M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and saw that other members have a clutch slippage problem at varying degrees.

My problem is from a standstill at a redlight with clutch in. Light turns green and I let out the clutch and start to move forward using a little throttle. The bike occasionally will start to shudder very hard and I will have to re-engage the clutch and try letting it out again. This only happens once in a while. I have adjusted the clutch at the handlebars a few times myself, as well as letting a friend of mine who is a bike mechanic do the same. Problem still reoccurs.

Is it the clutch or something else?

Any replies appreciated. I only have the JDS-3M on the bike. Bike has approx. 500 miles on it and I did not have this problem before the JDS, although I think they have nothing to do with each other.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You are probably having one of to issue's.....

Your not in 1st hear and/or you need more throttle.

Your clutch slipping would not produce what you are reporting.... I don't think.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pr0wl3r-X said:
You are probably having one of to issue's.....

Your not in 1st hear and/or you need more throttle.

Your clutch slipping would not produce what you are reporting.... I don't think.
It only happens in first gear from a dead stop, before the 1-2 upshift.

The more throttle I use the more it shudders, hence why I re=engage the clutch while my bike heaves and throes in the intersection. I thought that the JDS might be winding it up a little too much at part throttle, but I see that no other JDS owners are reporting it so it can't be that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
raw_taz said:
Have you changed your OIL?
I have not changed the oil yet. I was going to order some synthetic amsoil engine and gear oil and do the change myself........but if I have to take the bike to the dealer for the 600 mile service to look at this problem they probably will want to put in regular oil.

Do you think oil could be causing this?

G

·
If you have not change the oil, get it to the dealer and have them adjust the clutch. Which is different then the free play adjustment.

TAZ

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
raw_taz said:
If you have not change the oil, get it to the dealer and have them adjust the clutch. Which is different then the free play adjustment.

TAZ
I'll take it in this week.

G

·
tmac1337 said:
I have not changed the oil yet. I was going to order some synthetic amsoil engine and gear oil and do the change myself........but if I have to take the bike to the dealer for the 600 mile service to look at this problem they probably will want to put in regular oil.Â

Do you think oil could be causing this?
Oil with "Energy Conserving" Additives paticularly Molly will cause this problem it is a wet clutch.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
raw_taz said:
Oil with "Energy Conserving" Additives paticularly Molly will cause this problem it is a wet clutch.
The oil in the bike is from the dealer, whatever it is. I just called and will drop the bike off in the morning as they want it left there. I will have them adjust the clutch only and still do an Amsoil change myself later on and order a manual from Oneida Suzuki online.

I guess I will take off the JDS this afternoon so I don't have to listen to any BS from them!

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Clutch SHUDDERING

I am having the same shuddering. My dealer so far has only said that it sounds like a Suzuki typical clutch. I get the effect only when attempting to "feather" the clutch, such as one does when trying to move very slow in a difficult maneuver, like starting up on a steep uphill and turn at the same time, or when negotiating a very tight turn at low speed. It seems that attempting to slip the clutch sets it off into a grab-slip-grab-slip-grab-slip sequence. Be sure and share the results you get from your dealer, and thanks for any help in advance!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Clutch SHUDDERING

Roadhammer said:
I am having the same shuddering. My dealer so far has only said that it sounds like a Suzuki typical clutch. I get the effect only when attempting to "feather" the clutch, such as one does when trying to move very slow in a difficult maneuver, like starting up on a steep uphill and turn at the same time, or when negotiating a very tight turn at low speed. It seems that attempting to slip the clutch sets it off into a grab-slip-grab-slip-grab-slip sequence. Be sure and share the results you get from your dealer, and thanks for any help in advance!
My bike always does it from a standstill only when letting the clutch out.....also very slow speeds. I thought maybe it could be the fuel injection causing it to stumble as doing clutch adjustments at the handlebar have no effect.

I went out for a bike night last night and it happened 3 times, 2 times on the way to the dealer today. I questioned other 109 owners and they do not have the same problem.

The bike is at the Dealer right now. Quoted me $320.00 for the first service, to which I said "uh no". I'll let you know what they tell me about this shudder problem....if they can diagnose it at all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
raw_taz said:
$320 For first service is crazy, was that with synthetic oil?

Mine was 160 plus oil, 180 plus tax.

TAZ
Yeah, they are a total rip off. I just called another Suzuki dealer 9 miles from my house and was quoted $162.00 which includes tax. Looks like I will be changing dealerships for all other work I do!

Dealership will not put in synthetic oil.

·
Registered
721 Posts
tmac1337 said:
Yeah, they are a total rip off. I just called another Suzuki dealer 9 miles from my house and was quoted $162.00 which includes tax. Looks like I will be changing dealerships for all other work I do!

Dealership will not put in synthetic oil.
I have noticed some dealers do more than others for the first service...
So far from what I have seen, the cheaper rates on first service means you do not get everything checked that should be checked.
I would imagine that for $162 you will NOT get everything that the service manual calls for in the first service!!

G

·
Pr0wl3r-X said:
I have noticed some dealers do more than others for the first service...
So far from what I have seen, the cheaper rates on first service means you do not get everything checked that should be checked.
I would imagine that for $162 you will NOT get everything that the service manual calls for in the first service!!
I would disagree with you there are some very specific safety items that must be checked. The dealer is taking on the liability of these items, with the first service. If they do not do those safety checks and something where to happen the dealer and Suzuki would be out big bucks. And I don't think Suzuki would allow a dealer to do this more than a few times.

And at 162 bucks, you are paying for 2 hours of labor and parts. In two hours a skilled technichian could go over the entire bike as they are supposed to on the first sevice.

I just think the other dealer is trying to pocket more than the rest of the dealers. I have always had the dealer do first and second service because both are loaded with safety items.

TAZ

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
raw_taz said:
And at 162 bucks, you are paying for 2 hours of labor and parts. In two hours a skilled technichian could go over the entire bike as they are supposed to on the first sevice.

I just think the other dealer is trying to pocket more than the rest of the dealers. I have always had the dealer do first and second service because both are loaded with safety items.

TAZ
I agree. The Dealer is trying to pocket big bucks. I got a great price on the bike initially, but like any Dealer, parts and service is where the real money is at.

I have an alternative story with this Dealer ref. a jet boat I own. To be concise, I needed both engines overhauled due to a mishap. I was quoted estimates by this Dealer in the $9K range for rebuilt blocks. When I personally called the Co. who does the rebuilds I found out that it cost $1K less per engine than the Dealer had given me in a written estimate. Then they wanted thousands in labor, $800.00 to clean carbs, $600.00 for some general servicing that was bizarre and would seem to include changing fuel filters. I was told they have a time/charge schedule per hour you get charged no matter how long it really takes them with an hourly rate of $95.00 on jet boats and $80.00 on bikes.

I pulled the boat from them, and took the boat over to a shop recommended by the install Co. who is doing the complete job for 1/3 the price of the Dealer with free carb cleaning, oil lines, servicing, and testing. I only pay for the plugs. They took apart the engines in minutes before my eyes with zip guns and let me look at the internals. Had the exhausts, heads off, and carbs apart, drive line with impellors off, in no time. And the Dealer was going to charge me thousands for those few minutes to take apart and re-install.

I bought the bike there first before I took the boat to them. Now this quote for servicing. Some Dealers really are Stealers! It's almost criminal and I'll be taking my bike and boat to different places in the future.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the good fortune to have spent much of my youth (destroying and) rebuilding automobiles and motorcycles.  I have little problem performing first services on any vehicle that does not require tools I don't want to buy.  Granted, they're much more fun to ride than to work on, but doing it youself with competence is in my opinion the best alternative.  This clutch thing we're concerned with is a far cry outside a first service.  If it represents a mechanical problem, then it's a warranty matter.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Roadhammer said:
This clutch thing we're concerned with is a far cry outside a first service. If it represents a mechanical problem, then it's a warranty matter.
I have not heard from the dealer about the bike yet. It absolutely is a warranty problem. I'll post what they tell me as soon as I get a callback and pick it up.

·
Registered
906 Posts
tmac....

Take the AMSOIL with you and tell them that is what you want.. They will probably try to talk you out of it stating some BULLoney about warranty or it's too slippery.

Just tell them to put it in and make sure you watch them... comes from experience...

If they keep on about Warranty, tell them to write that on company letterhead and you want it signed by the Owner or General Manager. If they do it, it would be the first in History...

Bob

1 - 20 of 60 Posts