M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I new here but been lurking for a bit. I just bought an '06 m109 a couple weeks ago. The bike has 13k miles on it. I have put about about 800 miles on it and I was riding it today and the clutch quit working. I still have tension on the clutch lever, but you engage it and it stays in gear:edit::edit::edit:.
Is this going to be the "famous clutch nut issue" or do you think its something else? I was just wondering before I tear it down if thats how it acts when the clutch nut comes loose or if I need to be looking at other things.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just (2 hours ago) picked up my bike from the shop. My bike was displaying the same issues that yours is. Super tight clutch lever and bike not responding to the cracking of the trottle. I also have an 06 but mine has 8k miles. ( i bought it used). Bad news brother.....i had to buy a whole new clutch, plates and springs, filters, and new oil. The whole nine yards. cost me about $470 for everything installation included. Good news is that while it was there i had lowering bones and grips installed. Now the bike runs 10 times better than before.
I hope that your bike is only the famous nut hub or a simple cable, but this is my story. :dontknow:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Tire change and clutch went wacky

I got my tire changed the other day and when the shop gave me back the bike the clutch only engaged at the very end of the lever. I had no issues before I gave it to them to work on. No adjustment on the cable would fix it. Before I took it in for service today I switched back to my stock clutch levers last night and as soon as I had it back to the OEM lever the clutch was fine. Even better, it worked much smoother with the OEM lever than my chromed levers. I will be sticking with the stock levers. Still a very weird issue. Maybe pulling on the cable to get it off the chrome lever loosened something up or brought it back to normal operation.

-Polartek

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
If the clutch lever still pulls normally but it doesn't affect the clutch operation, I'd check the tube nut first. It's easy to do and is more than likely the problem. It probably started loosening a couple shifts before it loosened enough to affect it, which you can tell by the clutch starting to engage further out. But it's easy not to notice it happening.

What happens when it loosens is the clutch push rod pushes the entire clutch basket out, instead of just pushing on the pressure plate. If the pressure plate doesn't release pressure on the clutch pack, the clutch can't disengage.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I tore into my bike today. It was the clutch hub nut that came loose. Its a pretty easy fix just takes a couple hours and it shifts better than it every has before, but I've only owned it for about 500-700 miles. Just want to say thanks to FlightRisk on the forum here for the help. Because I needed help drinking the beers!!:beer3:

Reactions: HyperPete

·
Registered
140 Posts
oh good i'm glad. I guess that the previous owner of my bike tore into it just enough. Unfortunately for me it wasnt the clutch hub nut but the clutch itself.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
Glad that fixed it for you. It's happened to so many on here that the symptoms are the same so the diagnosis is usually easy. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help

Looking for any help....I had a clutch stop working after riding about 1 1/2 straight .. the oil seemed a little low but not much and i was told that the clutch plates are probably frozen together....i broke it down to replace the plates and found that the tubular nut was also loose but none of the plates were stuck together.... i followed good directions to re-install and everything....got the oil drained and leveled right. Drove it down the road and everything seemed fine for the first 20mins of riding and then noticed a slipping issue and the clutch lever got tighter.....before i could get it home it got worse to the point of almost not pulling.....is there anyone that can question me to see if they can help me figure out what i might have done wrong? Thanks if you can.....

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
Looking for any help....I had a clutch stop working after riding about 1 1/2 straight .. the oil seemed a little low but not much and i was told that the clutch plates are probably frozen together....i broke it down to replace the plates and found that the tubular nut was also loose but none of the plates were stuck together.... i followed good directions to re-install and everything....got the oil drained and leveled right. Drove it down the road and everything seemed fine for the first 20mins of riding and then noticed a slipping issue and the clutch lever got tighter.....before i could get it home it got worse to the point of almost not pulling.....is there anyone that can question me to see if they can help me figure out what i might have done wrong? Thanks if you can.....
Loosen the adjuster on the lever up a couple turns and see if that fixes it. Once you tear the clutch apart it needs to reseat the plates, and in doing so it takes up some of the slack. It's common to need to readjust them.

Loosen the locking ring on the adjuster, and turn the adjuster in until the lever has a gap between it and the mount about the thickness of two quarters. These need plenty of slack because the engine pulls on the cable under power and can make the clutch release a little.

If two quarters slack won't allow the clutch to release when you pull the lever all the way back, turn the adjuster back out a turn at a time until it works the way you like it.

:welcome: to the forum too. :D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Well, I tore into my bike today. It was the clutch hub nut that came loose. Its a pretty easy fix just takes a couple hours and it shifts better than it every has before, but I've only owned it for about 500-700 miles. Just want to say thanks to FlightRisk on the forum here for the help. Because I needed help drinking the beers!!:beer3:
Now that you've identified and repaired it, go ahead and order the replacement part.
This repair should be considered temporary as that tube nut has came loose again after this fix.

http://pagreaves.com/109/clutch/clutch.htm

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just (2 hours ago) picked up my bike from the shop. My bike was displaying the same issues that yours is. Super tight clutch lever and bike not responding to the cracking of the trottle. I also have an 06 but mine has 8k miles. ( i bought it used). Bad news brother.....i had to buy a whole new clutch, plates and springs, filters, and new oil. The whole nine yards. cost me about $470 for everything installation included. Good news is that while it was there i had lowering bones and grips installed. Now the bike runs 10 times better than before.
I hope that your bike is only the famous nut hub or a simple cable, but this is my story. :dontknow:
I mean, $470 isn't bad at all for all that work. I hope that's all I'm looking at spending as well. Where are you located?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts