M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question... do I need to drain the oil to tear apart the clutch? Sorry if dumb question. I will be working on a jack so bike will be flat.

Thanks

I think I got the dreaded backed out tubular nut thing yesterday... no clutch. Ended up riding home 75 miles with no clutch (my AAA had expired:doh: ). Will be checking a couple of things first (like cable casing collapsed, but probably is tubular nut).

And yes, I found info on the fix.
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82993

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would say yes, if the bike is flat, if it was on the side stand you might have got away without dropping the oil,

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
when they did Hinks last year at VA... it was on the side stand and they didnt drain the oil....but dont hold me to that... ;)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
when they did Hinks last year at VA... it was on the side stand and they didnt drain the oil....but dont hold me to that... ;)
Your exactly right, well I wasn't there to know if that is exactly how they did it but you don't have to drain the oil to tear into your clutch on the right side as long as you have it on the side stand and you don't have you bike lowered to much. I've done my bike many of times to check everything out and I've also helped fix a couple other guys around my area including one I just did yesterday and they have all been done on the side stand.

Do not put it on the lift and remove the cover or you'll lose a lot of oil. If you have to work with it flat your best bet is to go ahead and drain the oil. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
I've been into my clutch twice...just left it on the sidestand both times, and didn't lose more than a few drops.:bigthumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts