M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ... On my way to work this morning. Hit off ramp, downshift to 3rd, no traffic, back on gas. Stop light coming up, brake, clutch down shift 2-n-1. WTF ... She doesent want to stop! More brake pressure ... Surging like crazy. Light changes, back on gas. Attempt to up shift ... Won't budge. Blip throttle, upshift. CRAP ... now it won't go anywhere. Blip throttle again, stomp on shifter ... Neutral, thank God.

Inspected the clutch cable, all seems normal. Then I remember reading about the damn tubular clutch nut. Search ... Read ... Yep, that's what I got. Too far from home to try and nurse it home. So I called the dealer I bought her from and sales manager came to get me.

Walked into service department and the service manager knew exactly what I was talking about. Suzuki really needs to address this. Luckily I wasn't going very fast and had time to slow down.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
So ... On my way to work this morning. Hit off ramp, downshift to 3rd, no traffic, back on gas. Stop light coming up, brake, clutch down shift 2-n-1. WTF ... She doesent want to stop! More brake pressure ... Surging like crazy. Light changes, back on gas. Attempt to up shift ... Won't budge. Blip throttle, upshift. CRAP ... now it won't go anywhere. Blip throttle again, stomp on shifter ... Neutral, thank God.

Inspected the clutch cable, all seems normal. Then I remember reading about the damn tubular clutch nut. Search ... Read ... Yep, that's what I got. Too far from home to try and nurse it home. So I called the dealer I bought her from and sales manager came to get me.

Walked into service department and the service manager knew exactly what I was talking about. Suzuki really needs to address this. Luckily I wasn't going very fast and had time to slow down.
When I bought my bike, it was brand new. At 1k miles on it, I tore mine down and inspected it in fear but have had no problems and am at 37k miles. It is a hit or miss thing. Guaranteed the % is very very low for those that it has happened to, but it does suck. Glad the dealer is handling it for you and you got out of the situation unharmed. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got bike used with 8,000 miles on it 2 months ago. It's an 07 that seemed to be well maintained. First week I had it the rear diff started leaking. Shaft seal went bad. Dealer took care of it. I'm hoping they take care of this also. Clutch plates are normal wear and tear items and not covered under any warranty. The clutch nut from what I can tell is not supposed to loosen itself.

There seems to be quite a few people that have delt with this issue. On this forum and others. The service manager knew exactly what I was talking about. He said he's seen quite a few 109's with this problem.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Is the clutch nut issue attributed to the clutch shudder problem, or does it give a different symptom?
Not at all.

There seems to be quite a few people that have delt with this issue. On this forum and others. The service manager knew exactly what I was talking about. He said he's seen quite a few 109's with this problem.
What is quite a few? if he has had 6 or 7 bikes in over the last 4 years, that may be quite a few for him. I have seen my fair share on here, but it isn't a high number at all. Probably less then 1% is my guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not at all.

What is quite a few? if he has had 6 or 7 bikes in over the last 4 years, that may be quite a few for him. I have seen my fair share on here, but it isn't a high number at all. Probably less then 1% is my guess.
I don't have figures, and I don't know what the service manager considers "quite a few". But, if 1% of the members on this forum have/had this problem that's 165. Let's say .5%, that's 82. That's just this forum. I'm my opinion that's 165 people who could have had an accident because of bad engineering. Not being able to disengage an 1800cc motor from a 700lb bike is a bit of a problem.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I don't have figures, and I don't know what the service manager considers "quite a few". But, if 1% of the members on this forum have/had this problem that's 165. Let's say .5%, that's 82. That's just this forum. I'm my opinion that's 165 people who could have had an accident because of bad engineering. Not being able to disengage an 1800cc motor from a 700lb bike is a bit of a problem.
The number of members on here is "skewed" and not real accurate. But, if we say even 500 out of 20,000 bikes had that problem, it still isn't that big of a deal that for suzuki to step up and have to do a mass recall. Even if it was, they wouldn't anyway..guaranteed as they are just that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts