M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my dream bike from Sunrise Cycles in Norfolk, VA. The beastly M109R. I've wanted this bike for years and finally came across a beautiful black 2008. I realized after riding for a little while that the clutch is extremely stiff. I rode my M50 to compare the feeling of the clutch, and even went around to a couple dealerships that had preowned M109R's to compare their clutches to my own. I brought up my concerns with the dealership and they told me that it was because the bike was a beast and it was how they were built. I even asked them why their other model's clutch didn't feel like this and they went around giving me an actual answer. The cable is an aftermarket cable, more than likely replaced after one broke. The bike has 23,000 miles on it. It runs beautifully other than the clutch issue, and also the well known issue of shifting from 1st to 2nd. Please advise me on what could be the cause of this so that I can put my mind at ease and enjoy this "fat girl" the way she deserves. Thank you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sounds like hand strengthening excersizes in your future! Sorry couldn't resist. Lube cable and see if it doesn't lighten up some. My Harley friends always used to tell me how strong they had to be to pull in their clutches, until they tried to pull in my clutch on my '82 GS1100E with a Barnett clutch in it. If lubing the cable doesn't help, take it off and see if it moves freely the length of it's travel, it could just be a funky cable.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I recently bought my dream bike from Sunrise Cycles in Norfolk, VA. The beastly M109R. I've wanted this bike for years and finally came across a beautiful black 2008. I realized after riding for a little while that the clutch is extremely stiff. I rode my M50 to compare the feeling of the clutch, and even went around to a couple dealerships that had preowned M109R's to compare their clutches to my own. I brought up my concerns with the dealership and they told me that it was because the bike was a beast and it was how they were built. I even asked them why their other model's clutch didn't feel like this and they went around giving me an actual answer. The cable is an aftermarket cable, more than likely replaced after one broke. The bike has 23,000 miles on it. It runs beautifully other than the clutch issue, and also the well known issue of shifting from 1st to 2nd. Please advise me on what could be the cause of this so that I can put my mind at ease and enjoy this "fat girl" the way she deserves. Thank you.
It sounds like you need to have the tension on your clutch cable adjusted properly. If you can't adjust it yourself take it to a reputable bike mechanic or dealership.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
First, congrats on the bike. If you look at your risers, are they the stock riser height, or they aftermarkets that are pulled back? I had 2" pullback risers and when Barnett had clutch cables, never had a problem. The only manufacturer now is Motion Pro and I have been through 4 cables and all are doing exactly what you are experiencing. I put all my stuff back to stock about a month ago and could not be happier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the inputs, however they checked the tension and lubed the cable, i'm guessing to shut me up, and i'm still having the same issue. The risers are stock. I'm debating on ordering the OEM clutch cable to see if that solves my problem. I also did a little research and found that it may also possibly be the springs. Especially if they are aftermarket. I am going to disconnect the cable today and see how much pressure it takes to move the arm. I would definitely say that if it moves easier than actually using the clutch lever, then it could definitely be a funky cable.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Thanks for the inputs, however they checked the tension and lubed the cable, i'm guessing to shut me up, and i'm still having the same issue. The risers are stock. I'm debating on ordering the OEM clutch cable to see if that solves my problem. I also did a little research and found that it may also possibly be the springs. Especially if they are aftermarket. I am going to disconnect the cable today and see how much pressure it takes to move the arm. I would definitely say that if it moves easier than actually using the clutch lever, then it could definitely be a funky cable.
I don't know that you will learn much by trying to move the lever at the engine. It's pretty short and probably won't move by hand. Your problem might be with the cable routing. If it's not routed right it can get pinched between the motor and the frame. Once it gets pinched enough to collapse the casing, it's gonna pull hard. With 23K on the clock, the front motor mounts are probably totally shot if they haven't been replaced. And, even if they have, they might be trashed again with those miles. If the cable is routed badly, it could be pinched.

I have pullback risers and Motion Pro cable and have no issue with hard clutch pull. It pulls exactly the same as with the stock cable.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I don't know that you will learn much by trying to move the lever at the engine. It's pretty short and probably won't move by hand. Your problem might be with the cable routing. If it's not routed right it can get pinched between the motor and the frame. Once it gets pinched enough to collapse the casing, it's gonna pull hard. With 23K on the clock, the front motor mounts are probably totally shot if they haven't been replaced. And, even if they have, they might be trashed again with those miles. If the cable is routed badly, it could be pinched.

I have pullback risers and Motion Pro cable and have no issue with hard clutch pull. It pulls exactly the same as with the stock cable.
TRod, that's a good observation. I have used Motion Pro cables for several years now. A few years ago, I had a problem once, which had to do with the cable having been routed incorrectly. The Clutch was extremely and uncharacteristically stiff after a while as a result. After the cable was rerouted it made a world of difference. I had forgotten about that until I read your post.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I THINK YOU ARE ON RIGHT TRACK DISCONNECT BOTH CABLE ENDS AND CHECK EASE OF MOVEMENT IF EASY YOU HAVE OTHER ISSUE. I MADE A PAPER FUNNEL ON MINE AND PUT SOME OIL THROUGH IT MAN IT IS SO SOFT NOW.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I THINK YOU ARE ON RIGHT TRACK DISCONNECT BOTH CABLE ENDS AND CHECK EASE OF MOVEMENT IF EASY YOU HAVE OTHER ISSUE. I MADE A PAPER FUNNEL ON MINE AND PUT SOME OIL THROUGH IT MAN IT IS SO SOFT NOW.
I disconnected both ends of the cable and it moved freely within itself. Could it still be that the aftermarket cable is causing this?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
If it's not the cable as Trod described there may be a chance that the previous owner replaced the stock springs in the clutch pack to a heavy duty set. I had a set installed on my bike back when we were experimenting on upgrading the stock clutch and quickly removed them and put the stock set back in. The heavy duty set almost doubled the force needed to pull in the handle compared to the stock set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great news everybody. Just switched out the aftermarket cable with a stock one and the issue is resolved. Now shiftung with just my middle finger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome aboard! Congrats on the new ride!

Glad to see you got the clutch issue straight.
I appretiate it, Boss. I was concerned that it may have been a pressure plate issue or worse. but now I am worry free and ready to start customizing my new baby. I've decided to keep the M50 and use it as my daily and eventually give it to my son (if i still have it by then). Stoked doesn't even decribe the feeling i get knowing i own this very coveted beast!

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
The stock clutch cable is probably the best. They do have a tendency to break. At least the early year bikes did, the cable would pull out of the barrels that attach it to the ends. Happened to me at around 20,000 miles. Fortunately I was warned about it, and as a result, never go anywhere without a spare under the seat. That and about a four foot piece of string. Tie string to the top of the old cable, pull it through from the bottom. Tie string to top of new cable and pull the string through from the top. Voila, back on the road in about 20 minutes.

Put it under there like this, and the seat goes on no problemo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The stock clutch cable is probably the best. They do have a tendency to break. At least the early year bikes did, the cable would pull out of the barrels that attach it to the ends. Happened to me at around 20,000 miles. Fortunately I was warned about it, and as a result, never go anywhere without a spare under the seat. That and about a four foot piece of string. Tie string to the top of the old cable, pull it through from the bottom. Tie string to top of new cable and pull the string through from the top. Voila, back on the road in about 20 minutes.

Pit it under there like this, and the seat goes on no problemo.

looks good to me thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts