M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, maybe you can help me out with this problem I have with my 9. I was taking off from a lite, pulled in on the clutch, put it in 1st gear & the bike jumped forward like I had no clutch at all. After shutting it off while it was in gear & pulling in on the clutch fully, it was still in gear. No nuetral? I took off exhaust & side cover to look at clutch basket. It was moving in & out like it was supposed too. I'm at a loss?!! I have a manual & after taking out the clutches & re-installing them it still the same. no clutch action. Everything moves but no disengagement from working the clutch lever. I don't thing its in the tranny itself, just clutch wont disengage from trans? Maybe I need new clutches??? Any help would be apprecited before moving on to the dealership......:bow:

G

·
It's a known problem The "tube nut" as they call it, that holds the clutch hub assembly together backs out and locks it up. There are threads on here that cover it. Do a search. It takes a special tool and the service manual says not to mess with it. but some here have made there own tool. Check with your Suzuki dealer as some are taking care of it under warrantee. At the very least inform the dealer of the problem so that it continues to get reported to Suzuki as they need to know how wide spread the problem is.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS for the info on the tube nut. I found a thread online about the problem too. I followed their directions as to fix the problem.... I'll let you guys know how it turns out! Thanks again for your input... J:p

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It took all day but after 3 tries it seems to be OK again. But my clutches seem to be grabbing as soon as I let off on the clutch lever a lil. I'll have to try readjusting the play on the clutch rod in the basket. There doesnt seem to be any if all free play in clutch lever,will keep you in the loop...^-^

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know there is supposed to be a lil freeplay in the lever before it starts to pull on the cable. I took the bike back apart this morning at 6:30 am, went to work, came home at 6pm. Ate dinner then ran out side to pull the bike back apart & clutches back apart in the basket. I've decided to buy a new set of clutches from Parts Direct & do it again the rite way. looks like ill be driving my Honda for a few days. Oh its a Honda Element, not motorcycle! LOL. Thanks for your input..! :dontknow:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Don't forget to adjust cable tension at the engine side and then tail it at the level side. I

just replaced my clutch cable and while I do have a little bit of free play - it still tightens up under good acceleration (say 3/4 of the throttle).
Any further free-play causes my clutch not to disengage properly for slow speed gear shifting (city traffic).

Sounds like you are making great progress and good luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I did, kinda ! Went over to Pep boys & bought a 4 toothed axle nut socket 65mm I think. Put it in my vise & broke off 2 of the teeth across from each other. I fit perfectly onto the remaining 2 notches in the tube nut. I covered the threads up with Cherry flavored "locktite" syrup & torqued that baby down to 100ft lbs. Then double checked it with my 3/4 drive electric impact gun. Im letting it sit overnite to set up. New clutches wont be here till Friday.... Lets see......:drool:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could still use a lil help here guys.... I put new clutch plates back in & adjusted the Thrust washer in till a lil resistance then backed it off 1 turn before replacing the cover which left just the rite amount of free play in clutch lever. After starting it up its really hard to get into gear & when in gear can't get it into neutral again. Im playing around with the cable adjustments now. lever adjustment is all the way in.. Working on the rear adjustment now.. all this cause a stupid tube nut backed off 2 full turns! I've been working on cars all my life & fixin lawn mowers & tractor too. This shouldnt be to much harder than any of those, RITE?:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,147 Posts
Contact tiny71 about how much to adjust the push rod. I talked with him a while back and I think he said he had to adjust his 1/2 turn back to get it to work.

Sounds like you may be adjusting the clutch lever wrong too. You need to turn the adjuster out to get the clutch to release more. The further it is screwed in, the less the lever can pull on the clutch to release it. But if you adjust it too far out the clutch won't fully engage and it can slip. You should have about 2-3 quarters slack at the lever. I pull the lever, insert two quarters between the lever and perch, then turn the adjuster in until the two quarters can just be pulled out without dragging.

But if the pushrod in the clutch basket isn't right, you can't get it adjusted at the lever or at the trans to work.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Actually some have not pushed this issue hard enough---check the clutch cable very carefully. Look at both ends for fraying of any kind. Also, adjust it accordingly as suggested above. Yes, the tube nut could be the issue--but appears you have done everything in that area. The next obvious is cable/freeplay adjustment. Then the only thing is the cable itself. Does it feel harder to pull in? Have you moved the cable outside of the motor mount area--there are old posts on this and maybe a how to. My bet, with all you have done, is the cable.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I should have turned the adjustments on both the lever & clutch arm arm all the way in before adjusting the thrust waher in the clutch basket. Then work my way back out to the clutch lever adjuster. Oh well, looks like I'll be pulling it apart again.... Im gettin pretty fast at rippin it apart! 3rd time.. Other than that strong clutch shes back to normal. Really wasnt to big a deal.... I need the trainin workin on this machine too.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, went out with the guys this mornin, need 100 miles. Got back home in the driveway & BOOM!!! clutch cable snapped at the lever. Im glad I was at least home with the bike.... now I have to wait for the new cable... Great Labor day Weekend.....:-[

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im still waitin on the new Barnett cable from DLP. Zuki dealer is @ 10 miles from me & he has new stock cable for 50 bucks. Damm shoulda called them 1st!!! Maybe by Saturday it will be here.:dontknow:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 thing for sure on this site. Plenty of info on how to do repairs from people who have been there already.... When I took my 9 apart I took pressure plate out & saw tension springs were looking loose in it. I went over to my neighbor who messes with race cars & asked him if they were suppose to be loose like that & he wasn't sure either so I put it back together. The more I was reading threads about the situation the more I was thinking I should have smacked the tabs down to hold the springs tighter in the pressure plate. Has anyone else done this & seen an improvement in the shifting? Maybe this is the cause of the FAMOUS TUBE NUT COMING LOOSE????????

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,147 Posts
The only time those springs are loose is when the bike isn't pulling or decelerating. The rest of the time the plates shift under load and compress the springs. I've never tightened mine down and it shifts great, and the tubular nut is still tight. Good thoughts though.

Also, some have mashed the tabs down on the springs and then had a lot of wear on the tabs. The springs are a lot harder than the hub metal is. The only real problem with the springs being loose is the noise they make at idle. A far better fix, if one is really needed, would be to make some spacers to put in front of or behind them to hold them in place.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts