M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys just got my bike back from the dealers today!, and i got them to keep a hold of the offending parts that need replacing!!, This is what Suzuki gave them to replace!, for FREE.:drool:,
Honestly, the heavy duty plates and springs won't fix this issue. I know of a couple folks that tried them and went back to stock plates. The springs don't really matter but you don't need them either.
You are right AGAIN!!, zoom, :bigthumbsup:

The part no`s are as follows!!!,
Thin washer or wavy washer!! 21472-48g10
Plate - 21441-48g10
This should fix it! as the guys at the shop said that this is the fix on some Recalls!!! for GSX1000 and Bussa`s.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wave Washer & Driven Plate Replacement

I posted a while ago about Suzuki looking into these two components as a possible source of clutch grab / shudder.

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1238227#post1238227

On my bike, when they replaced the Wave Washer by itself, it did not fix the problem.

They opened up the clutch a second time and replaced the Driven Plate No. 2, and the Wave Washer, as a pair.

This did fix the problem.

When the service tech and I examined the old parts, we could see a wear strip on the surface of the Driven Plate where the Wave Washer contacts it. This wear strip was also 'gummy' rather than smooth, so it's understandable how there could be a grabbing effect that's occurring where the two surfaces meet.

I don't know if it is because they're using incompatible metals that creates the gummy build-up.

To make matters worse, the two components are deep in the clutch basket, so the grabbing effect could be exacerbated by less lubrication.

I'm glad to see that someone else has had luck with this modification.

I've driven mine for two months now after the mod, and it has not shuddered once. It used to do it 3 or 4 times each ride. The real test for success will be at the 6 month point.

I'd recommend to anyone who is doing this mod to also replace the clutch pack while they're at it - just to be on the safe side. And make sure that they are well lubricated before installing them.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
I hope that fixes it for you bro. I'd still like to know why some do it and some don't, maybe they used different wave washers and plates in some of them. But if it works it's good to know and probably not that expensive to do.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
A lot of members think they've gotten rid of the shudder, only to have it return 2,000-10,000 miles later. My shudder problem didn't even start until 2 1/2 years after I bought the bike. I swapped clutch parts out twice (different parts out each time)... 1st return happened 2,500 miles later. Still waiting on the next return, but I'm sure it will be back with a vengeance. I hope your dealer's solution works! :pray: Please follow up here every few thousand miles or so. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I replaced my clutch plates with a heavier duty one and i havent had the shudder at all. I cant remember if the washer came in the kit or not but i didnt any updated part. so i assume eventually ill have the problem return

I posted a while ago about Suzuki looking into these two components as a possible cause of clutch grab / shudder.

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1238227#post1238227

On my bike, when they replaced the Wave Washer by itself, it did not fix the problem.

They opened up the clutch a second time and replaced the Driven Plate No. 2, and the Wave Washer, as a pair.

This did fix the problem.

When the service tech and I examined the old parts, we could see a wear strip on the surface of the Driven Plate where the Wave Washer contacts it. This wear strip was also 'gummy' rather than smooth, so it's easy to understand how there could be a grabbing effect where the two surfaces meet.

I don't know if it is because they're using incompatible metals that creates the gummy build-up.

To make matters worse, these two components are deep in the clutch basket, so the grabbing effect could be exascerbated by poorer lubrication.

I'm glad to see that someone else has had luck with this modification.

I've driven mine for two months now after the mod, and it has not shuddered once. It used to do it 3 or 4 times each ride. The real test for success will be at the 6 month point.

I'd recommend to anyone who is doing this mod to also replace the clutch pack while they're at it - just to be on the safe side. And make sure that they are well lubricated before installing them.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Hi guys just got my bike back from the dealers today!, and i got them to keep a hold of the offending parts that need replacing!!, This is what Suzuki gave them to replace!, for FREE.:drool:,
Honestly, the heavy duty plates and springs won't fix this issue. I know of a couple folks that tried them and went back to stock plates. The springs don't really matter but you don't need them either.
You are right AGAIN!!, zoom, :bigthumbsup:

The part no`s are as follows!!!,
Thin washer or wavy washer!! 21441-48g10
Plate - 21441-48g10
This should fix it! as the guys at the shop said that this is the fix on some Recalls!!! for GSX1000 and Bussa`s.
Are you sure about those part numbers?
They appear the same. The Wave washer is 21471-48G00

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:doh: :redfaced: sorry!! the wave washer part no is 21472-48G10
the face plate part no is 21441-48G10

So far bike feels like a new bike should, it`s like a dream!!, i have done 200 -+ , i have more confidence in it now!!, just got to replace the rear disk now!!, :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Suzuki is doing this for me also...and my bike is out of warranty (07 w/ 18.5k miles). They're covering labor as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
shudder

Is suzuki doing this under warranty,recall. noticed an 07 18k getting it done for free at the dealer on this post, mine shudders every now and then but not to bothered with it, but if its free then it bothers me.:dontknow:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Is suzuki doing this under warranty,recall. noticed an 07 18k getting it done for free at the dealer on this post, mine shudders every now and then but not to bothered with it, but if its free then it bothers me.:dontknow:
It's not a warranty recall. You need to go to your stealer and ask them to talk to your Suzuki rep. My dealership is pretty good...your results may vary.

I'm a little skeptical as to whether this is really gonna fix anything, but the price is right and I'm getting fresh clutch plates and springs (I bought the extra stuff) and no labor cost. I'll take it!

·
Registered
918 Posts
You need to go to your stealer and ask them to talk to your Suzuki rep. My dealership is pretty good...your results may vary.
:agree: I took mine to my dealer about 8 months ago and the service rep informed me (after the call to Suzuki) the corporate rep told him "it was the nature of the beast" . . . I don't think so. So I called the other day asking for any updates from corporate and the service rep told me to bring it in. Thanks AXMAN for the part numbers! When I return from the mountains this weekend, I'm gonna take my Nine to the dealer's . . .

·
Registered
6 Posts
clutch grabbing

I pulled mine apart and found the clutch was very dry (lacking oil) I removed the hub (inner) and drilled another set of holes in it adjacent to the existing ones. I then ground a small flat in the push piece to allow more oil into the centre of the hub. I oiled it all as i assembled it and now I don't have any shudder/grabbing at all. I've riden the bike for over 400 klms and all is good so far. I believe the problem is due to lack of oil on the plates. The clutch was so bad you had to ease it out just off idle to get it away. If the rpm was any higher as would normally be the practice for a normal start it would just grab violently and shake the whole bike. Very dangerous and unpleasant to ride

·
Registered
365 Posts
I pulled mine apart and found the clutch was very dry (lacking oil) I removed the hub (inner) and drilled another set of holes in it adjacent to the existing ones. I then ground a small flat in the push piece to allow more oil into the centre of the hub. I oiled it all as i assembled it and now I don't have any shudder/grabbing at all. I've riden the bike for over 400 klms and all is good so far. I believe the problem is due to lack of oil on the plates. The clutch was so bad you had to ease it out just off idle to get it away. If the rpm was any higher as would normally be the practice for a normal start it would just grab violently and shake the whole bike. Very dangerous and unpleasant to ride
Hey Kobber, got any pics of where you drilled and ground??

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I want to do the same. I was told by Suzuki that "it is a semi dry so if it is oiled too much you can get slipping and premature wear"
I don`t really know to what extreme. How much is too much?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts