M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm waiting for my cobra slashdowns and a thought occured....I haven't figured out what I'm going to do about adjusting the fuel curve!! :eek:

I know Cobra makes a plug and play, done deal, programmer, but I want to mess around a little and figure things out for myself. :read: The power commander has a USB port to hook up to my laptop.

The question is: " Is it overkill to go with the Power commander, only to end up with the same results as the cobra? ::) or, should I get it for it's added features?"

help me out guys, your opinions will help make up my mind.... :bigthumbsup:

-chad

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i think with just pipes and a few simple intake mods the cobra will be just fine. plus its cheaper and easier to use. plenty of info on this subject, just search and you shall receive.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The power commander will give you a much more complete tune. You can use the m,aps they provide with the unit, but to be really tuned in, you'll need to put it on a dyno. I've used the commander and it smoothes everyhting out and allows you to squeeze all of the ponies out of your bike. I don't see how the cobra cpu could be nearly as complete. It's like having a 7 band eq on your stereo or a button that you press to adjust the sound from "pop" to "rock" to "jazz", just not as versatile.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
not true. the bad thing about the cobra is you cannot remove fuel, only add. if your adding pipes or intake mods, who wants to remove fuel anyways? they are both tunable on the dyno. but that doesn't mean anything on the street. i adjust mine for real life conditions. you might be able to squeeze an extra horse with the power commander. i have had both and liked both. but for a simple pipe change the cocra is more than sufficient.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see both sides of the issues here and agree with you both ( if that's possible ) Will the power commander allow me to get the 14.7 :1 ratio easier than the cobra?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
yes, as it can remove fuel or lean it out too. Most people think that you slap on pipes and you start adding fuel, wrong. as some one who has done most jetting with carbs and having to change out jets, adjust needles and idle mixture screws and accelerator pumps it ain't always so. the best advice I can give is go to www.bigcitythunder.com and look up their section on jetting/dyno/pipes. they make an awsome product for 2-2 drag style pipes and the site shows what happens when you slap on 2-2 drags unbaffled and expect big hp and sound. well they will be loud but the midrange power has a nice fat hole in it. with 2-2's and not enough backpressure the bike will run rich in the midrange and on most carbureted bikes it's hard to adjust for so the answer is add back pressure, enough so that the fuel curve flattens out closer to 14.7:1, which is not really the best for power, around 13:1 is better. if you go with drag style pipes and want the best of power and sound I would run their thunder monster baffles. I did on my carbureted 03' Honda Sabre with Bub Big Willy pipes on it and it got rid of the tinny sound a lot of stock baffles have but still gave it enough backpressure so it was not as load as an open pipe but more importantly puts the power back in where it will be missing with open drags. another Harley tuner uses similiar means, he has had guys bring him big cubic inch Harley bikes that just did not run right considering the engine size and he would show them after a dyno run where the power was lost and the AF mix was rich right in the same spot. He tuned with torque cones which essentially does what the thunder monsters do except the thunder monsters have a patented washer thingie kinda like LaMonster did on his pipes but incorporated into the baffles. all you have to know is your I.D. of the pipe you are running. order the corresponding thunder monster baffle. remove your stock baffles, these go in place of but they explain in the instructions to mount them 5-6" into the pipe so you will have to drill a hole. always make sure you dyno the bike at a reputable dyno tuner. they will know how to tune with a Power Commander and most recommend them. they should also always use SAE for the correction factor on the Dyno Jet Dyno and smoothing (filtering) set on 5. this last part keeps the readings smooth but does not cheat anything. some bad dyno operators will show you anything you want to see but your bike may not be any faster than when it was stock. Also make sure you get AF (air fuel) readings with your dyno runs. some dyno operators skip that part too maybe because they don't want you to see the fact they cannot tune competantly. They should also make a minimum of 3 dyno pulls, 1st one to warm up the bike, you would be surprised what a difference that makes after the bike has sat just a short time, then 2 more for the baseline (stock) run. then after analyzing all the data and making the changes to AF settings 3 more runs like last time to get good overall results. remember too that temp/humidity play a big part in the numbers so I would suggest a sorta cool morning with low humidity for both before and after dyno runs to get accurate results. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
209 Posts
In my opinion the pc is the only way to go. Why buy a product that has limited tuning abilities? If your gonna dish out your money for a tuning device, regardless if your trying to get every last pony out, or just trying to not run lean, buy the better product.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks steve and slick,

sold, I'm gonna get the power commander. It just makes more sense in the long run. The thought of losing backpressure is worrying me a little. My yamaha R6 had a straight pipe on it and it was very obvious that I lost a lot down low............

Now if I could just find out when they are going to release the power commander. The web site jsut shows a part number. JP cycles says it can ship in 7-10 days, but I don't trust that it's in stock....

-Chad

_Anyone in MA want to go halves on one? You can trust me, we can keep it at my house :joke: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I intend to get the Power Commander (used them on all my bikes) and have my tuner make a custom map specific for the pipe and intake mods that I end up with.

·
Registered
898 Posts
slickdj96 said:
Why buy a product that has limited tuning abilities?
1. If it does everything you desire from the product.
2. It's cheaper (to my knowledge)
3. Maybe you have used one in the past and had good luck or like me, bought the other brand in the past and had bad luck.

Lots of reasons to use one over the other. I personally bought a PC with my roadstar silverado ... with baron's intake / jets / and pipes and never could get it to tune in right. Personally after having that bad taste in my mouth I won't be buying another PC. I will try something different or nothing at all. I had so much trouble after dumping 5k of aftermarket in the bike then having to get rid of it for less than I paid I am sure my distaste will last a longg time :mad:

khrome

1 - 10 of 10 Posts