M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my Dragsters but felt they were too quite at idle (loud but not enough to get a cagers attention), but sound great when you give some throttle. Tried removing the baffles and using G-Pop, but they were super loud with popping, and major power loss. I don't want to mess with the Pair Valve or monkey around too much with my Bully (Stage 3 Setting).
I found out that the baffles are Cobra Quiet Cores. They have 2 stages. So I cut off the first stage, closest to the engine, at the ring which rests against the inside wall of the pipes. Looks like it allows 1/2 the flow around the remaining baffle section, and 1/2 the flow through the baffle now (kind of reminds me of drilling stock baffles).
Sounds great. Loud enough at idle so cars know I'm there, and plenty loud when accelerating, but not so loud to be offensive. Good sound and no pops, backfires, or power loss.

Very happy with these pipes. Got them for $399 on Ebay, with free shipping. Seemed like a good deal.

Cobra instructions and some of the M109 instructions that I found here helped.

Note - The bottom pipe is too close too the frame to remove the screw holding the baffle after everything is mounted, SO, I took my Dremel and cut an Allen Wrench shorter to fit in the space, and it worked.
Also, put the heat shields on but not tight before you mount the pipes. Very good tip I found here too. Just had to be careful not to scratch them.

Later,
Bro Bill
http://www.youtube.com/user/gracebiker

2008, C109RT, Gman: Risers, Bully (Stage 3 Setting), GBat with Charger, & Stealth Intake. Amplified Stereo Speakers with Wireless Relay On/Off Switch, Mustang Seat with Back Rest, Easy Bracket Saddle Bag Detachment, Leather Tank Bib, GIPro TRE, OEM Crash Bars, Headlight Modulator, Taillight Modulator, (removed rear seat rest for cleaner look).

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,093 Posts
It sounds like you basically turned them into stock baffles. The stock baffles have an inlet that matches the inside diameter of the pipe (your ring at the front), then following that is a perforated section, then another ring that again matches the inside of the pipe.

The Quiet Core have nice round holes in the section between the rings and the regular cores have punched louvers, but basically the same type of baffle. I have the Cobra Speedster Longs on my 109 and they had the stock baffles, but I wrapped them with 1/4" baffle wrap to tone them down a little. It's not a lot quieter but the baffle wrap took away a lot of the higher frequencies and made them sound deeper.

I'm trying to find some perforated pipe to make another set out of. The baffle wrap doesn't last long with such large perforations in the pipe, but something that is similar to the tubes used in car mufflers should work.

Mine looked something like this:

And yours looked like this:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that's it. I cut off that front part. Looks like the flow hits that Center Plug and creates back pressure while the other flow can flow around it, instead of hitting 2 Plugs.

Don't know what the stock ones looked like, these did come with the pipes.

It's perfect for my taste now. Low sounding and louder, not raspy or mega loud.

Bro Bill
http://www.youtube.com/user/gracebiker

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,093 Posts
Yeah, originally the flow in yours went in the first set of holes, out the second set, then back in the 3rd set. Now the flow goes down the middle and just out and in the 2nd and 3rd sets.

Mine are straight through, no walls in them. It's a wonder they quieten it at all. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at the picture above it's a little different. Mine has 2 of those outer rings that rest against the inner wall, but still 2 plugs (now one). If this didn't work I was going to try the Monster Baffles.

Anyway, compared to no baffles they're about 2/3 as loud. So still good and loud to get the cagers attention, but not booming to shake the houses as I ride by.

I'm very impressed with these pipes. They don't obscure the view of the rear tire like the stock ones do. I took off the RT passenger backrest for the same reason. If I'm going for a short ride I just pop off the hard bags and this bike gets alot of attention with it's styling.

Ride On!
Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.