M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding home today and think my clutch cable broke on a hard shift. I had a few miles to figure out how i was going to stop without falling over. Since i only had one stop sign on my trip i knew i'd be able to push it the last 600 yards to the house. Anyways the bike starts in neutral and when i work the clutch lever i can heard the sound change in the engine. You know that slight clutch chatter when you work the clutch in and out, so one would think the clutch cable is intact. But when i pull the lever in a put it in gear it just lunges forward and stalls. Anyone have any ideas? I plan on checking out the cable first but in the mean time if anyone know right off the bat what the problem is i'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was riding home today and think my clutch cable broke on a hard shift. I had a few miles to figure out how i was going to stop without falling over. Since i only had one stop sign on my trip i knew i'd be able to push it the last 600 yards to the house. Anyways the bike starts in neutral and when i work the clutch lever i can heard the sound change in the engine. You know that slight clutch chatter when you work the clutch in and out, so one would think the clutch cable is intact. But when i pull the lever in a put it in gear it just lunges forward and stalls. Anyone have any ideas? I plan on checking out the cable first but in the mean time if anyone know right off the bat what the problem is i'd appreciate it.
It definitaly sounds like your clutch nut is loose. Me as well as plenty of other guys on here have had the same problem. If your mechanically inclined it is a easy fix shouldn't take no more then a half and hours. Do a search for the clutch nut. Or tubular clutch nut there is a thread on here showing how to fix it. good luck

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Well, I would say you are about 95% clutch hub nut---as stated above.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a PDF with pics by listan1 online. So i guess i'll be tearing into it tomorrow. Anything i should replace while i'm in there?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I found a PDF with pics by listan1 online. So i guess i'll be tearing into it tomorrow. Anything i should replace while i'm in there?
How many miles on the bike? In my opinion, it is very easy to do a clutch on these bikes. So, tear into it and fix the hub nut. if you see anything funny on the plates, or the steels are blued, then replace. Otherwide, just button up and go ride. After you finish, you will see how easy it is and know that there is no need to replace anything while there. FYI, the bolts for the springs should be set to 4 ft. lbs. Any more you risk snapping them off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know this is probably a long shot but is this at all possible to do while the bike is on the side stand and not have to drain the oil?

Oh and the bike has 8500 miles on it bigpapa.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I know this is probably a long shot but is this at all possible to do while the bike is on the side stand and not have to drain the oil?

Oh and the bike has 8500 miles on it bigpapa.
Between you and me...8500 miles you should have nothing to worry about. As far as doing the clutch on the side stand, absolutely!. You only lose a few drops when you open up the clutch. Maybe a couple tablespoons at best. When I did my clutch last time, 45 minutes start to finish on the side stand with someone helping me get the pipes off and back on. Also, just in case and you are out in the field and have to do it, print this off.

http://bigpapam109.com/clutch.htm
http://bigpapam109.com/downloads/clutch.pdf

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
How in the name of Zues' butthole do i get that 30mm basket nut loose?
Air impact wrench. Technically, you're supposed to hold the generator rotor while you remove it, but an impact wrench will take it loose.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Do you have a manual? It is easy. Like Zoom said, if you have a impact gun it is real easy. If you don't, no big deal. You just need to do it from the generator which is on the opposite of the bike. You need someone to hold that with a ratchet or breaker bar while you undo the nut. It tells you in the manual the procedure. If you need it let me know, and Tuesday I can extract that part of the pdf and send it to you via email.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks lee and you to big. You guys have been awesome! If there is every anything i have that you need, say the word and it's yours.

G

·
If you don't want to invest in an impact wrench (they can run several undred bucks easy), lotsa tool rental places will have them...that's what I did when I pulled mine apart. If memory serves it was $15 for a day's rental.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Neighbor two doors down to the rescue!! The nut wasn't hand loose but it was out from flush. It this is my problem it doesn't take much for it to be an issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
clutch cable

In my experience this isnt the cable. it was the clutch nut on mine which is inside the clutch assembly. i had to have it towed and the warranty covered it.. good luck.:doorag:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts