M109 Rider Forums banner

How many miles did you have when you experienced clutch shudder?

• 0 - 10k miles

Votes: 118 66.7%
  • 10k - 20k miles

Votes: 47 26.6%
  • 20k - 30k miles

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • 30k or more miles

Votes: 7 4.0%
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Clutch Shudder Poll -Important Update

How many miles were on your Nine when you experienced the clutch shudder? Mine's started around 10k. I was just curious because my service department told me Zuk corporate wasn't getting enough reports regarding the issue. If you're experiencing the problem, call Zuk corporate and report it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
synthetic oil

I only experienced the clutch shudder when I went to full synthetic oil, went back to regular oil and it went away. I am now using a blend and it too is fine.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
It's too bad Suzuki isn't stepping up to the plate on this isse. They should be doing a recall on ALL model years to everyone (whether the bike's still under warranty or not. This is a 109-wide problem.

G

·
It's too bad Suzuki isn't stepping up to the plate on this isse. They should be doing a recall on ALL model years to everyone (whether the bike's still under warranty or not. This is a 109-wide problem.
Don't tell me that this actually surprises you.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:agree: Grampi. I called the dealership yesterday regarding a technical service bulletin issued on the problem another member had posted, but the service manager told me he was only aware of an alert. But he said he'd check into it . . .

. . . :pop:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
How many miles was on your Nine when you experienced the clutch shudder? Mine's started around 10k. I was just curious because my service department told me Zuk corporate wasn't getting enough reports regarding the issue. If you're experiencing the problem, call Zuk corporate and report it.
anyone have a number for them??

and mine happens on hill starts 80% of the time. its a little unsettling.:eek:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
:agree: felt mine at about 5k

G

·
Mine is definitely temperature dependent. Early/late season cold morning = shudder. All summer long, never an issue, even without letting it warm up much.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Had my shudder happen a couple times at the end of 2007 on cold nights, the last time it did it it really pissed me off :verymad: so I did a 5000rpm launch thinking I would break it, but ended up never shuddering again and still running the same clutch. Not saying it fixed it, just kinda wierd it never happened again and I've been down the track about 20 times as well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have 2,300 miles on bike '08, and the shudder now occurs daily...used to be a rare thing, but expect it now anytime I ride. I switched to Mobile 1 Syn 20w 50 at 600 mi, will go back to the regular oil to see if this may be the issue. I tried warming it up, holding in the clutch at lights, leaning the bike on right side....have not yet tried the Hail Mary or Our Father approach...may be my next step...haha!

Will call Suzuki and see what they will do....still under warranty.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have an 08 with over 15000 and I never experienced the clutch shudder as of yet. I hope I didnt just jinx myself.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought a new 07 in 08 and within a few days, had the shudder and scared the $#!t out of me trying to leave a gas station. Called the stealer and was told they never had any complaints. Took it in and let them ride it and of course it did not happen and told me (in a joking manner) it might be rider induced so I guess after 14k on the bike now, and still shuddering, I must not know how to ride! Called ZUk and they acted as if this was not an issue that they have heard of either. Now, with the miles I have on the bike, the stealer will call it a ware item. Why won't they just fix this so we can move on?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I bought a new 07 in 08 and within a few days, had the shudder and scared the $#!t out of me trying to leave a gas station. Called the stealer and was told they never had any complaints. Took it in and let them ride it and of course it did not happen and told me (in a joking manner) it might be rider induced so I guess after 14k on the bike now, and still shuddering, I must not know how to ride! Called ZUk and they acted as if this was not an issue that they have heard of either. Now, with the miles I have on the bike, the stealer will call it a ware item. Why won't they just fix this so we can move on?
I don't believe ANY of these dealers who are telling their customers they've never heard of this problem. Look at how high the percentage is of people just in this site who are having this problem. I think they've probably been told by corporate to say this as a way to get out of dealing with this 109-wide problem. They just don't want to have to pony up to do the recalls.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Week 5 of my Nine being in the shop over the clutch issue. My dealer know there's a problem and is willing to fix it, it's just getting Zuk corp to provide a permanent fix so I won't return 10k miles later with the same problem . . . and mine's under warrenty. The dealer's also seeing a increasing number of Nines coming in with the same problem.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts