installed. With the PC3 you can switch them around, which is where some were getting an FI light.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I'm seriously considering the cobra unit over the pc3 due to ease of use.

How much do you think you are losing by not having the adjustability of the pc3.

The cobra almost seems too simple to do an effective job.....and yes, my scorpion tips are popping on decel.

·
Radio Active Member
22,690 Posts
I'm seriously considering the cobra unit over the pc3 due to ease of use.

How much do you think you are losing by not having the adjustability of the pc3.

The cobra almost seems too simple to do an effective job.....and yes, my scorpion tips are popping on decel.
Just a guess, but properly adjusted with the Cobra vs a custom dyno tune with a PC3, maybe 3 hp at some points in the power band. That's based off dyno charts I've seen on here, and considering doing intake, exhaust and PC3 usually only nets you around 10 hp.

Don't expect any of them to cure the popping though. Popping is unburned fuel in the exhaust igniting, and adding more fuel isn't going to fix it. Blocking the PAIR valves and checking for exhaust leaks so air can't get into the system will stop it. No air in, no way for it to burn.

And the stock bike pops too, you just can't hear it with the stock cans on.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Just a guess, but properly adjusted with the Cobra vs a custom dyno tune with a PC3, maybe 3 hp at some points in the power band. That's based off dyno charts I've seen on here, and considering doing intake, exhaust and PC3 usually only nets you around 10 hp.

Don't expect any of them to cure the popping though. Popping is unburned fuel in the exhaust igniting, and adding more fuel isn't going to fix it. Blocking the PAIR valves and checking for exhaust leaks so air can't get into the system will stop it. No air in, no way for it to burn.

And the stock bike pops too, you just can't hear it with the stock cans on.
Zoom, do you think the popping is as a result of a rich mixture? I know that if air gets in, it will allow the unburned fuel to ignite. in this case, if it is rich, then the cobra wouldn't really help.

Maybe I should do the pair valve mod. The popping is not really frequent. I might hear one, or sometimes 2 on decel. Not certain that this isn't normal as you suggested. It doesn't really bother me, but if it is detrimental to my engine in some way, then i should do something about it.

·
Radio Active Member
22,690 Posts
Blocking the PAIR valves is easy to do and fixes it for most. If it doesn't, you have an exhaust leak somewhere. I'd try blocking them first.

I doubt it's too rich, they are usually lean from the factory. And consider that the fuel that is getting dumped in there is just what it would normally be idling on, so it's not going to get too rich. That's another reason I think adding a fuel manager doesn't really fix the popping as they aren't going to richen up the idle mixture that much.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Zoom, do you think the popping is as a result of a rich mixture? I know that if air gets in, it will allow the unburned fuel to ignite. in this case, if it is rich, then the cobra wouldn't really help.

Maybe I should do the pair valve mod. The popping is not really frequent. I might hear one, or sometimes 2 on decel. Not certain that this isn't normal as you suggested. It doesn't really bother me, but if it is detrimental to my engine in some way, then i should do something about it.
i have a good PCIII map for scorpion tips that eliminates all decel popping. i have shared it with plenty of others on here and they have all had good results. if you get the PCIII, i will be more than happy to pass it on to you.

however, the cobra also does a fabulous job and costs much less in the end. the PCIII does allow for more of a fine tune, but as zoom pointed out, in the end the difference will be probably be very slight and hardly noticeable, if at all.

i have the PCIII and i am very happy with it, but i wouldn't hesitate to recommend the cobra to anyone. it does a great job.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Thanks Windy for the map offer, I will keep that in mind!

Zoom, I'm going to do the pair valve blockoff to see what happens. I will post the result.

I LOVE the scorpion tips! I was looking for a more gutsy sound that fits this bike better, and I definitely found it. I could ride all day long, just to listen to the sound of the exhaust!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
i run a cobra fi 2000 on my 9.the only problem i had was the ground wire connector came off. i don't think it was crimped very good from the factory. since i put the wire directly on the battery ground post(no connector) the bike runs great. had a slight "miss" just off idle to about 2500 rpms.rewired the ground and dialed in the same setting as draggin61 and has given me no problems and i still get 45 mpg.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts