M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to resurrect the dead but I'm thinking about going with the dragsters since UPS lost my pipes. I've read alot here but I'm wanting to hear from those of you who have had the baffles removed / end caps removed (love the posts, JR and company) and went with the thunders...

Like the sound? Is it somewhat quieter than having these pipes debaffled? And lastly, how is the butt dyno / real dyno (Sorry Hal :bigthumbsup:)? Things are good? I'm sure at least as good as stock with a pc3

THANKS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
haha thanks man. They still have tomorrow but I don't think its happening. I just dont wanna wait another 2 weeks to find a stock exhaust and start this whole procedure over again.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
When you get some pieps, you , Bullyvard, and ITGuy need to come down to Huntsville Dragway on a Sunday afternoon for test & tune. It'd be a great time and I'd finally get to see a cruiser there pick on the sport bikes. Can't do enough damage with mine. :(

There's a few cool bikes to check out as well, including the "Bat Bike".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man I am so (*&(*&(EW&*(#*&( ready to just start the bike and ride 5 blocks to work. Been going through withdrawals for weeks.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
go to www.bigcitythunder.com and look at the Dyno charts. I gotta disagree with you on this one JR, they actually make more power than unbaffled drag pipes which have a big hole in the midrange. I had these on my Honda V-twin with Bub Big Willy's on it and they sounded way better than with the Bub baffles and ran better than with or without the baffles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exhaust systems are one of those products that have a split personality. Most aftermarket pipes are made to look good on the bike. Most performance pipes are made to increase HP. I have yet to see a pipe that does a really good job of doing both. So maybe the Thunder Baffle is a way to make a good looking set of pipes perform better but I have my own set of problems with the Thunders. First, they are outrageously priced for what is provided. Thunder got a patent for the washer on a bolt concept which has been used for years by others. A guy on the VTX board used to make them and sell them for $20 and Thunder sent him a cease and desist order. Scared the guy to death and he stopped making the baffle.

I f you really want the baffle just make your own (as JR said) as its nothing more than a bolt with a washer welded on top. In fact if you do a search on this board you will see the one that Lamont made for his M109. Looked just like the Thunder as a bolt and washer don't have a distinctive look and no top secret products were involved. I think it helped Lamont more with the sound that it did on the HP.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
C'mon it's a little more than a washer on a bolt. the body itself is built like a torque cone and behaves similiar. I don't know what you guys smoke but sit in on a dyno session sometime with a v-twin and drag pipes. there is a hole big enough in the midrange for you to fall into and by bad pipe design you cannot eliminate all of it with the fuel mix which by the way goes way rich in that area. you can try and tune for it with the fuel but you are going to have to put a little back pressure into it and that's what they do. a good 4-1 or 2-1 collector pipes aids in scavenging which helps power but straights with no back pressure-BULLSHIT. JR, it might work on top fuel nitro methane burning funny cars but it ain't workin' on pump gas street rods. sorry. :dontknow:

·
Registered
169 Posts
theres a guy with the tag of moto, or motoman on this forum and I think uses bubba on another 109 forum who I believe has thunders in his cobra speedsrers.
Rekons they are real good and fills in the torque hole. Says they works way better than std cob baffles. Prob do the same for drags, by putting in some backpressure.
Moto/bubba, you there, mate ?

You might be able to help on this one.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
perthguy said:
theres a guy with the tag of moto, or motoman on this forum and I think uses bubba on another 109 forum who I believe has thunders in his cobra speedsrers.Â
Rekons they are real good and fills in the torque hole. Says they works way better than std cob baffles. Prob do the same for drags, by putting in some backpressure.
Moto/bubba, you there, mate ?

You might be able to help on this one.
Oh I believe you and worked with a Dyno tuner for over a year and he could tune every v-twin they brought to him with those open 2-2 drag pipes and the secret was using torque cones very similiar to what the thunder monster is. 2-2 drags screw with the fuel mix so bad there is no way to tune for them on the Carb/FI side alone and the torque cones really do work. I had a set of the Thunder monsters on my old 03' VT 1100 honda Sabre and it never sounded right with the Bub Big Willy pipes on it with the stock baffles or straight, kind of tinny tin can sound and some sound problems on that bike may have been due to the twin crankpin design. It was never going to lope like a single pin bike but the thunder monsters gave it the cleanest sound and most power of all 3 setups.

·
Registered
592 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
Exhaust systems are one of those products that have a split personality. Most aftermarket pipes are made to look good on the bike. Most performance pipes are made to increase HP. I have yet to see a pipe that does a really good job of doing both. So maybe the Thunder Baffle is a way to make a good looking set of pipes perform better but I have my own set of problems with the Thunders. First, they are outrageously priced for what is provided. Thunder got a patent for the washer on a bolt concept which has been used for years by others. A guy on the VTX board used to make them and sell them for $20 and Thunder sent him a cease and desist order. Scared the guy to death and he stopped making the baffle.

I f you really want the baffle just make your own (as JR said) as its nothing more than a bolt with a washer welded on top. In fact if you do a search on this board you will see the one that Lamont made for his M109. Looked just like the Thunder as a bolt and washer don't have a distinctive look and no top secret products were involved. I think it helped Lamont more with the sound that it did on the HP.
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Is a " torque cone " simply a 3 pice pipe welded togeteher that starts big piece, goes to a small piece then goes to abig piece?

Or put in simple terms.....a 2" long 1.5" dia pipe, reduced to a 3" long 1" dia pipe flaring to a 2" long 1.5" da pipe ? Nothing else?

Would I have just got the same benefit by spotwelding in a washer into azz end of my std conra slashdown baffles as I have done? or am I better off making a pipe as I described above?
The washer trick certainly makes it sound WAY nicer than a stock cob pipe. A reuced sound but mucho nicer and a "fuller" sound rather than the blat-blat of the original baffle.

Looking forward to some advice guys, because as I'm no newby wrench, I have just never heard of nor seen thunder baffles torque cones b4.
Ta.

·
Registered
525 Posts
 Â
 Â
  I made my own baffles for my dragsters. Basically, all I did was get some pipe pieces from AutoZone, weld them together to get a reduction from 2" to 1 1/2'' then back out to 2" again. It was easy, cheesy, and probably not for everyone.

(1) 2" pipe reduced to 1 1/2"
(1) 2" pipe Reduced to 1 7/8"
(1) drilled holes on each of the 1 7/8" sides so you can line up the baffle with the existing baffle bolt hole.

* Images below are not to scale. I made them to illustrate. *

Imagine the flow of exhaust going from right to left. First going through the 1 1/2" reduced part and then back out to 2" from the second pipe piece.

The sound in my personal opinion is far less harsh, a little deeper, and about 15% - 20% more quiet, than the "no baffle" route. I still have my end caps off. It just sounds better with them sitting on my shelf.

I did not top my bike out after this mod, but my low and midrange power feels a bit better on the butt dyno.

* Disclaimer: This is just what I did to my bike. I am only showing you how I did it. There is no actual reason to believe anything I say, because this is just text on a web forum. You can take this information and use it however you want except against me. :p

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
300CREW said:
 Â
 Â
  I made my own baffles for my dragsters. Basically, all I did was get some pipe pieces from AutoZone, weld them together to get a reduction from 2" to 1 1/2'' then back out to 2" again. It was easy, cheesy, and probably not for everyone.

(1) 2" pipe reduced to 1 1/2"
(1) 2" pipe Reduced to 1 7/8"
(1) drilled holes on each of the 1 7/8" sides so you can line up the baffle with the existing baffle bolt hole.

* Images below are not to scale. I made them to illustrate. *

thats pretty much a torque cone or thunder monster. yeah they are not too hard to make but mine were free and I didn't have to make them. they do work good at giving the bike back a deeper sound and fills in the hole nice in the mid range. :bigthumbsup:

Imagine the flow of exhaust going from right to left. First going through the 1 1/2" reduced part and then back out to 2" from the second pipe piece.

The sound in my personal opinion is far less harsh, a little deeper, and about 15% - 20% more quiet, than the "no baffle" route. I still have my end caps off. It just sounds better with them sitting on my shelf.

I did not top my bike out after this mod, but my low and midrange power feels a bit better on the butt dyno.

* Disclaimer: This is just what I did to my bike. I am only showing you how I did it. There is no actual reason to believe anything I say, because this is just text on a web forum. You can take this information and use it however you want except against me. :p

·
Registered
169 Posts
I also read on a post somewhere that the thunder baffles also have a washer welded into the pipe, in the fat end of the baffle ( not the reduced centre section) and placed with the washer end of the baffle nearest the end of the pipe.
Yea, or no..?

You see, in my slashdowns I have cobra baffles, and they are spriral perforated tubes, and I have welded a washer intothe end nearest the end of the pipe.
Have I just created a thunder lookalike, torque cone or am I missing something?
Ta guys.

·
Registered
525 Posts
perthguy said:
I also read on a post somewhere that the thunder baffles also have a washer welded into the pipe, in the fat end of the baffle ( not the reduced centre section) and placed with the washer end of the baffle nearest the end of the pipe.
Yea, or no..?Â

You see, in my slashdowns I have cobra baffles, and they are spriral perforated tubes, and I have welded a washer intothe end nearest the end of the pipe.
Have I just created a thunder lookalike, torque cone or am I missing something?
Ta guys.
I did the washer deal on mine, and didn't get what I was after, but here is a link to chew over. Maybe there is something here that will help you out.

Link:
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust.htm

·
Registered
525 Posts
wildwolf said:
Did you do 3 dyno runs (parallel to pipe, 45*, 90*?) to see if you got what you were after?
Hey, sorry I didn't see this last post. I wasn't trying to regain power and didn't do any dyno runs. I was after a cleaner sound while reducing noise levels. The washer in my opinion created more of a flappy noise. Even though the noise levels were reduced, I wasn't very fond of it. It was also higher pitched to make matters worse.

In the end, I made my own baffles like I described above and was very happy. The tone was deeper, cleaner and It felt a little stronger on acceleration. It was over and above the stock baffles ,no baffles, and the washer deal. I may have traded hp for tq by doing this. I never topped it out afterwards to find out.

The pipes on my ride now are the stockers modified with a car muffler. Similar to JR's except his looks better and has heat shields.

·
Registered
525 Posts
J R said:
Wheres your heat shields ??? Just not sure bout cutting them or what ?
My buddy here at work has a mechanic shop for our fleet vehicles. He was helping me out because I didn't have a cutter or welder. I think he was getting impatient with me after the time it took to line the pipe up, do welds and whatnot. The heat shield part got rushed. I think we cut too much, but now that I have seen some pics, they may still be good for someone else to use. I can take a pic of them if you want and send em to you if you have a need. The more I see my pipes black, the more I like em. The only thing that bothers me is I may have to redo the collecter part. I don't think I did that as well as it could be done.

·
Registered
525 Posts
That sounds like a great idea, going black with the heat shields. Thanks, I will go back and take another look at what I have left and maybe give it another try. :doorag:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts