M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Cobra Dragsters about 2 weeks ago and love the look and sound. They are a bit on the loud side, which would be fine, but when getting off after riding on the freeway at 80mph, I got off and my ears were ringing and I felt dizzy. So I bought quiet core baffles, and they do live up to their name. Doesnt seem much louder than stock. Made for a more comfortable ride, but very noticable performance loss, and it sounds wimpy to me. No longer sounds like its pushing nearly a liter per cylinder, which I loved. So I will be putting the original baffles back in and will just have to blame myself for hearing loss when Im older :dontknow:. Too bad there is nothing in between the two, or if there is please speak up. Hope this helps someone looking into the same thing.

Hearing loss saves lives :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Too bad there is nothing in between the two

Ear Plugs is what I use. 8)

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Maybe you could fit some fiberglass on the originals?
Most cycle shops sell it. I've used it before to take the bark out of loud pipes. One layer is all it takes.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I like the idea of putting fiberglass in there. Will have to try that some day. Got the original baffles in, and there is definitely a performance gain. Guess they are staying in, especially since I stripped out one of the allen heads.....oops.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
i persoanlly have ridden with somone with quiet cores much more pleasant for me than stock drags. if u want a mean sound out of those drags ditch cobra baffles and put some big city thunder monster baffles in

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have the same exhaust and felt the same way
What I did was to drill out 1 plug from the quite core
I did this before the dyno tune
so the bike was tuned with the mod for best performance

this gave me a nice not loud sound at idle

when I crack the throttle the thing roars nice and loud
not to loud on the highway

I figured the cost of the Quite core is not much if I did not like the mod
I could get another set

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i persoanlly have ridden with somone with quiet cores much more pleasant for me than stock drags. if u want a mean sound out of those drags ditch cobra baffles and put some big city thunder monster baffles in
I thought the big city baffles where louder than the originals. Am I wrong? Haven't heard them in person. I also thought about drilling the quiet baffles but still fear it would be restrictive. For now I will just just invest in some ear plugs. Had a few sets for my drums but my cat keeps stealing them.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I thought the big city baffles where louder than the originals. Am I wrong? Haven't heard them in person. I also thought about drilling the quiet baffles but still fear it would be restrictive. For now I will just just invest in some ear plugs. Had a few sets for my drums but my cat keeps stealing them.
They are louder. I had cobra drags on my vtx and pulled the baffles totally. The bike had that "jake brake" sound and i hated it. So, I put the big city thunder baffles in and it was just as loud, but reduced the nasty jake brake sound.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Monster baffles arnt crackly or highpitched like cobra stocks I hated the cobras till I got the monsters. Since then I went to bigshots even better choice

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Monster baffles arnt crackly or highpitched like cobra stocks I hated the cobras till I got the monsters. Since then I went to bigshots even better choice
I agree, they do change the tone to a much better note. I also run the bigshots without baffles and I love it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
doesn't it seem a little hypocritical to have loud exhaust and wear ear plugs to ride it:dontknow: if I'm going to make everyone else listen to it I should too......:joke: naa I'll just ear plugs and everyone else can suffer:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts