M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my bike from Adventure Motorsports in Monroe Washington.
They put in the new wave washer,the one that is concaved.
The new style washer is thinner in width and thicker in...uh..thickness than the original.
Ryan the shop manager showed me the old wave washer they took out and I put it on a flat surface to look at closely. The old washer was TOTALLY FLAT! It lost its spring completely!
Ryan said "Suzuki is seeing this as a problem".

I wonder if there was a bad heat treat lot in the manufacturing process with some of these washers. This would be a reason why the shudder problem is so random around the world. All the different oils and fancy "fixes" might be slowing the real problem from ariving.
I work in manufacturing comercial aircraft(Boeing) and I have seen similar scenarios through the years. JMO

I feel I see an answer!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Good deal! Congrats. I hope Suzuki recalls the defective washers. But then again, that would cost them money. So I guess that means that I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting my 08 repaired. :verymad: :mad: :'(

·
Registered
913 Posts
Good deal! Congrats. I hope Suzuki recalls the defective washers. But then again, that would cost them money. So I guess that means that I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting my 08 repaired. :verymad: :mad: :'(
Just purchase the washer yourself and replace when you replace your clutch plates. Its not that hard!

·
Registered
838 Posts
for us do it yourselfers or the ones that will take this problem to the dealer. Is there a part # for this umm thicker washer? :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im sure if you call Adventure Motorsports 360-805-5550 and ask for Ryan the service manager he could tell you the number. I`m not at liberty to search right now...at work:redfaced::D

·
Registered
263 Posts
that is great news, I haven't experienced the shudder yet but knowing there is a replacement washer, one will be ordered and installed to prevent the problem.
thanks bro, you saved a bunch of guys a head ache.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts
No shudder here either, but I'm due to check the tubular nut soon and it would be a good time to replace the washer anyway. Thanks for letting us know.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Im sure if you call Adventure Motorsports 360-805-5550 and ask for Ryan the service manager he could tell you the number. I`m not at liberty to search right now...at work:redfaced::D
know what you mean. 12 hours in front of a computer and two way radios. Job gets pretty crazy. When I get the chance I take a few mins and look at the forum. Destress' me and makes me want Feb to get here so I can play with all the mods Im going to buy while here (deployed)

·
Registered
547 Posts
im going to check with my dealer guys on this tuesday.
Let me know what they say. Mine is getting worse and worse. I will probably replace my clutch plates this winter if this washer is a fix.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I'm at 45,000 and the shudder is almost gone. It kinda caught me off guard the first couple of times. Instead of letting off I would hit the throttle, just had to be ready at all times. I started to see it get less and less as I would do it. Now i'm at a point where its almost gone. Right now its at a little shudder at first when you first let the clutch out. I can just hear it and no launching ahead.

Lots of people are not as aggressive as I am. I started to see it was getting less every time I would grind at it by getting on it every time it would happen. I notice it was happening with less and less throttle every time it happen. So I figured F it and drive it. It happen yesterday and was almost gone. I just hear a little shudder and no launch. I'm kinda thinking its ether its going to blow or back the nut off or something, but nothing yet.

I post this back quit a long time ago and was going to let people know what the result would be. Well its almost gone.

What suck about all this is that Suzuki will not do anything about it till someone gets badly hurt and takes Suzuki to court for big bucks and wins. Its like traffic lights, they don't put them in till 10 people get hurt or killed.

Just my .02

Dave
NES.stone

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm not convinced yet that this is a long term fix, but just had mine done too. The shudder is gone...for now. I think this might be Zuk's way of pacifying us until they can figure out what the hell's wrong.

GUYS, push your dealers on this issue. Suzuki did my wave washer and back plate + labor at no cost to me on an 07 with NO extended warranty. That's right, parts and labor, out of warranty. I did give them a full set of plates to put in while they were at it, since the labor was covered.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I found this thread from May 2010 from BullyKeye

"Hey,,,if you experience this shudder when you first start to release your clutch,,, i had the same problem,,, i change the wave washer and seat in my clutch and cured my problem, and it's the only thing i did,,,parts are # 12 and 13 and part #s are "seat 21471-48G00 washer 21472_48G00,,,,the new parts are thicker than the original ,,,,hope this help,,,,"

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129270&highlight=clutch+shutter

I hope this helps, I have not had this issue, but this is another thing I will put in my virtual toolbox.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found this thread from May 2010 from BullyKeye

"Hey,,,if you experience this shudder when you first start to release your clutch,,, i had the same problem,,, i change the wave washer and seat in my clutch and cured my problem, and it's the only thing i did,,,parts are # 12 and 13 and part #s are "seat 21471-48G00 washer 21472_48G00,,,,the new parts are thicker than the original ,,,,hope this help,,,,"

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129270&highlight=clutch+shutter

I hope this helps, I have not had this issue, but this is another thing I will put in my virtual toolbox.
So this confirms it.:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
My entire clutch was replaced two years ago so I wasnt totally sure why the shudder came back. This time another shop replaced only the wave washer and seat and this seemed to fix it. I was told my plates were in great shape(with 11,000 miles on that clutch)
Just the fact that my wave washer had totally lost its spring to the point of being FLAT convinces me this is it.

Im still going to watch carefully for several thousand miles though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Some bikes came from the factory with clucth incorrectly assembled !!! Yes there wave and seat washer is a problem , but there are also oiling problems , and ajustment problems .

1: If INCORRECTLY ASSEMBLED THERE IS NO WAY TO RECTIFY BY ADJUSTMENT .

2 : IF WAVE AND SEAT ARE DAMAGED THERE IS NO WAY TO RECTIFY WITH ADJUSTMENT

3 : IF THE MECHANIC IS UN AWARE OF THE BULLETIN THERE IS NOW WAY HE IS GOING TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM !!!

So Suzuki has overlooked the problem , hopefully by the time that it gets back to them it is out of warranty , they therefore saved themselves pleanty of $$$$$
plus they now make money from the "new" WAVED AND SEAT WASHER , ALONG WITH NEW GASKET !!!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some bikes came from the factory with clucth incorrectly assembled !!! Yes there wave and seat washer is a problem , but there are also oiling problems , and ajustment problems .

2 : IF WAVE AND SEAT ARE DAMAGED THERE IS NO WAY TO RECTIFY WITH ADJUSTMENT

3 : IF THE MECHANIC IS UN AWARE OF THE BULLETIN THERE IS NOW WAY HE IS GOING TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM !!!

:agree::agree::agree:

All of this is frustrating.

And that is why figuring this issue out has been like counting chicks in a box!
I am planning to do the oil drill when I tear it apart next.
The service Manager agreed that the 109 is a "monster" and all that energy works its way to the weakest part.

·
Registered
30 Posts

What exactly was/is incorrectly assembled?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts